Queen + Adam Lambert. Is It Queen? Does It Really Matter?

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Queen + Adam Lambert. Is It Queen? Does It Really Matter?

Postby YAFF » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:34 pm

There's a fundamental difference between Queen and Queen + Adam Lambert
Some people seem to fail to see the difference.

Queen is a hard rock band with theatrical flourishes who put on a rock concert
Queen + Adam Lambert is a a theatrical, cabaret-like, rock musical karaoke-type "show"

Now if you're into the latter you will be "blown away" by the "show". People who are enamored with pop culture are impressed by lights, glitter, smoke and mirrors, costumes and dancing but not necessarily the grittiness of rock & roll. It's a bit of harmless fun you might see as entertainment on a cruise ship.

The problem the way I see it is that many Queen fans think Brian & Roger have jumped the shark beginning with the WWRY musical, collabs with 5five, Robbie Williams, etc. onto QueenExtravaganza and reaching the nadir with an American B-list celebrity.....and have drug the Queen name down with it. Or have they really? No, real Queen is indomitable. The catalog, the canon, marches on, scooping up new fans daily.

But because everything Brian & Roger are involved in as of late is flashy and loud like American TV some object to the use of "Queen". Adam Lambert is a perfect fit for this because he's "showy" like a model on a catwalk or , well, a talent show contestant. He is a spectacle when he performs. His fans are in awe of the way he looks and the way he oversells songs that he sings. They like his voice for some of the same reasons others detest it. So it all just comes down to taste. When he "shows off" his voice with his powerful vibrato it both thrills and irritates depending on one's taste. To me and likely the reason so many think he's a "perfect fit" Adam Lambert is a cartoonish, exaggerated version of one aspect of Freddie Mercury. He is the campy, operatic, peacock-strutting Freddie in overdrive. What he is not and does not possess is the "soulfulness" of Freddie. Oh yes Freddie was one of the greatest "soul" singers ever. And more so the artistry of Freddie.

So to people like me Adam is hollow but I think I've come to accept that. It's not fair to compare a mere good entertainer like Lambert to a rarefied, musical genius that was Freddie Mercury.

Queen + AL is not Queen. If one just views it as a different beast it all makes sense. It could be seen as a parody of Queen or to be more charitable it's a pimped-out Broadway version of Queen. If you like it you are in luck.
Last edited by YAFF on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Re: Queen + Adam Lambert. Is It Queen?

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:41 pm

I like what I see in QAL...I'm not going to lie.

If I had the choice to see Queen or QAL, it would be Queen 7 times a week and twice on Sunday.

But between QAL and nothing, I'd make the same choice...QAL 7 times a week and twice on Sunday. No matter the "problems" or if Adam is no where near Freddie, I still enjoy the catalogue, I still like getting to see Brian and Roger play and I don't mind the flash and pomp. *shrugs* NO QAL will never approach Queen in terms of musical genius.

But not everything has to and I enjoy it for what it is...

OH and yes I would also choose Queen Forever or an anthology of QAL - but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy QAL since I don't have that option yet either!

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Queen + Adam Lambert. Is It Queen?

Postby YAFF » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:44 pm

soxtalon wrote:I like what I see in QAL...I'm not going to lie.

If I had the choice to see Queen or QAL, it would be Queen 7 times a week and twice on Sunday.

But between QAL and nothing, I'd make the same choice...QAL 7 times a week and twice on Sunday. No matter the "problems" or if Adam is no where near Freddie, I still enjoy the catalogue, I still like getting to see Brian and Roger play and I don't mind the flash and pomp. *shrugs* NO QAL will never approach Queen in terms of musical genius.

But not everything has to and I enjoy it for what it is...

OH and yes I would also choose Queen Forever or an anthology of QAL - but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy QAL since I don't have that option yet either!

And there you have it. Makes perfect sense to me. While others "got it" long ago I'm finally getting it. It is what it is. Not Queen but Queen + AL.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Re: Queen + Adam Lambert. Is It Queen? Does It Really Matter

Postby jayw » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Yep...true. We have the choice whether to view or not though, so those of us who just really can't get into Q +AL, just continue to view & listen to Queen, and there's nothing wrong with that

It's articles or thoughts like this that tick me tho' (granted it's from NME)

"....
Since Mercury's death in 1991, Queen have released one album of new recordings, 1995's 'Made In Heaven'. Queen tour North America in June with Adam Lambert, who has been Mercury's replacement since 2012....."

really? I know .... NME , but still, that is the impression that B & R have opened up, no matter how they themselves "clarify" it.

Like ya said, it is what it is.

jayw
We Will Rock You

Postby anotherone » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:35 pm

I really try to post here only when I have something relevant to say, so kudos to you YAFF for very eloquently summing up my thoughts on the whole matter and props for not loosing the perspective.

anotherone
Spread Your Wings

Postby sa5150 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:39 pm

YAFF wrote:There's a fundamental difference between Queen and Queen + Adam Lambert
Some people seem to fail to see the difference.

Queen is a hard rock band with theatrical flourishes who put on a rock concert
Queen + Adam Lambert is a a theatrical, cabaret-like, rock musical karaoke-type "show"

Now if you're into the latter you will be "blown away" by the "show". People who are enamored with pop culture are impressed by lights, glitter, smoke and mirrors, costumes and dancing but not necessarily the grittiness of rock & roll. It's a bit of harmless fun you might see as entertainment on a cruise ship.

The problem the way I see it is that many Queen fans think Brian & Roger have jumped the shark beginning with the WWRY musical, collabs with 5five, Robbie Williams, etc. onto QueenExtravaganza and reaching the nadir with an American B-list celebrity.....and have drug the Queen name down with it. Or have they really? No, real Queen is indomitable. The catalog, the canon, marches on, scooping up new fans daily.

But because everything Brian & Roger are involved in as of late is flashy and loud like American TV some object to the use of "Queen". Adam Lambert is a perfect fit for this because he's "showy" like a model on a catwalk or , well, a talent show contestant. He is a spectacle when he performs. His fans are in awe of the way he looks and the way he oversells songs that he sings. They like his voice for some of the same reasons others detest it. So it all just comes down to taste. When he "shows off" his voice with his powerful vibrato it both thrills and irritates depending on one's taste. To me and likely the reason so many think he's a "perfect fit" Adam Lambert is a cartoonish, exaggerated version of one aspect of Freddie Mercury. He is the campy, operatic, peacock-strutting Freddie in overdrive. What he is not and does not possess is the "soulfulness" of Freddie. Oh yes Freddie was one of the greatest "soul" singers ever. And more so the artistry of Freddie.

So to people like me Adam is hollow but I think I've come to accept that. It's not fair to compare a mere good entertainer like Lambert to a rarefied, musical genius that was Freddie Mercury.

Queen + AL is not Queen. If one just views it as a different beast it all makes sense. It could be seen as a parody of Queen or to be more charitable it's a pimped-out Broadway version of Queen. If you like it you are in luck.

Could not say it any better , I was just at the Chicago show .Your review is right on !!!

sa5150
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Of course there is a difference. Anyone with half a brain knows that.

I love Queen - the real Queen - but I am also open to the post-Freddie incarnations of Queen. For me, if it keeps the music alive, then I am happy enough. We can all argue here about the rights and wrongs of these Queen+ stuff until we choke on our own bitching cocks, but the Queen legacy will remain untouched.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Liberty » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi all,

Ever since i saw Adam Lambert on American Idol, i knew he had something special. He started his audition with a Queen song and played another one at the end of that show.

I know he will never really replace Freddie Mercury, but, when you guys see him in videos, look at all that crowd, look at them sing Freddie Mercury's song with him. He is not perfect but he is reuniting generations of fans and bringing along with him all the new generations of fans to like Queen's songs, discover and rediscover them again.

Plus you guys get a big bonus, the musicians are playing. Do you know how many musicians of their age are still playing like that ?

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEBhpiT-V4g

Liberty
Spread Your Wings

Postby AlexKx » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:01 am

Trans-Queen? Queen + Prince Adam?

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:01 pm

The only occasions I'll have an issue with it, are when it gets in the way of product.

All the time you have stuff like Earl's Court, Houston, Hammersmith '79, and Hyde Park in "the bank", I find it a bit hard to consider the possibility that QAL Live in Japan might well wind up leapfroging the release of those concerts.

People actually going to see live concerts is fine by me.

If they decide to release QAL product, then I hope it's a simultaneous parallel release with something by "Queen".
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:59 am

Kes wrote:The only occasions I'll have an issue with it, are when it gets in the way of product.

All the time you have stuff like Earl's Court, Houston, Hammersmith '79, and Hyde Park in "the bank", I find it a bit hard to consider the possibility that QAL Live in Japan might well wind up leapfroging the release of those concerts.

People actually going to see live concerts is fine by me.

If they decide to release QAL product, then I hope it's a simultaneous parallel release with something by "Queen".

As someone who I admire as a collector, would you buy anything by Queen + Adam Lambert?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby AlexKx » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Oh, snap! The original poster asked if it "really matters"! "Nothing really matters!", duh! :lol:

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby YAFF » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:18 am

AlexKx wrote:Oh, snap! The original poster asked if it "really matters"! "Nothing really matters!", duh! :lol:

:sleepy: Take your meds.

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:40 am

If this makes any sense.....the original lineup, well the classic lineup, meaning Freddie, Brian, John, and Roger....that's Queen. I distinctly remember, somewhere when Brian was talking about Greatest Hits III, and talking about how it was "Queen + Greatest Hits III"....he said something like "thats the name of the band now, it's Queen +"

Meaning it's Queen + whoever......

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby AlexKx » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:50 am

Oh, my god. Welcome to the twenty-first century! Congratulations! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! :?

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert