Who is going to see Q+AL at the IOW June 2016?

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Who is going to see Q+AL at the IOW June 2016?

Postby Faellie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:34 pm

OK, home now and here's a quick report -

There was a sound check about 10.30am - couldn't get in to see, but heard some drums, the synthesizer opening to Radio Gaga and a single recorded "Goodbye" from Freddie. The sound check was interesting in itself because the previous night Pete Townshend had trouble with the sound from his guitar on the opening 3 tracks of The Who's set (he swore very impressively at the side of stage guys about it) - the problem was resolved by his changing guitars but he later asked the crowd whether the sound was OK (it was) and said that because it was a festival they hadn't had a sound check. So score one for the professionalism of the Queen team in getting a sound check in on Sunday morning. They also built out the runway from the middle of the stage, which The Who did not have the previous night, and also added a lot of extra lights, the "Q" rig at the back of the stage and the two walkways to the sides, so they were busy in the 11 or so hours between The Who finishing and the start of Sunday's bill.

Set list is on the main Queen site. I know people (including me) have been suggesting different songs, but I thought the set as performed was beautifully judged, with great pacing - the band had the crowd with them from the start and kept them right through to the end. Roger's singing on A Kind of Magic was the best I've heard, and I loved he and Brian dancing alongside each other. Roger has a bandage on his left fourth finger but his drumming seemed unaffected by it. Adam was great, although I think a lot of the crowd, including me, hadn't heard about the Orlando shootings at the time so his tribute before WWTLF was both moving and worrying. Brian's guitar solo was great too and kept the crowd's interest all through. There was very obviously great affection from the crowd for Brian, Roger and Adam. There is obviously also great respect for Queen from other musicians: every band playing on the main stage on Sunday mentioned that Queen were playing later, and several of them mentioned it more than once.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Queen

Postby slightlymad1970 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Great review Faellie, can you remember which bands mentioned Queen and what they said? Looking forward to seeing the highlights on Sky TV next weekend, who knows this might get an official release!

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby AngelR » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:15 pm

:(

phpBB [video]

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby Faellie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:45 pm

It's all beginning to blur a bit and I wasn't taking notes, but certainly The Cribs and Ocean Colour Scene both mentioned Queen, and I think it was The Cribs that had a go at the first two calls from Freddie's call and response at Live Aid, which I thought was an interesting reference from a young band - the legend lives on. I'm sure there were other references too but not sure enough now to go on record as to which bands - I also heard some of The High Kings, some of Twin Atlantic and all of Half Moon Run and Mike and the Mechanics.

I also heard two different people in the crowd say that this was their first ever festival and they couldn't imagine how anything could ever be better than the Q+AL set.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:45 am

Simply beautiful and so bittersweet...

phpBB [video]
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby cmsdrums » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:27 am

Gary Kemp of Spandau Ballet tweeted yesterday after the IoW show:

"Queen put on one of the best shows I've ever seen, tune after tune. And Adam Lambert is a stunning sub for dear Freddie".

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Gripen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 am

Emotional tribute before playing Under Pressure...

Roger:
"There's a man my children love ... more than me
and we lost him in January.
And this one's for David!"

phpBB [video]

Gripen
Spread Your Wings

Postby Two sharp pencils » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:59 am

I have just seen my next door neighbour who went to the Isle of Wight festival & he said the high points for him were : Jess Glynne, Richard Ashcroft, The Who. He said Adam Lambert was a great frontman but in his opinion he needs to find a band of his own. Regarding the Q/AL show he said The Freddie Mercury bits on screen sent shivers down his spine but Roger & Brian's solos were a bore & he said looking around others seemed to feel the same, with the show dropping somewhat in excitement whilst the solos were being performed.

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby AngelR » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:26 am

Two sharp pencils wrote:I have just seen my next door neighbour who went to the Isle of Wight festival & he said the high points for him were : Jess Glynne, Richard Ashcroft, The Who. He said Adam Lambert was a great frontman but in his opinion he needs to find a band of his own. Regarding the Q/AL show he said The Freddie Mercury bits on screen sent shivers down his spine but Roger & Brian's solos were a bore & he said looking around others seemed to feel the same, with the show dropping somewhat in excitement whilst the solos were being performed.

Brian's solo (Roger's drum battle with Rufus not as much) has been a major complaint from many non-fans attending the Queen + AL shows since they started the USA tour. Many people don't like to get serious - they want tunes they know to sing along and dance.

I saw three Queen + AL shows. The last one, Wembley, lasted for about 2,5 hours - extended set! I loved all the solos, Neil Fairclough's solo was ingenuous.

B & R cut down the accoustic middle part (energy drop part) for the festivals a lot - people still complaining...
:)

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby Two sharp pencils » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:58 am

AngelR wrote:
Two sharp pencils wrote:I have just seen my next door neighbour who went to the Isle of Wight festival & he said the high points for him were : Jess Glynne, Richard Ashcroft, The Who. He said Adam Lambert was a great frontman but in his opinion he needs to find a band of his own. Regarding the Q/AL show he said The Freddie Mercury bits on screen sent shivers down his spine but Roger & Brian's solos were a bore & he said looking around others seemed to feel the same, with the show dropping somewhat in excitement whilst the solos were being performed.

Brian's solo (Roger's drum battle with Rufus not as much) has been a major complaint from many non-fans attending the Queen + AL shows since they started the USA tour. Many people don't like to get serious - they want tunes they know to sing along and dance.

I saw three Queen + AL shows. The last one, Wembley, lasted for about 2,5 hours - extended set! I loved all the solos, Neil Fairclough's solo was ingenuous.

B & R cut down the accoustic middle part (energy drop part) for the festivals a lot - people still complaining...
:)

I remember seeing Queen for the first time in 1978 & I thought Brian's solo was amazing by the time I got to Knebworth I was really bored with the solo, it had hardly changed in all those years. I loved Roger's comment about hating to be doing a solo & watch people leave to go to the toilet or get drinks but it didn't seem to bother Brian & now Roger does a solo !!!!

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:42 am

Highlights on Sky Arts on Saturday and Sunday evening.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:55 am

I love Brian's solos and I always will. Last Horizon is so fantastic, it gives me chills and sometimes tears because it's so beautiful.
Cause you are beautiful
Your scars are beautiful, like the Jade
You'll still shine when you sink into the sea
Where the bleeding scarlet jealousy
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Zak Royen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Innuendoes wrote:I love Brian's solos and I always will. Last Horizon is so fantastic, it gives me chills and sometimes tears because it's so beautiful.

Last Horizon is beautiful indeed.

Last night in Brussels, the Brighton Rock solo was the shortest I'd ever heard...

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby AngelR » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Here is the official version of WWTLF, can't wait till Sat/Sun broadcast!

phpBB [video]

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby CNB » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Please tell your neighbor that Adam does have an excellent band of his own and finished an extensive (60 city) solo tour in Asia, the U.S. and Europe a couple of weeks before joining up again with Brian and Roger. He loves doing both -- his own music and the fabulous, iconic music of Queen!

Maybe you could e-mail this link to him which is a highlight video of Adam's solo show in Adelaide, Australia back in January of this year ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAj860D62rk
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert