Queen + Adam Lambert, Tel Aviv, September 12, 2016

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Queen + Adam Lambert, Tel Aviv, September 12, 2016

Postby brianoflondon » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:17 am

I certainly don’t do this with most of my blog posts, but the concert in Tel Aviv was so good I felt moved to open an account here and post something.

I wrote a long (too long for general consumption probably) write up of the actual mechanics of going to see Queen in Park HaYarkon. You can find that below and I’ll quote a bit of it. We also gathered together a bunch of videos in one place which we tend to do for any major bands that play Israel.

Queen music has been a constant in my life for years. I grew up in Ealing, funnily enough, so I was always aware that Freddie had gone to college just near my home. I’ve never forgiven myself for missing that Wembley concert in 1986 so I bought tickets within 1 hour of them being on sale. If I’d gone alone I’d have been upfront under the stage but I went with my parents so we took the (expensive £180 per ticket ouch) option of seats in the one and only grandstand.

I touched on it in my post, but didn’t go into detail. We get royally screwed on ticket prices, and trust me, average wages don’t make up for it. To sell so many tickets is testament to the giant appeal of Queen. Security is a huge factor coupled with the fact that there just isn’t the population here to make two nights possible for even mega rock bands. The security necessary to have 55,000+ in one place here is off the charts: unless you’ve seen it you can’t imagine it. Thankfully nobody has ever tried to attack an event like this which is the point. I know, for example, that our missile defence system Iron Dome is specifically in place and covering that spot with more batteries than strictly necessary for such an event.

I don’t doubt that anyone here is on the fence about seeing this tour, but based on that show you’re all in for a treat when it rolls into your town.

Long write up and a couple of videos of the support act, Lina Makul, a past winner of the Israeli version of The Voice who sang “Too Much Love Will Kill You”. Pretty bold move to sing that in warm up for Queen!:

http://www.israellycool.com/2016/09/13/what-is-it-like-to-see-queen-in-park-hayarkon-in-tel-aviv/

Collection of videos:

http://www.israellycool.com/2016/09/13/queen-rocks-israel/

The long post starts:

Upfront: Queen was a concert I’ve been waiting for since July 1986 when I STUPIDLY and for reasons I can’t even remember, passed up the opportunity to see Queen with Freddie Mercury at Wembley Stadium which turned out to be one of the last big performances Freddie gave in the UK. The combination of Freddie Mercury on big screens at key moments, and Adam Lambert performing brilliantly, gave me two hours of goose bumps. Those songs are just so deeply embedded in my life, hearing them live in that setting was spine tingling.

I’ve read most of the English press reviews of last night’s Queen concert with Adam Lambert in Park HaYarkon, Tel Aviv, Israel. More than anything else I learned how many ways you can build a famous killer Queen song title into an innocuous we will rock you sentence without it being another one bites the dust obvious.

None of them give you a special flavour: what is it really like to go to Park HaYarkon to see a major rock band. I’ve been going to big concerts since the mid 80’s. I’ve been to dozens of venues: Hammersmith Odeon – too many to name (now renamed but I’ll never accept that), Wembley Arena (never the stadium to my great regret), Hyde Park (Roger Waters the shame!), The Albert Hall (classical and rock – Jewell), Milton Keynes Bowl – Robbie Williams, O2 Arena (the Millennium Dome) – Take That and in other cities in the UK like Judas Priest and Robert Plant (not together) in Sheffield’s very small City Hall.

[Read the rest on my site if you’re interested. Don’t judge me for seeing Take That, my sister was the support act :shock: ] http://www.israellycool.com/2016/09/13/what-is-it-like-to-see-queen-in-park-hayarkon-in-tel-aviv/

This is Lina singing a bit of Too Much Love Will Kill You:
phpBB [video]

brianoflondon
Spread Your Wings

Tel Aviv show

Postby Nadia » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:31 am

Monday, it was an extraordinary show in Tel Aviv. Brian and Roger so wonderful, thank you for the great feeling. Adam I have no word. You're an amazing performer. Freddie is Freddie and no one can replace him but you're so similar to him in your way. He could not dream better than you to make the show go on...
I'm sure that He's proud of you from heaven…
Love you so much and come back soon to Tel Aviv. :D :cool:

Nadia
Spread Your Wings

Re: Tel Aviv show

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 am

Hi Nadia,

You might want to check out this thread. We have a different section for the QAL shows, too. :)

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7795&p=388710#p388710
Cause you are beautiful
Your scars are beautiful, like the Jade
You'll still shine when you sink into the sea
Where the bleeding scarlet jealousy
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby WeeMann » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 am

Topics merged.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:10 am

WeeMann wrote:Topics merged.

Thank you!
Cause you are beautiful
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

Postby slightlymad1970 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:46 am

It seems the show was a huge success in Israel with it being the 2nd biggest crowd ever for a concert there :-D

1993 Michael Jackson 70,000
2016 Queen + AL 57,500
2013 Red Hot Chilli Peppers 56,000
2013 Rihanna 55,000
2009 Madonna 50,000
1993 Guns N Roses 45,000

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby brianoflondon » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:35 am

I’d like to know where this list comes from. We’ve had The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and Elton John all in the last year and they all appear somewhere between 40,000 to 50,000.

Having said that Queen definitely topped Bon Jovi and Elton in crowd size as I walked back to my car for all three and the Queen crowd really was bigger. That MJ concert from 93 must have been insane though.

slightlymad1970 wrote:It seems the show was a huge success in Israel with it being the 2nd biggest crowd ever for a concert there :-D

2016 Queen + AL 57,500
2013 Rihanna 55,000
2009 Madonna 50,000
1993 Guns N Roses 45,000

brianoflondon
Spread Your Wings

Postby slightlymad1970 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:49 am

brianoflondon wrote:I’d like to know where this list comes from. We’ve had The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and Elton John all in the last year and they all appear somewhere between 40,000 to 50,000.

Having said that Queen definitely topped Bon Jovi and Elton in crowd size as I walked back to my car for all three and the Queen crowd really was bigger. That MJ concert from 93 must have been insane though.

slightlymad1970 wrote:It seems the show was a huge success in Israel with it being the 2nd biggest crowd ever for a concert there :-D

2016 Queen + AL 57,500
2013 Rihanna 55,000
2009 Madonna 50,000
1993 Guns N Roses 45,000

The list is from an Israeli newspaper review of the concert, it's for sale on eBay, look at the right hand side of the article which lists the attendances, the lister of the article kindly translated a couple of things for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322260879441?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby brianoflondon » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks! Yehidiot is the name of the paper. Online it’s YNet. That list looks like something the art department threw up based on whichever logos they could find in google :-) Just what I’ve come to expect from main stream media! LOL!

I can assure you, however, Queen was very very big and if that Michael Jackson number from ’93 is accurate then second biggest seems likely.

Here are the links in Hebrew and English in case you’re interested. I suspect it’s pretty much what’s written there in Hebrew.

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4853749,00.html
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 54,00.html

brianoflondon
Spread Your Wings

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:27 pm

Reposting this from another section...

Looks good to me! :-D

After Four Decades, Queen Rock Israel with Help From Adam Lambert

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... am-lambert
Cause you are beautiful
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

Postby Montavilla » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Innuendoes wrote:The problem with me posting most of these photos is that they are too large for this website. I have to download them to my computer, upload them to my image host, manipulate or resize them, then post the resized pic and that cuts off the right side for some strange reason. It's a lot more time consuming than it used to be when we could just grab them off twitter and post. But I will keep trying as long as I am able. :)

I appreciate your hard work. :)
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby Montavilla » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:11 pm

brianoflondon wrote:I certainly don’t do this with most of my blog posts, but the concert in Tel Aviv was so good I felt moved to open an account here and post something.

Thank you for posting the links. I went and read your blog, and it's very interesting to learn about the difficulties of putting on this type of event in Israel. We have security checks at large venues, but we don't have to worry about incoming missiles!
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:17 am

Montavilla wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:The problem with me posting most of these photos is that they are too large for this website. I have to download them to my computer, upload them to my image host, manipulate or resize them, then post the resized pic and that cuts off the right side for some strange reason. It's a lot more time consuming than it used to be when we could just grab them off twitter and post. But I will keep trying as long as I am able. :)

I appreciate your hard work. :)

Thanks, Monta. It does take some time for sure. When we first started posting the concert pix, twitter images were mostly smaller, even if good quality, and no alterations were required. Due to board size restrictions and newer phones that apparently take much larger photos, that's not the case anymore. In fact, it's becoming quite rare to find pix that will fit on here without being altered, at least size-wise. So, I did what I could after trying countless times of trying to post pix straight from twitter or Instagram, only to be stopped by size restrictions. Some pix were just too good not to post, so I did. :)
Cause you are beautiful
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:21 am

Hi brianoflondon,

Thanks for your blog and all the links to the Israeli publications. I looked for a few minutes and found I didn't have time to read it all, yet, but it does look like Queen was very well received there in Tel Aviv.
Cause you are beautiful
Carves away your belief

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

Postby AngelR » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Brian and his selfie stick :D

phpBB [video]