Queen Extravaganza minus Martel?

Discuss the Queen Extravaganza Project In Here

Re: Queen Extravaganza minus Martel?

Postby Frank » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:37 pm

I kind of feel bad for the people who bought tickets expecting to see Marc Martel. It seemed like kind of a sly move. Because I don't think as many people would have wanted to buy tickets if they knew Marc Martel wasn't going to be there. For many, he was the reason for coming. You close your eyes and it was almost as if Freddie were singing. Now what? Nothing against the new guy. I'm sure he's very talented and will do the job. I just think this was kind of an underhanded move by Roger and Brian (or whoever is in charge of the advertising and selling of tickets).

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Postby julymorning » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Apparently many agree with you. People were very suspicious already, which is why I made this topic. Someone who knew the truth could have stepped in and cleared the air, surely, before now.
If not, I know a lot of people would like an explanation about that.. We'll probably never get one as long as the powers that be are alive.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby BitterTears » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:31 am

Statement from Marc: http://www.queenonline.com/news/stateme ... arc-martel

I guess everyone's on good terms if they are letting him post statements on the front page of QOL

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby sharon20 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:28 pm

He seems to have announced some collaboration he's gonna be involved in on his website for Nov/Dec. The dates don't exactly clash but there looks to be only a couple of days between end of QEX and beginning of that.

I watched some vids of the new guy, jeez I'm glad I didn't buy tickets.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby julymorning » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:01 pm

It IS a little painful to watch him right now. Not being used to him is probably the problem.

I think two things are going to happen, and it was probably anticipated. Too many empty seats for QE now so Queen with probably do one of two things, drop the whole ensemble or really bend over backwards to get lined back up with Marc. I bet Roger is sweating his butt off over this.

I pray that Queen Extravaganza are still successfully supported for the sake of Tyler, if no one else. He has much in his life he's put on the line to follow this dream in this place that it's gone. Being on the road like he's been, so far from home, is very hard on one's personal life no matter how glorious the working benefits. It can't fizzle out now. Who knows how long the Queen gig itself will last.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby sharon20 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:10 pm

I gave it a fair shot and watched several vids. I know it's often different live but his accent and pronunciation is too pronounced for me and his phrasing is all over the place. I even watched a couple of the musical theater ones and I just couldn't take to his odd phrasing at all. Some of the slower softer bits were ok but then in the louder or high bits his voice was just shouting and shrill rather than melodic. He plays piano which is a bonus and there was one that wan't too bad with him playing you take my breath away but I doubt it's for me. Hope everyone who does go enjoys it though.

Yeah agree about Tyler, he's said before on instagram he finds being away hard. Not sure what the deal is with Marc, get the impression he's been lining lots of stuff up for himself with his tribute band and releasing music and now the Klove tour thing.

Feel for the new guy tbh, it's gonna be an uphill battle to get some people to accept him.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby julymorning » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 pm

You know, it just came to me that I would have been thrilled if they'd brought Yvan back. I really enjoyed his voice and stage presence. Between Yvan, Tyler, Darren and Francois' excellent vocal abilities, I think they would have all the ranges to cover any Queen song.

Yvan only seems to have 6 events booked this Spring, and they appear to be smaller venues, so I bet he would have said "YES"!

Do you remember him from the first year? >one I took in St. Louis of him.
phpBB [video]

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby julymorning » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 pm

Yvan was another alumni from WWRY show, In think Toronto.

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby CNB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:09 pm

I saw QEX the first year they toured the US. That was with Jennifer Espinoza and Jeff Scott Soto as well as Marc. Was Tyler with the original group, I don’t remember? They were excellent and I remember being worried about how Adam was going to perform all of the songs in Kiev that 4 people were singing. This was all in the month of June in 2012.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby sharon20 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:35 pm

I never saw much of the original line-up except a couple of vids but the quality wasn't good. Yeah yvan sounded ok there but could he do the whole catalogue himself?

Bit odd getting a Brazillian guy with a strong accent IMO but who knows the reason.

I would have gone if it had been Jeff, loved the Queen convention thing he did that's on YouTube. He doesn't sound anything like Freddie but he's good and has stage presence.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby julymorning » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:37 pm

CNB wrote:I saw QEX the first year they toured the US. That was with Jennifer Espinoza and Jeff Scott Soto as well as Marc. Was Tyler with the original group, I don’t remember? They were excellent and I remember being worried about how Adam was going to perform all of the songs in Kiev that 4 people were singing. This was all in the month of June in 2012.

I also saw them at that time, we were there 5th show, I believe. Yes, Tyler was there from day one, I voted for him and Marc, I don't remember who else I voted for. Probably Tristan if I voted for anyone on lead. No one else stood out to me in those positions. You don't remember Yvan? It wasn't that any one person couldn't have sung every song, like Marc, it was done that way to make what might have been an impossible job to learn the whole set list (90 minutes worth) the way they wanted it done, in time for the tour. Maybe that's what you were implying with Adam.

Tyler could have done it, but Roger probably didn't appreciate the scope of that, at that time. What they said about this was, that it gave Marc's voice a break throughout the show. Brian and Roger AND Tyler too,now, did that for Adam.

I don't know if all the back up harmony was that necessary, they probably did that just to keep the singing members something to do between coming to the front.

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby julymorning » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:41 pm

sharon20 wrote:I never saw much of the original line-up except a couple of vids but the quality wasn't good. Yeah yvan sounded ok there but could he do the whole catalogue himself?

Bit odd getting a Brazillian guy with a strong accent IMO but who knows the reason.

I would have gone if it had been Jeff, loved the Queen convention thing he did that's on YouTube. He doesn't sound anything like Freddie but he's good and has stage presence.

I mean for using Yvan now. Rather than the Brazilian guy. No one has to sing it all, as I said, they still have 3 others with excellent voices. Francois' and Tyler both have good ranges and fairly convincing vocal mimicry.

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby julymorning » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:53 pm

JSS is way bigger with his own work than QEX. I love watching him cover Queen, his energy is astounding, for one thing. The other thing that I noticed right off about Jeff is that you get the feeling he really channels Freddie's intent (heart?) with the songs. Dragon Attack is one that he does better than anyone I've ever seen/heard, even though Brian wrote it, he certainly didn't write it for himself! Can you imagine? Maybe at age 35, maybe...... :lol:

But his schedule is crazy busy all over the world.

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby sharon20 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Julymorning Yeah, I didn't know much about him and wondered if he were able to do all the songs being how they had three other singers originally. Wonder whether they considered asking him or any of the others? Tyler could do some of the stuff but it looks like they just wanted one frontman. Hope it works but there's a lot of unhappy people at the moment.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby AdamMethos » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:06 pm

In the comments on his Facebook page, Marc clarified that this only affects the 2018 QE tour. So he could be back on a 2019 QE tour — provided they book him early enough!

AdamMethos
Spread Your Wings

Sir Lurk-a-lot

PreviousNext

Return to Queen Extravaganza