Your latest Queen buys Part 2

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Leigh Burne

Re: Your latest Queen buys Part 2

Post by Leigh Burne »

Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:40 pmI'm sure it was available on CD as well.
It is :) That’s what I meant by looking at the DVD, for the extra acoustic songs.
Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:47 pmGod, they want some money for that!
There’s one on Discogs for £20. Best snap it up!

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:55 pm
Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:40 pmI'm sure it was available on CD as well.
It is :) That’s what I meant by looking at the DVD, for the extra acoustic songs.
Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:47 pmGod, they want some money for that!
There’s one on Discogs for £20. Best snap it up!
the acousitc set has worse quality, both sound and video. it was a last minute thing, and not planned like the previous day had been. thus the recording was also set up in the very last minute
still; worth it if you're remotely interested

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Kes wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:06 pmAnother one worth getting, if you ever see it, is Jeff Scott Soto live at the Queen Convention. Really good well played, sung, and notably LONG set of performances
Thanks for the suggestion on this - I got that £20 CD from Discogs and yesterday I gave it a spin. Absolutely fantastic. Aside from the rock-solid performances, the setlist was superb, including a whole bunch of stuff I've never heard done live before. Most enjoyable album I've listened to for quite a while.

Kes

Post by Kes »

When QPR were touring, you'd quite often see Jeff Scott Soto sat at the mixing desk. He was the stand by for Paul Rodgers, in case, well, you know, in case.

He wouldn't have been there, unless he was either a big fan of the band, or he might come in useful. I think it was a bit of both.

I think I first saw him with SAS Band.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Kes wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:17 pm When QPR were touring, you'd quite often see Jeff Scott Soto sat at the mixing desk. He was the stand by for Paul Rodgers, in case, well, you know, in case.

He wouldn't have been there, unless he was either a big fan of the band, or he might come in useful. I think it was a bit of both.

I think I first saw him with SAS Band.
Was he lurking in the wings in 2008? (Or in the US in 2006?)

Kes

Post by Kes »

I saw Q+PR four times, and know I saw him at two of them. Just a bit confused which two.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

I don't doubt he was there, but I'm not convinced he was there as a PR backup. If PR couldn't go on one night, surely you can't have "QUEEN AND PAUL RODGERS (the part of Paul Rodgers will be played by an understudy)"?

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Kes wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:03 am I saw Q+PR four times, and know I saw him at two of them. Just a bit confused which two.
Met him once too at a QPR gig..in Birmingham 2005.
He was doing a short UK tour with Soul Sirkus at the time

Kes

Post by Kes »

Generic username wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:15 am I don't doubt he was there, but I'm not convinced he was there as a PR backup. If PR couldn't go on one night, surely you can't have "QUEEN AND PAUL RODGERS (the part of Paul Rodgers will be played by an understudy)"?

I heard from other sources at the time, that at some gigs, Paul needed a bit of talking around, to go out and do it. B&R were never quite sure whether or not Paul would just say "F@ck it!" and not even turn up.

And then you see Jeff Scott Soto sat there. Someone who Spike Edney was very aware, could do a show or two if required. Draw your own conclusions. Either way, I know what I think.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Kes wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:23 pm
Generic username wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:15 am I don't doubt he was there, but I'm not convinced he was there as a PR backup. If PR couldn't go on one night, surely you can't have "QUEEN AND PAUL RODGERS (the part of Paul Rodgers will be played by an understudy)"?

I heard from other sources at the time, that at some gigs, Paul needed a bit of talking around, to go out and do it. B&R were never quite sure whether or not Paul would just say "F@ck it!" and not even turn up.

And then you see Jeff Scott Soto sat there. Someone who Spike Edney was very aware, could do a show or two if required. Draw your own conclusions. Either way, I know what I think.
Interesting indeed.

I don’t know anything about what went on behind the scenes, but, PR strikes me as the consummate professional, and who wouldn’t be a diva and walk out of a contract he’d already signed
(Assuming that the paper work had been done and signed prior to the tour)

The fact that 2006 happened, a new album + another tour?
I can’t quite imagine what happened that made him go from not showing up for the gig, to committing to a studio album + tour.
(A massive pay day is an obvious answer, but then again, would BM/RT bother if they really thought PR was a loose cannon?)