Queen + Adam Lambert, Palais 12, Brussells, June 15, 2016

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Queen + Adam Lambert, Palais 12, Brussells, June 15, 201

Postby Lemmy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:52 am

Because opinions are like a**holes (everybody has one), I will agree with Zak on some of the comments (mainly the "going through the motions" impression and "Brian's interaction with the audience"), however, being right in front of the mixing desk, I was able to enjoy the full show as well as a good sound.

So, I will promote the fun-spirit and outrageousness of the show, which I think was as Queen was during the early 70's: A Carnival atmosphere - hence, what the band might have been today, had they been starting off.

In my memory do stick out the following:

Killer Queen (Adam's theatrics were fantastic and suited the song's lyrics) laughed to death
Somebody to Love (Adam's voice may not suit (IMO) some of the rockier songs, but he nails this one)
Editing Hammer to Fall - why?
The long endings of songs - maybe too many?

Anyhow, as I stated, we all have our opinions on the matter - and who cares of anybody else's.
It's your money, your time and nobody forced you to come.
Enjoy it or not, it's great to experience the "sound" and the presence of these guys - no matter what.
Enjoy it, because once they go, that's it - it's a void never filled. Tribute bands may be a nice nostalgia trip (and some are great !!!), but it will always be a pale copy to the original four.

And don't forget - if you compare their playing today with 'Wembley '86'... well, that was 30 years ago...
and you're wasting your time in doing so
;)

Lemmy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Zak Royen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:09 pm

It's because I do care about other people's opinions, Lemmy, that I visit this forum....

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby Zak Royen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Regarding song endings...
I think they were much shorter on this tour than on previous ones. As other people have mentionned, they've basically removed all the instrumental jams. I guess they've made a conscious decision to make the show shorter while keeping the same (number of) songs.
Also, what I've always wondered about is : why do they stick to the exact same endings they did 30 years ago during the Magic tour ? I'm thinking of Ga Ga and AKOM in particular, but I think there are other examples. It's just as if the 1986 live version had become the only way to perform the song !
Bring back "Hammer To Fall" slow version ! Try something different ! ;)

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:56 pm

I'm so glad I didn't have the Freddie or Paul Rodgers live versions to compare with Queen + Adam because I thought the two live shows I saw in 2014 were absolute PERFECTION! :biggrin: 8) :rockon:
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby CNB » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:19 pm

I Want It All .....

Radio GaGa .....
Last edited by CNB on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Lemmy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Zak Royen wrote:It's because I do care about other people's opinions, Lemmy, that I visit this forum....

Quite. However it was not meant in a derogatory sense, but in a "thriving for independent thought when it comes to "easy-bashing"".
Anyhow... fancy a beer?

Lemmy
Spread Your Wings

Postby freda_bloogs » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:42 pm

I nipped up there at the last minute from Paris last night.

I think it was the least inspired that I've seen Brian and Roger. Last year I went to 1st night at the O2, Paris and Wembley. This was nothing on any of those three.

I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I agree with those who believe that Brian's mind is elsewhere these days. I didn't get a shiver or a tingle at any lick. And that was the first time that's happened. :(

freda_bloogs
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Zak Royen wrote:Just back from the show. Just a few thoughts.

It was the eighth time I saw "Queen+" live -- six times with Paul, and now second time with Adam.

It's always nice to see Brian and Roger. And "Track13" always gets me emotional and excited.

However... if I am totally honest with myself (which is difficult for any fan, I guess), I didn't enjoy the show that much.

The main reason being Adam. He seems to be a very nice guy, the fact that he gets along so well with Brian and Roger is cool, and his voice is extraordinary but.... I just don't like it at all. There's a few exceptions. Namely "Stone Cold Crazy", AOBTD and, in a different genre, WWTLF. Other than that, I have to face the fact that I don't enjoy hearing Queen songs sung by this guy.

Brian doesn't seem to be that much into it. His playing is fine but obviously not quite as inspired as it used to be. He is clearly trying to display gratitude to the fans, which is very nice of him (though it doesn't always feel very authentic) but is he having a lot of fun ? I'm not sure. I wonder if he's not actually feeling slightly bored with it all.

Aside from Adam's singing, the main problem is that they seem to be going through the motions. They've put on a very professional show, which DOES manage to bring a lot of excitement in the room, but it feels like routine. Which is no surprise : how can you be excited when night after night, year after year you keep performing the same (very) old songs in the exact same way, and use the exact same speech to introduce them ?

The best moment in my opinion was AKOM.
CLTCL acoustic was also nice... because it was different. And there's no extra drummer on that one ;)

How I would love to see a Brian+Roger concert, with shared vocal duties, no big production, lesser know songs, and plenty of not-so-perfect moments that would make you feel you're seeing an actual concert and not a Broadway show...

I may sound harsh but I am still a Queen fan and... God save the Queen ;)

Nice to see a perfectly fair and honest review from a Queen fan on here. There have been a few Adam haters on this site that have slated him and QAL simply because those fans are small-minded and bitter; but you have clearly given a true and honest account of things as you see them. Respect to you.

I have to agree with you, although I can only go by what I have seen online and on TV. I like Adam: I think he is genuine, sweet, respectful, considerate and ballsy; but I just don't 'get' him vocally with Queen. I have always said the man has a wonderful set of pipes on him and can sing technically perfect, but there is something missing for me - something raw, magical, real.

I am pleased for those that are enjoying this last incarnation of Queen - I genuinely am. And Brian and Roger seem truly happy alongside Mr Lambert, which is lovely to see. I will continue to wish them every success, but have to accept that there is something missing for me here.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby CNB » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:56 pm

I am pleased for those that are enjoying this last incarnation of Queen - I genuinely am. And Brian and Roger seem truly happy alongside Mr Lambert, which is lovely to see. I will continue to wish them every success, but have to accept that there is something missing for me here.

Of course! You are no doubt missing Freddie and that cute little dance step he did across the stage! :)
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Zak Royen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:06 pm

Lemmy wrote:
Zak Royen wrote:It's because I do care about other people's opinions, Lemmy, that I visit this forum....

Quite. However it was not meant in a derogatory sense, but in a "thriving for independent thought when it comes to "easy-bashing"".
Anyhow... fancy a beer?

Yes I would ;) Are you from Belgium or from France ?

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby Zak Royen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:07 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Nice to see a perfectly fair and honest review from a Queen fan on here. There have been a few Adam haters on this site that have slated him and QAL simply because those fans are small-minded and bitter; but you have clearly given a true and honest account of things as you see them. Respect to you.

thank you ;)

Zak Royen
Spread Your Wings

Postby solemndrummer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:22 pm

I went to Palais 12 and I must say, it wasn't as good as it should have been. (+ given the fact it was expensive!)
To me there're few reasons :
1/ On stage, it just doesn't feel like a real connected band. It's really Brian and Roger + Adam + a bunch of guys. And it's really quiet, there's no more rough energy, I suppose because they're old, the worse being
2/ Roger Taylor. He's really to old for this shit. And I really tend to think his hearing loss is an explanation. Of course, he's got hearing aid but if you know someone that have it, you also know that it's not really the same anymore and for a musician I think it's crucial. Anyway, he really messed up a lot, starting with the intro ! When your rhythm section is shaky, everything is.
Brian does still play very fine even if I totally agree with what Zak says about. + some solo's were meh and his guitar solo was really dull.. (as was the drum solo)

If it was a real Queen gig with this setlist it would have been great but unfortunately it was far from it and I got bored several times. It was good to see them one last time but after the gig I told myself that if I had to redo it, I wouldn't :-(

solemndrummer
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Oh my! Quiet? These songs are anything BUT quiet! :?
Last edited by CNB on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Lemmy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Zak Royen wrote:
Lemmy wrote:

Anyhow... fancy a beer?

Yes I would ;) Are you from Belgium or from France ?

I live in Brussels.
pm me if you want to hook up.

Lemmy
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:43 pm

"Killer Queen" closeup .....

Apology .....

IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB