Hammersmith (Live album)

Discuss the Queen Extravaganza Project In Here

Re: Hammersmith (Live album)

Postby julymorning » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Another_Roger wrote:Sweet Lady. The guy who recorded this must have an extremely great mic on his phone....

phpBB [video]

Yah, but I could shoot him for ending it at the beginning of Tyler's solo. I would have shared it on fb if it was complete. I have friends that were there, including Tyler's Mom, and she's so proud to know that so many people love his talent(s) that they want to show all their friends.

Understandably, I guess, not many recordings were made Sunday. I've got "Under Pressure" up and I can't even hear it unless I switch to Explorer. (Outdated Chrome)
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Another_Roger » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:21 pm

julymorning wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:I have just downloaded it. It sounds great! Marc's voice is just extremely good. I love songs like Seasisde, Prophets Song, Sweet Lady, Love of My Life. 10 out of 10! But I still have a lot of the show left. Good Company is coming up next. :)

Is Francois still singing it? So good they are using his voice more. He's like a chameleon with it!

He indeed sang it. And unlike Montreux there were no problems with the ukulele this time. Great version, and a great live album to me. I have listened through several times and I really enjoy it. I love the speech Marc does during the " Fat Bottomed Girls intro. Top guy this!

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Another_Roger » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:25 pm

julymorning wrote:
Another_Roger wrote:Sweet Lady. The guy who recorded this must have an extremely great mic on his phone....

phpBB [video]

Yah, but I could shoot him for ending it at the beginning of Tyler's solo. I would have shared it on fb if it was complete. I have friends that were there, including Tyler's Mom, and she's so proud to know that so many people love his talent(s) that they want to show all their friends.

Understandably, I guess, not many recordings were made Sunday. I've got "Under Pressure" up and I can't even hear it unless I switch to Explorer. (Outdated Chrome)

That problem is now being adressed. If you dont mind.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Another_Roger » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:29 pm

Under Pressure:

phpBB [video]

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:35 pm

In terms of quality and being able to reproduce what they did in the studio, on a live stage, I think it's fair to say that Queen were probably never as technically accurate as QE manage night in, night out.

There are probably a few good excuses for this, stage monitoring systems have moved on light years since 1986, and the fact that pioneering is always harder than following in someone else's footprints.

Either way, QE are a tight and impressive unit, and their live album's a stormer, especially given that copies of that CD were being sold in the theatre the SAME evening that it was recorded, so there isn't any mixing, remixing, or overdubbing. What you get was what was coming out of the PA there on the night.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby AlexKx » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:04 pm

Wow, that's crazy!

Well, what you all are saying about "Return Of The Champions" is credibility for re-release! But this time give it a great cover and packaging AND more than just the "Under Pressure" that was left out! I love how "Alright Now" was sandwiched by "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" on the 2006 leg of the tour too! They should also include three studio songs such as "Take Love"!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:45 pm

No, I don't think I'd go that far.

ROTC has had it's day. I'd sooner see a QAL show get a first release than ROTC get a re-release, and I'm not that keen on the former idea either!
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Another_Roger » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Kes wrote:In terms of quality and being able to reproduce what they did in the studio, on a live stage, I think it's fair to say that Queen were probably never as technically accurate as QE manage night in, night out.

There are probably a few good excuses for this, stage monitoring systems have moved on light years since 1986, and the fact that pioneering is always harder than following in someone else's footprints.

Either way, QE are a tight and impressive unit, and their live album's a stormer, especially given that copies of that CD were being sold in the theatre the SAME evening that it was recorded, so there isn't any mixing, remixing, or overdubbing. What you get was what was coming out of the PA there on the night.

Did Queen want to reproduce the studio recordings though? Freddie often said it would be pointless, and that you could rather listen to the record then. But I guess Queen also changed songs to be able to play them as well.

Another_Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:07 pm

Being fair, what I was trying to say, is that due to the on-stage sound quality, and being able to hear what you are playing in relation to the other band members, the technology wasn't there for a band to be as tight as they potentially can be today.

These days, you have REALLY good inner ear monitors, like Westone for example, and everything is better balanced through them, and more immediate, so it's easier to play together as a band, and get the performance right. Back in the days of Queen doing Wembley, it was on-stage monitor speaker cabinets, and there was a natural delay between the time you played a note and you hearing it, it might be as little as a quarter of a second, but sometimes that's enough, especially if you're a drummer, and that's the amount of time it takes for what you're playing to come and go.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby julymorning » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:36 pm

Another_Roger wrote:
julymorning wrote:

phpBB [video]

That problem is now being adressed. If you dont mind.

Hahah, sorry Roger. Didn't know. I'd never shoot you, I promise. Not even mentally. It's just we're pretty proud of Tyler down here. His home town (Camden, Tn.) never did appreciate him and everyone likes to rub their (Camden folks') noses in his success.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby julymorning » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:41 pm

Another_Roger wrote:
Kes wrote:In terms of quality and being able to reproduce what they did in the studio, on a live stage, I think it's fair to say that Queen were probably never as technically accurate as QE manage night in, night out.

Did Queen want to reproduce the studio recordings though? Freddie often said it would be pointless, and that you could rather listen to the record then. But I guess Queen also changed songs to be able to play them as well.

Staying sober might help a bit too. It's odd that I read of some of the drinking by a couple of them, because I would have bet my left arm they were one of the few bands of that era that performed drug and alcohol free all the time. They were so professional on stage, and I thought pretty darn tight too.

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby eiricd » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Administrator wrote:
eiricd wrote:how the hell did this NOT happen with QPR?

We issued 2 or 3 tracks a night on the first tour in 2005/2006. You could collate your own live album, some preferred the tracks to the actual Return Of The Champions live album.

I got them all, including the blank cdrs. The inferior 192 kb mp3 quality make them sound muddy though :(

Same goes for the 2008 tour.

The compilation Kes talks about is neat, but again, the inferior mp3 quality lets it down in a big way

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby J Starbuck88 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:24 pm

Edit I found out how to download it, my apologies folks
My make up maybe flaking but my smile still stays on

J Starbuck88
Spread Your Wings

Is this A Kind of Magic? or does The Show Go On

Postby Another_Roger » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:46 pm

Prophets song: