Queen + AL - Glasgow Green Friday 6th July

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Queen + AL - Glasgow Green Friday 6th July

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Peavy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
This is exactly the point I made elsewhere about Adam now coming across as more natural. It is very apparent that he is far more comfortable in his role now and that those wonderful songs have become a part of him. If he could just drop the lame jokes and the Freddie speech now I think QAL would be almost perfect.

And I just have to add that his vocals seem to be getting better and better; this has to do with the fact that he is more comfortable now and is singing these songs more naturally than he has ever done up to this point. The gigs seem to be moving more towards the spirit of rock 'n' roll as opposed to some overly scripted cabaret show. It's just a shame that they are now finally getting to a point where things are far more natural but probably won't be doing too many of these tours much longer (this could even be the last one - finishing in Vegas). Fingers crossed that they reign for a few more years.

From what I understand, I'm more optimistic about the future now...I think they have so much fun and will continue as long as possible. I don't think the Vegas ones will be their last.
And about Adam Lambert...that guy sings his ass off at these concerts!! I saw them 2-3 weeks ago in Berlin again and damn, can that guy sing! He might not have my favourite voice (still a very good one), but he takes it to the highest level possible, that's for sure! ;-)

I totally concur with you regarding Adam's voice (and have repeatedly stated so on here in the past): it is not totally my cup of tea (I prefer something more raw and rock 'n' roll), but, fuck me, can that man sing! To be honest, his vocals have grown on me a bit more lately - although I think that has more to do with the fact that he is singing more naturally now.

I know one thing for sure. This time last year I would not have seriously entertained the thought of going to see them live; now I most definitely would. I think they have grown into something very special this year and - to me as a diehard - worthy of the Queen name. If he would only now just drop the lame jokes and the Freddie speech (and the bike...although a bit of camp never hurt anybody!), I think the performances would flow even more naturally and be top notch.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:21 am

musicalprostitute wrote:I know one thing for sure. This time last year I would not have seriously entertained the thought of going to see them live; now I most definitely would. I think they have grown into something very special this year and - to me as a diehard - worthy of the Queen name. If he would only now just drop the lame jokes and the Freddie speech (and the bike...although a bit of camp never hurt anybody!), I think the performances would flow even more naturally and be top notch.

I don’t like that speech either and wished, that they had dropped it by now. It was discussed on an Adam forum last month. I found one explanation, why they still have it in the show, very convincing. I‘ll quote it here, I hope it’s OK.

Here is a scenario:

I am a life-long Queen fan. Maybe I even saw Freddie perform live. Or I have seen the videos and documentaries over the years. He was remarkable. Compelling. Larger than life. And tragically gone too soon. And with him, a bit of the music died. I grew up. Grew older. life went on. With my memories of that halcion time period amplifying in my memories of days gone by. There will never be anything like Queen and Freddie again.

Wait. What? Queen is performing again? Touring? Who knew they were still alive? And who is taking Freddie's place of honor? Not another legacy performer, but some guy half their age. And, an American. From a frickin' reality TV fake talent show. This can't be good. this can't be authentic. Why are Brian and Roger ruining their reputation? Their legacy? It's kinda pathetic, don't you think? Trying to recapture their glory days. Probably just a caricature of their former greatness.

But, who knows if I will ever have a chance to even get a glimpse of my youth again? Okay, I will go. I won't like it, but I'll just focus on Brian and Roger.

Wow! Cool! What a great opening. And the sound is fantastic. The energy off the charts. I catch myself being just a little swept away. But, I don't know. This American reality show boy is strutting around the stage like he belongs there. Like he owns it. Like "Who cares if Freddie isn't here? Who the hell was Freddie anyway?" He looks so pompous on that stage belting out that driving rock. Has he no respect? No humility? No sense of place and history?

Then, this boy pauses in the performance to show fealty to rock royalty in Brian and Roger. Says how honored and privileged he is to share the stage with them. That's right. I give him credit for recognizing their legacy. And then, he pays homage to Freddie, himself. Acknowledges that no one can replace him or be anything like him. Freddie will always have a singular place in the history of rock. Damned straight. This kid gets it. He is a fan, too. He shows humility and respect. He wants to celebrate the music of this great band with us.

Hell, yes! That I can get on board with. This is an amazing spectacle of a show, worthy of Queen's legend. And, damn! That boy can sing his face off. The music engulfs me and I let it, willingly. For a moment, I am back in my days of youth. Sharing an extraordinary experience with 15,000 other folks. What a fantastic night!

Read more: http://adamtopia.com/thread/4703/16-18- ... z5Kzj4FJT5

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Nicki79 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:13 am

A review from Glasgow: http://www.metaltalk.rocks/queen-adam-l ... sgow-green . The review is about the whole festival day and includes some other bands, so I quoted the Queen part.

(...) Headliners Queen are a band who have successfully crossed over into the mainstream while still retaining their rock street cred. The opening duo of songs in 'Seven Seas Of Rhye' and the classic riffing 'Tie Your Mother Down' illustrated that perfectly, a pair of genuine rock tunes embraced with open arms by a massive crowd of mixed ages and musical backgrounds.

They have clearly succeeded in getting past Adam Lambert being out there in front instead of Freddy Mercury, but just to make sure Lambert includes a "let's celebrate Freddy together" speech early on and then gets on with being his own man. He is a terrific, flamboyant performer and stomps around the stage in a succession of eye catching outfits, adding a colourful presence to proceedings which you can't help but smile at.

More importantly though he has the vocal chops to do this huge variety of songs justice, something that few could manage. Anyone wondering why he got the job just needs to hear him on 'Who Wants To Live Forever'; simply breathtaking.

His, shall we say, more experienced bandmates seem to be having a ball too. Brian May sounds in great form on his guitar and has a big smile on his face all of the time. Roger Taylor is the same, thoroughly enjoy playing drums, ably supported at times by second drummer Tyler Warren and revelling in the chance to sing lead on 'I'm In Love With My Car'.

Their original singer was never far away though too, appearing in video form in a couple of occasions to join in the fun. These days though it is the songs which are the real stars.

That incredible back catalogue has songs which are etched into people's souls and out in the hard partying masses where I was, the word perfect, ecstatic reaction to 'Don't Stop Me Now', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'Somebody To Love' and many more was a sight to behold. It was just a shame that 'Love Of My Life' was lost in an overlong and way too quiet acoustic set which might be better left for when they are back in the arenas.

By the final rousing chorus of set closer 'We Are The Champions' it was undeniable that whatever the circumstances and the billing, Queen + Adam Lambert is a magic combination and this was a triumphant headlining show. Forget any preconceptions, just go along and see for yourself that they're still a kind of magic.
Last edited by Nicki79 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby hardwired » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:18 am

How can anyone take this Review seriously when the writer is constantly referring to some "Freddy"?

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Nicki79 wrote:A review from Glasgow: http://www.metaltalk.rocks/queen-adam-l ... sgow-green . The review is about the whole festival day and includes some other bands, so I quoted the Queen part.

(...) Headliners Queen are a band who have successfully crossed over into the mainstream while still retaining their rock street cred. The opening duo of songs in 'Seven Seas Of Rhye' and the classic riffing 'Tie Your Mother Down' illustrated that perfectly, a pair of genuine rock tunes embraced with open arms by a massive crowd of mixed ages and musical backgrounds.

They have clearly succeeded in getting past Adam Lambert being out there in front instead of Freddy Mercury, but just to make sure Lambert includes a "let's celebrate Freddy together" speech early on and then gets on with being his own man. He is a terrific, flamboyant performer and stomps around the stage in a succession of eye catching outfits, adding a colourful presence to proceedings which you can't help but smile at.

More importantly though he has the vocal chops to do this huge variety of songs justice, something that few could manage. Anyone wondering why he got the job just needs to hear him on 'Who Wants To Live Forever'; simply breathtaking.

His, shall we say, more experienced bandmates seem to be having a ball too. Brian May sounds in great form on his guitar and has a big smile on his face all of the time. Roger Taylor is the same, thoroughly enjoy playing drums, ably supported at times by second drummer Tyler Warren and revelling in the chance to sing lead on 'I'm In Love With My Car'.

Their original singer was never far away though too, appearing in video form in a couple of occasions to join in the fun. These days though it is the songs which are the real stars.

That incredible back catalogue has songs which are etched into people's souls and out in the hard partying masses where I was, the word perfect, ecstatic reaction to 'Don't Stop Me Now', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'Somebody To Love' and many more was a sight to behold. It was just a shame that 'Love Of My Life' was lost in an overlong and way too quiet acoustic set which might be better left for when they are back in the arenas.

By the final rousing chorus of set closer 'We Are The Champions' it was undeniable that whatever the circumstances and the billing, Queen + Adam Lambert is a magic combination and this was a triumphant headlining show. Forget any preconceptions, just go along and see for yourself that they're still a kind of magic.

Yep, yet another positive review. Seems like the whole world and its wife simply love QAL...

...well, apart from a few bitter haters obviously - but literally no one gives a shit about their negative ramblings.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby sharon20 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Yeah all the reviews seem to have been great and the feedback from fans at the shows on facebook/twitter has been incredible, all loving it and wanting more. You can see on Brian & Roger's faces how much they're loving doing this and it must feel really great to be getting all this praise for it and obviously for Adam too.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby hardwired » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:24 pm

sharon20 wrote:Yeah all the reviews seem to have been great and the feedback from fans at the shows on facebook/twitter has been incredible, all loving it and wanting more. You can see on Brian & Roger's faces how much they're loving doing this and it must feel really great to be getting all this praise for it and obviously for Adam too.

Well if I google for bad reviews I could also come up with lots of them - dont be too blind.

Here is one I found in 3 seconds

https://www.houstonpress.com/music/quee ... ty-6520054

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 pm

hardwired wrote:
sharon20 wrote:Yeah all the reviews seem to have been great and the feedback from fans at the shows on facebook/twitter has been incredible, all loving it and wanting more. You can see on Brian & Roger's faces how much they're loving doing this and it must feel really great to be getting all this praise for it and obviously for Adam too.

Well if I google for bad reviews I could also come up with lots of them - dont be too blind.

And it took me 3 seconds to see it's from 2014. We've all been saying how brilliant the show has been this last tour so I was talking current reviews from the shows 2017/2018. I hardly think a review from 2014 is indicative of people's opinions now.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby hardwired » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:58 pm

sharon20 wrote:
hardwired wrote:

And it took me 3 seconds to see it's from 2014. We've all been saying how brilliant the show has been this last tour so I was talking current reviews from the shows 2017/2018. I hardly think a review from 2014 is indicative of people's opinions now.

I hardly believe you will say in 2014 it was crap was it?

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:12 pm

hardwired wrote:
sharon20 wrote:
hardwired wrote:Well if I google for bad reviews I could also come up with lots of them - dont be too blind.

The same newspaper 2017:
http://www.houstonpress.com/music/queen ... 17-9675124

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby sharon20 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 pm

hardwired wrote:

Well I didn't see the show live in 2014 so it's hard to have an opinion really but going off the review I would say they have now ironed out the problems of it being a pretty new venture and not being used to playing together. At that point they had done a handful of shows in 2012 and the iheart show but it was their first full tour.

I'n not sure you actually read the whole review since it actually praises Adam a lot, just not the whole thing together. The guy clearly thinks Adam has an incredible voice which is way better live than TV would have you believe, my exact sentiments after seeing him live and even went on to say this "All the people who believe the problem here is that Lambert can't fill Mercury's shoes have it all wrong; the problem is that Adam Lambert is too talented to vamp on stage while Brian May works his way through yet another (admittedly impressive) guitar solo" and this "Adam Lambert needs to find someone to write the right song that shows off his voice and his charisma".

Thanks for posting that it was one I hadn't seen and I found it quite interesting to see how the band have now gelled and become great as a band rather than two separate but talented entities.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby hardwired » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:57 pm

No problem - but the big Problem in QAL is AL himself for me lol

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert