The Queen History Thread (pre-QAL)

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

The Queen History Thread (pre-QAL)

Postby GalileoFigaro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Round 2...

At the suggestion of JLP, who personally expressed his appreciation for my other thread entitled The Official Queen Education Thread for Glamberts, I have agreed that it would be in the forum's best interest to begin a new discussion here since the other one became embroiled in chaos this past weekend. The central idea here is the same, namely to clarify aspects of Queen that might not be known to some of Adam Lambert's fans or other Queen fans who are interested in learning. Again, this discussion exists to complement the other threads in this subforum -- not to neutralize any conversation regarding the current collaboration. There are no implications that anyone here needs a history lesson. This exists for informational purposes only, not to reignite the debate over the artistic or musical merits of QAL.

From what I have gathered, JLP may lock the other thread to any new discussion. To restrict the unnecessary banter, this thread will also be locked. You may drop either of us a PM when you'd like to ask a question and we will post as soon as we get the chance. Before you message either of us, please make sure that your inquiry had not been submitted in the education thread (hyperlinked above) or the old board:

http://discuss.queenonline.com/archive/viewforum.php?f=27

Replies deemed inappropriate to the conversation will be deleted at JLP's (or the other administrators' or moderators') discretion. Please do not attempt to backseat moderate. If this is currently posted in the wrong section, JLP will transfer it at his own disposition. Also, if you do not wish to take part, please do not reply to this thread. Let's try to make this an effort for the good of our combined community.

GalileoFigaro

ETA w/ JLP's new instructions:
JLP wrote:Thanks for this. What I will do is look at this thread a couple of times a day and remove anything inappropriate. If anyone has a question, post it in this thread and someone will hopefully provide an answer.
Last edited by GalileoFigaro on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Re: The Queen History Thread (pre-QAL)

Postby JLP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for this. What I will do is look at this thread a couple of times a day and remove anything inappropriate. If anyone has a question, post it in this thread and someone will hopefully provide an answer.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby GalileoFigaro » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:06 pm

As far as changes to the current setlist go, it's interesting that "I Want to Break Free" was christened as the replacement for "It's Late" considering that both singles hardly made waves in the United States when they were released. "It's Late" was released as a heavily edited single in 1977 without the solo and many of the fast bits (with "Sheer Heart Attack" as the B-side). It peaked at #74 on the Billboard Hot 100, nowhere near WWRY/WATC's #4 on the same chart. Like several of the singles since the release of Hot Space about two years earlier, "I Want to Break Free" was lackluster on the American charts, peaking at #45 on the Hot 100.

"Radio Ga Ga", from the same album, fared much better in the US -- #16.
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:42 pm

It's not really that surprising. IWTBF is a GH warhorse that they know how to play extremely well and we know Rog likes it (given he sang it on both his tours and often sings it with Spike's All Stars). If they were going to add a song to replace a song, they aren't going to go new....they are going to go with something they know well...and that Adam knows well...TYMD was probably the other option and hell they probably left it up to Adam and Adam does Break Free better anyways....

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby GalileoFigaro » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 am

You'd probably know better than me, but I don't believe they'd played IWTBF live as "Queen" often in the US. I think they tried it for a few shows with PR in 2006, but dropped it in the middle of the tour. Paul's voice never suited the song anyway.

Greatest Hits II wasn't released in America until it was packaged as part of The Platinum Collection around the turn of the century. TPC continues to do well around the world, especially in terms of online sales, but it's hard to gauge how well IWTBF has done by itself in the States in recent times. I know it has remained quite popular in the UK, but I don't think I've ever heard it on terrestrial radio in America (I wasn't around for its release, though). You're right that Adam's voice is better suited to it than "Tie Your Mother Down", though I'm still a bit taken aback that TYMD wasn't included in the setlist to begin with. Anyway, IWTBF seems to have been well-received so far, so I wonder if that's the nail in the coffin for the NOTW tracks. Fingers crossed that it's not.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Milkman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:56 am

GH II was released in the US as a stand alone CD in 1991. The Platinum Collection came out in 2000.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby GalileoFigaro » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:14 am

I based that from what I read on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_II_(Queen_album)

Ultimate Queen also makes no mention of a standalone North American release prior to 2011. According to Discogs, it seems that it was actually released in America as early as 1994, packaged with Greatest Hits I.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:13 am

GalileoFigaro wrote:You'd probably know better than me, but I don't believe they'd played IWTBF live as "Queen" often in the US. I think they tried it for a few shows with PR in 2006, but dropped it in the middle of the tour. Paul's voice never suited the song anyway.

Greatest Hits II wasn't released in America until it was packaged as part of The Platinum Collection around the turn of the century. TPC continues to do well around the world, especially in terms of online sales, but it's hard to gauge how well IWTBF has done by itself in the States in recent times. I know it has remained quite popular in the UK, but I don't think I've ever heard it on terrestrial radio in America (I wasn't around for its release, though). You're right that Adam's voice is better suited to it than "Tie Your Mother Down", though I'm still a bit taken aback that TYMD wasn't included in the setlist to begin with. Anyway, IWTBF seems to have been well-received so far, so I wonder if that's the nail in the coffin for the NOTW tracks. Fingers crossed that it's not.

No they haven't done it in America often....but it's still one of their "known" songs - part of the Coke campaign a few years back, etc. It's definitely MORE known than It's Late or even Spread Your Wings I think.

What I was saying is I don't think they were looking at what did well in America before...I think they were looking for an easy substitution the band and Adam already knew well and could do well and just slid it in.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby GalileoFigaro » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 am

Yep, I figured since that seems to be the case. And IWTBF, even with its lack of airplay in America today, is still infinitely more popular than the other two. It's a such a shame that they're not experimenting more with the album tracks. I guess hearing them at nine shows is better than nothing.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Milkman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 am

GalileoFigaro wrote:I based that from what I read on Wikipedia:

Ultimate Queen also makes no mention of a standalone North American release prior to 2011. According to Discogs, it seems that it was actually released in America as early as 1994, packaged with Greatest Hits I.

It's strange that discogs doesn't have the original US CD mentioned. I own it and I was working in a record store when it was released. I just remembered why! In the US it was called Classic Queen and it was released in early 1992. It had a slightly different track listing. The US version had four older Queen classics on it and the other versions had Invisible Man, Friends Will Be Friends, Breakthru, and It's A Hard Life.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 am

The Milkman wrote:
GalileoFigaro wrote:I based that from what I read on Wikipedia:

It's strange that discogs doesn't have the original US CD mentioned. I own it and I was working in a record store when it was released. I just remembered why! I the US it was called Classic Queen and it was released in early 1992. It had a slightly different track listing. The US version had four older Queen classics on it and the other versions had Invisible Man, Friends Will Be Friends, Breakthru, and It's A Hard Life.

There was also a GH that same year.
In Canada, there was also The Very Best Of Queen with the tracks you mention. I think that was realased. around 1996
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby The Milkman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:30 am

icy wrote:There was also a GH that same year.
In Canada, there was also The Very Best Of Queen with the tracks you mention. I think that was realased. around 1996

Yeah the red one. So the blue one was called "The Very Best of Queen" in Canada?

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:00 pm

The Milkman wrote:
icy wrote:There was also a GH that same year.

Yeah the red one. So the blue one was called "The Very Best of Queen" in Canada?

No, we had Classic Queen too. The Very Best Of Queen was a double cassette/CD that was black with the colored crest.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby GalileoFigaro » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Now I remember. After Hollywood Records acquired the distribution rights, Greatest Hits (the red one) was rereleased in North America in 1992 with a completely different track listing from the 1981 edition. It was marketed as a companion to Classic Queen. Probably so as to not confuse the consumers in North America, Greatest Hits II wouldn't have been released there so soon.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby Montavilla » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 am

I was listening to a podcast the other day, in which some reporter was talking about Prog Rock. He didn't mention Queen, which I thought a little odd, because he described it as (I'm paraphrasing) high-brow rock, mixing classical elements with heavy rock drums and guitar. Sounded a lot like Queen to me.

Anyhoo, last night I started watching some Queen documentary, Magic Moments, I believe. And in that one, they were definitely called Prog Rock (at least in Queen and Queen II).

So, is Queen Prog Rock? Or were they for a time, and then something else? Did they have an influence of the Prog Rock movement (which was described in the podcast as a dead end, or off-shoot genre).

Thank you in advance.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert