Your latest Queen buys Part 2

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Tero

Re: Your latest Queen buys Part 2

Post by Tero »

My latest purchases are the shaped 7" picture discs of Breakthru and I'm Going Slightly Mad, which I picked up in my local second hand stores... I also have Freddie's RSD single arriving in mail in the near future, to complete my 7" collection once more.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Bought a copy of the SAS Band live album The Show online and much to my surprise it's signed by a bunch of the people who took part, despite not being advertised as such and only setting me back a tenner.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Result.

They must have done a few like that. I picked up one like that in a charity shop a couple of years back.

It really is a good album, and the DVD of it is quite good too.

Another one worth getting, if you ever see it, is Jeff Scott Soto live at the Queen Convention. Really good well played, sung, and notably LONG set of performances

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

I'll keep an eye out.

Been trying to work out who the signatures are. Definitely looks like Spike on the front, along with another that I can't make out because sadly it's largely rubbed off. There's also something on the back that looks like it might've been a signature too but which is now also mostly rubbed off. That's the trouble with gloss paper.

The one's inside are easier to decipher because they look to mostly be signed next to the artist's entry in the liner notes. Arthur Brown, Paul Young (the "Everytime You Go Away" one), Fish, Tony Hadley, Jamie Moses and backing signers Susie Webb and Zoe Nicholas all seem to have added their Hancock. No Roger sadly!

Kes

Post by Kes »

I got the members of The Cross to sign a Blue Rock CD booklet at their reunion gig at Guildford. Only missed out on one signature in the process.

You'd think it was Roger, nope, it was Spike Edney. Luckily, the SAS Band's PR, was based out of Horley, which literally was just down the road from where I lived, so I popped down there, and simply asked if they could get Spike to sign it next time he was in.

Two weeks later, they phoned me up, and I went and collected it.

Funny that gig in Guildford, I was sat out the front of the place having a cigarette, and this bloke came across, and asked for a light. I knew it was Josh McCrae immediately, and was sat there chatting to him for about ten minutes, talking allsorts about his work with Mr Taylor. Hundreds of Queen fans were walking past, completely oblivious.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Kes wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:06 pm Result.

They must have done a few like that. I picked up one like that in a charity shop a couple of years back.

It really is a good album, and the DVD of it is quite good too.

Another one worth getting, if you ever see it, is Jeff Scott Soto live at the Queen Convention. Really good well played, sung, and notably LONG set of performances
that's a good one indeed.

if JSS was indeed waiting in the wings in 2005, he would have done a great job.
and if the post Rodgers pre lambert discussions had come to fruition, I'm sure he'd push for more deep cuts ala the convention dvd

Kes

Post by Kes »

A few years back, I went to a fan club bash at Knebworth Park, I think it was on an anniversary of Queen's gig there. A well organised little gathering.

Jackie brought along Spike Edney, Jamie Moses, and Jeff Scott Soto, and just sat in a small group on the grass, near Knebworth House, we were treated to a nice long acoustic jamming session, featuring dozens of Queen songs. There was also an exhibition of Queen stuff set up in the house.

That was the first time I met Peter Freestone, and sat and had a half hour one on one chat with him. I found out a lot of shit I didn't previously know talking to him. According to him, hoping to visit Freddie, Roger phoned on his mobile from the end of Logan Place early in the morning, when Freddie died, concerned about the number of press parked up there. He told him that Fred had just gone (in both senses), and not to drive up to where the press had camped out, as the announcent that he'd died was to be made public imminently. Yeah, we talked rather in depth about the previous few weeks before that event.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Back to that JSS DVD, him and his band were doing his own stuff, with a couple of Queen songs thrown in, and then were asked to play at that Convention.

So they rehearsed like crazy, and did a two and a half hour Queen set, and a separate half hour acoustic set on another day, just for that one off event.

Given the circumstances, that DVD is f*cking brilliant.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:15 am A few years back, I went to a fan club bash at Knebworth Park, I think it was on an anniversary of Queen's gig there. A well organised little gathering.

Jackie brought along Spike Edney, Jamie Moses, and Jeff Scott Soto, and just sat in a small group on the grass, near Knebworth House, we were treated to a nice long acoustic jamming session, featuring dozens of Queen songs. There was also an exhibition of Queen stuff set up in the house.

That was the first time I met Peter Freestone, and sat and had a half hour one on one chat with him. I found out a lot of shit I didn't previously know talking to him. According to him, hoping to visit Freddie, Roger phoned on his mobile from the end of Logan Place early in the morning, when Freddie died, concerned about the number of press parked up there. He told him that Fred had just gone (in both senses), and not to drive up to where the press had camped out, as the announcent that he'd died was to be made public imminently. Yeah, we talked rather in depth about the previous few weeks before that event.
sounds like a great event.
Freestone never ceases to amaze me, I must have read/listened to him talk about Freddie for days/weeks at this point, and yet he contines to be able to pull out little nuggets and new stories.
The story you are refering to is what Roger mentiones in the Days of our lives doc, right?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Can't really remember it from the documentary.

At that thing in Knebworth, I probably asked him a few things, that even then, still seemed a bit raw. He was quite open, but obviously emotional at times.

One particular bit was when Freddie returned from his last time in Montreux. By this time, the press had got wind that something was up, and there were a couple of reporters, on shift work, permanently outside the garden door. Freddie would enter and leave his house from another one located in Logan Mews, that he also owned (and had a connecting door), incidentally that's how Freddie was removed, away from the prying eyes of the paparazzi, after he died. I think Freddie had gone to Montreux for just a few days, but without Peter, just to get a bit of peace and quiet. He remembered how much more downhill Freddie had looked in just a few days.