Queen + Adam Lambert, Palais 12, Brussells, June 15, 2016

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Queen + Adam Lambert, Palais 12, Brussells, June 15, 201

Postby Lemmy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:40 am

Shall we sing this tonight - while we wait for the band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lo1pHej3gg
(Arno - very good Belgian singer)

Lemmy
Spread Your Wings

Postby AngelR » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Zak Royen wrote:
CNB wrote:
Zak Royen wrote:But just to let you know : I have no smartphone, so I won't be tweeting/reporting/posting photos during the gig !

That's okay! Have a great time and come back and tell us about it!

I will ! thank you :)``

On a personal note... My first ever concert was The Brian May Band in Brussels. That was 18 years ago. I was 13 years old -- I think I was probably the youngest person in the audience. It's kind of funny to think today may be the last time I see Brian performing live, and it's happening in the same city.

Awww...I hope it's not the last time for you...

I took my 13 year old daughter to see Queen + AL at Wembley. She reckons Brian made an eye contact with her and she was very impressed with the way he plays guitar - her words were "like violin". 'Big' praise from her :) considering she plays violin herself!

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby Zak Royen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:17 pm

AngelR wrote:
Zak Royen wrote:
I will ! thank you :)``

On a personal note... My first ever concert was The Brian May Band in Brussels. That was 18 years ago. I was 13 years old -- I think I was probably the youngest person in the audience. It's kind of funny to think today may be the last time I see Brian performing live, and it's happening in the same city.

Awww...I hope it's not the last time for you...

I took my 13 year old daughter to see Queen + AL at Wembley. She reckons Brian made an eye contact with her and she was very impressed with the way he plays guitar - her words were "like violin". 'Big' praise from her :) considering she plays violin herself!

I'm saying this may be the last time because this may well be their last tour... nothing to worry about as far as my health is concerned !

I guess your daughter will remember that eye contact moment for a long, long time !

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby Zak Royen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Lemmy wrote:
Zak Royen wrote:Lemmy, do you know if we'll have to wait outside ?

I suppose it depends at what time you arrive at the venue.
If you're there right now... good luck... it's raining cats and dogs (and big ones too) ;)

This is the programme - as listed on the Palais 12 website:

16h30: Parkings C & E accessibles
17h30: Ouverture du site via HALL ASTRID et AVENUE MIRAMAR
18h30: Ouverture de la salle – ENTREE NORD UNIQUEMENT
20h00 : Queen
22h30 : FIN

Thanks Lemmy. No I think I'll get there around 4:30-5:00. Hope that's early enough to guarantee a first row placement.

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby AngelR » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:28 pm

Zak Royen wrote:
I'm saying this may be the last time because this may well be their last tour...

That's what I meant as well :) Enjoy yourself today! This is going to be a very special show because of the last year's cancellation.

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby Lemmy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Zak Royen wrote:Thanks Lemmy. No I think I'll get there around 4:30-5:00. Hope that's early enough to guarantee a first row placement.

I think you'll certainly be up front if you're there that early.
If not, and judging by the youtube footage, a little distance can also be nice to enjoy the full lighting and sound.
(at worst, there is also the bar) :D

Might see you there

Lemmy
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Regarding security, I'm glad to see it is being handled so well in Brussels. I went to an NFL football game a couple of years ago and I didn't know beforehand that women could not bring their handbags into the stadium unless they were the see-thru plastic type. They took mine and put it in a special tent set up outside the stadium and I had to pay $10.00 to get it back. Besides mine, there were hundreds of other handbags there. It was early on and we didn't know they had put that policy into place. Since that time I have had to put my belongings into a see-thru plastic bag that they check at the entrance. It's a sad world we are living in right now with all of the terrorist threats!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Zak Royen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:34 pm

Just back from the show. Just a few thoughts.

It was the eighth time I saw "Queen+" live -- six times with Paul, and now second time with Adam.

It's always nice to see Brian and Roger. And "Track13" always gets me emotional and excited.

However... if I am totally honest with myself (which is difficult for any fan, I guess), I didn't enjoy the show that much.

The main reason being Adam. He seems to be a very nice guy, the fact that he gets along so well with Brian and Roger is cool, and his voice is extraordinary but.... I just don't like it at all. There's a few exceptions. Namely "Stone Cold Crazy", AOBTD and, in a different genre, WWTLF. Other than that, I have to face the fact that I don't enjoy hearing Queen songs sung by this guy.

Brian doesn't seem to be that much into it. His playing is fine but obviously not quite as inspired as it used to be. He is clearly trying to display gratitude to the fans, which is very nice of him (though it doesn't always feel very authentic) but is he having a lot of fun ? I'm not sure. I wonder if he's not actually feeling slightly bored with it all.

Aside from Adam's singing, the main problem is that they seem to be going through the motions. They've put on a very professional show, which DOES manage to bring a lot of excitement in the room, but it feels like routine. Which is no surprise : how can you be excited when night after night, year after year you keep performing the same (very) old songs in the exact same way, and use the exact same speech to introduce them ?

The best moment in my opinion was AKOM.
CLTCL acoustic was also nice... because it was different. And there's no extra drummer on that one ;)

How I would love to see a Brian+Roger concert, with shared vocal duties, no big production, lesser know songs, and plenty of not-so-perfect moments that would make you feel you're seeing an actual concert and not a Broadway show...

I may sound harsh but I am still a Queen fan and... God save the Queen ;)

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:46 pm

You obviously were not standing near the audio streamer I was listening to who was screaming her lungs out during the whole two hours of the show! :lol:
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Zak Royen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:54 pm

CNB wrote:You obviously were not standing near the audio streamer I was listening to who was screaming her lungs out during the whole two hours of the show! :lol:

Well I did do a lot of screaming myself !

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:05 pm

There's a few exceptions. Namely "Stone Cold Crazy", AOBTD and, in a different genre, WWTLF.

Zak, here are the three songs you said you liked ..... two of those (SSC and WWTLF) are my favorites, along with Killer Queen ......

Stone Cold Crazy

Another One Bites the Dust

WWTLF
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby CNB » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:05 am

Killer Queen and Don't Stop Me Now .....

Somebody To Love .....
Last edited by CNB on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Jimi » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:11 am

Zak Royen wrote:Just back from the show. Just a few thoughts.

It was the eighth time I saw "Queen+" live -- six times with Paul, and now second time with Adam.

It's always nice to see Brian and Roger. And "Track13" always gets me emotional and excited.

However... if I am totally honest with myself (which is difficult for any fan, I guess), I didn't enjoy the show that much.

The main reason being Adam. He seems to be a very nice guy, the fact that he gets along so well with Brian and Roger is cool, and his voice is extraordinary but.... I just don't like it at all. There's a few exceptions. Namely "Stone Cold Crazy", AOBTD and, in a different genre, WWTLF. Other than that, I have to face the fact that I don't enjoy hearing Queen songs sung by this guy.

Brian doesn't seem to be that much into it. His playing is fine but obviously not quite as inspired as it used to be. He is clearly trying to display gratitude to the fans, which is very nice of him (though it doesn't always feel very authentic) but is he having a lot of fun ? I'm not sure. I wonder if he's not actually feeling slightly bored with it all.

Aside from Adam's singing, the main problem is that they seem to be going through the motions. They've put on a very professional show, which DOES manage to bring a lot of excitement in the room, but it feels like routine. Which is no surprise : how can you be excited when night after night, year after year you keep performing the same (very) old songs in the exact same way, and use the exact same speech to introduce them ?

The best moment in my opinion was AKOM.
CLTCL acoustic was also nice... because it was different. And there's no extra drummer on that one ;)

How I would love to see a Brian+Roger concert, with shared vocal duties, no big production, lesser know songs, and plenty of not-so-perfect moments that would make you feel you're seeing an actual concert and not a Broadway show...

I may sound harsh but I am still a Queen fan and... God save the Queen ;)

Great review. Probably because I would write almost exactly the same! I just don't get it. I saw them in Leeds and have listened / watched various streams and I just hear a disconnect between the band and AL. its nothing anyone is doing wrong but my ears just don't go there. Its strange I never had that problem with PR. I guess its each to their own but AL is just not my type of singer i'm afraid. Maybe I'm too old as well now which is very possible!

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Zak Royen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:59 am

Yeah. The QPR shows seemed so much fresher, especially in 2006 when it felt like it was truly turning into a new band.

Remember that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wth7ig9POP4

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:42 am

I do
very well.
I saw them 3 times on that first tour culminating at Hyde Park.
I remember they started playing Cream - Sunshine of your Love at Newcastle too. God that's 11 years ago...
I don't get the same level of excitement about this tour. I think it was probably much more my era and I was a fan of Free and Bad Co so that helped. It gave the band more kudos as well. I think the AL thing is too 'wwry the musical' sounding and I hated that as well

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert