Your latest Queen buys Part 2

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
eiricd

Re: Your latest Queen buys Part 2

Post by eiricd »

Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:50 am Can't really remember it from the documentary.

At that thing in Knebworth, I probably asked him a few things, that even then, still seemed a bit raw. He was quite open, but obviously emotional at times.

One particular bit was when Freddie returned from his last time in Montreux. By this time, the press had got wind that something was up, and there were a couple of reporters, on shift work, permanently outside the garden door. Freddie would enter and leave his house from another one located in Logan Mews, that he also owned (and had a connecting door), incidentally that's how Freddie was removed, away from the prying eyes of the paparazzi, after he died. I think Freddie had gone to Montreux for just a few days, but without Peter, just to get a bit of peace and quiet. He remembered how much more downhill Freddie had looked in just a few days.
if my timeline is correct, I think the Knebworth event was prior to the documentary, so you got an exclusive :)

Interesting to read your account...in one of those unofficial, straight to dvd documentaries, Freestone talks a bit about Freddie's last visit to Montreux. He clearly states it was october, and he also says something (can't remember the quote) that definitely suggest that he may well have done some recording during that last visit.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:35 amGiven the circumstances, that DVD is f*cking brilliant.
What's the sound and picture quality like? I notice the CD says it's a soundboard.
Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:50 amCan't really remember it from the documentary.
Roger definitely mentions getting the call whilst on his way over telling him he needn't bother.

Kes

Post by Kes »

eiricd wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:15 am
if my timeline is correct, I think the Knebworth event was prior to the documentary, so you got an exclusive :)

Interesting to read your account...in one of those unofficial, straight to dvd documentaries, Freestone talks a bit about Freddie's last visit to Montreux. He clearly states it was october, and he also says something (can't remember the quote) that definitely suggest that he may well have done some recording during that last visit.
From what I remember he told me, he didn't go, but I think it was Freddie's intention to do something, but he didn't know whether he did or not.

Around the time of the Knebworth thing, a lot was happening. I was friends with Peter Jones, Freddie's driver before Terry Giddings, who it turn is still friends with Straker. I was getting to have chats with more and more people on the fringes of the Queen inner and outer circles. I even offered to do a Q&A with Mary Austin, who wrote back saying basically "No thanks!" Still, at least she replied, and didn't just blank it.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:19 am
Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:35 amGiven the circumstances, that DVD is f*cking brilliant.
What's the sound and picture quality like? I notice the CD says it's a soundboard.
Kes wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:50 amCan't really remember it from the documentary.
Roger definitely mentions getting the call whilst on his way over telling him he needn't bother.
The sound is pretty good, considering what is a definitely a shoe string budget.
PQ is not good, but shouldn’t be a dealbreaker if you’re at all interested in checking it out

Kes

Post by Kes »

Yeah, picture quite isn't amazing, there's a LOT of material on there, well over three hours, as I remember. The sound is pretty good. Remember, it was filmed at a convention, at a holiday camp, not the O2.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Yeah, tbh I’m mostly interested in the audio, I was only looking at the DVD because it’s got the extra acoustic set that I could rip to a CD.

So long as the audio’s decent, I might look into getting a copy.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I'm sure it was available on CD as well.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Disc 1:
01. Procession
02. Let Me Entertain You
03. Tie Your Mother Down
04. Another One Bites the Dust
05. I Want to Break Free
06. Keep Yourself Alive
07. Spread Your Wings
08. Dragon Attack

Medley
09. Death On Two Legs
10. Princes Of The Universe
11. Tenement Funster
12. Flick Of The Wrist
13. Innuendo
14. Ogre Battle
15. I'm In Love With My Car
16. Band Intro
17. Fat Bottomed Girls
18. '39
19. Hammer to Fall
20. Don't Stop Me Now
21. You're My Best Friend
22. Save Me

Disc 2:
01. I Want It All
02. (Guitar Solo: Featuring Howie Simon)
03. Stone Cold Crazy

Piano Medley:
04. Dear Friends
05. You Take My Breath Away
06. Love Of My Life
07. Good Old Fashioned Loverboy
08. Jealousy
09. Nevermore
10. Lily Of The Valley
11. The Millionaire's Waltz
12. Who Wants To Live Forever

13. Somebody to Love
14. Killer Queen
15. Play the Game
16. These Are the Days of Our Lives
17. It's Late
18. Under Pressure
19. Radio Ga Ga
20. (Drum Solo Featuring Alex Papa)
21. We Will Rock You
22. We Are the Champions

Encore:
23. Bohemian Rhapsody
24. The Show Must Go on
25. God Save the Queen

Kes

Post by Kes »

God, they want some money for that!

Does anyone pay over a hundred quid for a double CD these days?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Saying that. I've got a genuine EMI Swindon pressed CD of Star Fleet.

As far as I can tell, it was never actually commercially released, and was made as a test pressing for Brian May. Can only be half a dozen or so in existence, and I've never seen another one like it for sale, EVER.

Bet that drops in value, when a Brian May Gold Series version of it gets put out.