Roger and Brian to make new songs for QE

Discuss the Queen Extravaganza Project In Here

Roger and Brian to make new songs for QE

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Some time back I suggested this on the forum. I got stick and was the laughing stock of the forum for some days. I can imagine that some of you choked as you were enjoying your morning coffee when you read todays interview with Roger Taylor. I take the liberty to quote:

DJ: "Do you see a point where they, like you, would start performing new music, writing new music? Maybe you and Brian can contribute new songs to them."

Roger: "That's actually a very insightful (to use the American word) question. It has occurred to me because they really do have their own character. And I wanted them to develop their own character, as a band and as individuals obviously. And yes, I could see that happening, because they're good enough. They're amazingly talented. And I think that might be a development, but I would leave it up to them. But in the meantime, they're doing our material obviously. But I could see that happening. "

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Re: Roger and Brian to make new songs for QE

Postby BitterTears » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:01 pm

It sounds like he's saying more that the band could write their own songs, he seemed to sidestep the question of if him and the Doctor might contribute.

Seems like a bad idea though. They are a tribute band...does anyone want to go along to see them perform their own stuff under the QX banner? It's like the old joke about the crowd groaning when a band says 'here's a track from our new album' expect this would be 10 times as bad!

Hey, I'm sure they are all very talented and have some good songs in them but...time and a place, I would have thought.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 pm

BitterTears wrote:It sounds like he's saying more that the band could write their own songs, he seemed to sidestep the question of if him and the Doctor might contribute.

Seems like a bad idea though. They are a tribute band...does anyone want to go along to see them perform their own stuff under the QX banner? It's like the old joke about the crowd groaning when a band says 'here's a track from our new album' expect this would be 10 times as bad!

Hey, I'm sure they are all very talented and have some good songs in them but...time and a place, I would have thought.

Fair enough that. I don't know whether its a good or a bad idea. The main thing is that Roger is open to this, and it might happen in future. The Queen Extravaganza band has already recorded a song with Marc Martel, but under his name.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Bad idea IMO, if Brian and Roger decides to write for this. It's a tribute band after all.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Bri » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:01 pm

What a joke!

If they release anything there is no way RT or BM would gift them a song - why would they?

They would just do it themselves!

And if Qex release anything without the Queen name it will just bomb!
It's better to burn out - than to fade away!

Bri
The Show Must Go On

Im crusin' in overdrive....

Postby julymorning » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 pm

I think you have to think outside of the box on this one. Some of us that have followed the band members since pretty much day one are quite fond of some of Marc's songs and Tyler's, especially Tyler's. (I'm personally not as familiar with much of the rest of them's original work, though I've listened and liked as much as I've found.)

Roger let Marc and Tyler sell their own newly released cd's at the North American concerts this year, I wonder how many were snatched up?
My point is, while I'm sure it would be a bomb for them to play anything non-original Queen to first time audiences,
over here for those that's already seen them at least once, loved them enough to keep in touch with what they do in their 'off' time, hearing them perform a couple of their own pieces would be a real treat! We'd also like to see the concert time extended up to two hour+ gigs like they used to be.

And as for anyone of Queen to sit down and collaborate on a bit of music, why not? it's not like it hasn't been done before. It should be labeled under the Queen Extravaganza name, though, with the appropriate writing credits.

It's time for folks to stop thinking about Queen Extravaganza as a "karaoke" band.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Bri » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 pm

julymorning wrote:It's time for folks to stop thinking about Queen Extravaganza as a "karaoke" band.

Errr....thats exactly what they are! They were nobodies before this and they will soon be nobodies again after this finishes!

I cant believe RT says "close your eyes and it is like Freddie is in the room again" - it's almost like he wants to make money out of it or something!

Bri
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:24 pm

Bri wrote:
julymorning wrote:It's time for folks to stop thinking about Queen Extravaganza as a "karaoke" band.

Errr....thats exactly what they are! They were nobodies before this and they will soon be nobodies again after this finishes!

I cant believe RT says "close your eyes and it is like Freddie is in the room again" - it's almost like he wants to make money out of it or something!

Exactly !
No hard sell, eh Rog :roll:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby AdamMethos » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:04 am

Bri wrote:They were nobodies before this and they will soon be nobodies again after this finishes!

Marc Martel's band Downhere was fairly well known in the Christian music world before the whole QE thing. QE is fairly well known in the Queen music fan world. Same difference. QE didn't suddenly made them all famous, just more well known in a different niche group.

AdamMethos
Spread Your Wings

Sir Lurk-a-lot

Postby julymorning » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:43 am

Bri wrote:

This is your opinion, and everyone has one, you know how the saying goes. So what if one or six others agree with you, because you haven't done your homework and know the backgrounds of these people. Nobodies? Not exactly.

But you are welcome to your opinion, you're outnumbered so it doesn't count.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby DLCVJazz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:35 am

I like QE, but do this, it would be so bizarre and non sense

DLCVJazz
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:03 am

DLCVJazz wrote:I like QE, but do this, it would be so bizarre and non sense

Maybe this is very close to the bottom of the barrel :-P
From working with Bowie, EJ, Freddie the man himself, etc, to this...yep it would be bizarre if this were to happen. How would they write songs, would be as polished, as dramatic as the songs written for Queen, or something less polished as TCR?
I can't imagine Brian And Roger writing songs with their hearts on their sleeves for a tribute band. Right now I can't imagine them writing for a tribute band at all.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Bri » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:54 am

julymorning wrote:This is your opinion, and everyone has one, you know how the saying goes. So what if one or six others agree with you, because you haven't done your homework and know the backgrounds of these people. Nobodies? Not exactly.

Well known on a niche area of a board about the group they represent :roll:

julymorning wrote:But you are welcome to your opinion, you're outnumbered so it doesn't count.

Hmmm... Great thinking there - that attitude has worked really well in history hasn't it!

Anyway - I will admit to being slightly bored last night and straying into this area of the board for some baiting fun. Hook - line and all that!

As you all said - we all have opinions and if you enjoy this then knock yourselves out.

Enjoy yourselves - I am going back to the section about Queen! :D

Bri
The Show Must Go On

Return to Queen Extravaganza