Summer Sonic 2014 getting an official release in Japan

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Summer Sonic 2014 getting an official release in Japan

Postby Michael Allred » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:24 pm

agkelly wrote:I have now received an e-mail stating that mine's been dispatched. It also has a note on there asking I not put online where I got it from as technically it's not supposed to be sold outside of Japan ... so WHOOPS, I think I / we may have already blown that one!

Yeah I was asked the same thing but not sure why it's such a big deal. This release is not competing with any other country's release (or company. ) In fact foreign customers will only benefit Ward Records by increasing its customer base.
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
We Will Rock You

Postby Michael Allred » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Btw the video and audio quality of the Blu-ray is fantastic.
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
We Will Rock You

Postby QueenVault » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:01 am

Any additional footage outside the concert on the bluray?
http://www.QueenVault.com
Updated February 16, 2017

QueenVault
Spread Your Wings

Postby agkelly » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:14 am

Michael Allred wrote:
agkelly wrote:I have now received an e-mail stating that mine's been dispatched. It also has a note on there asking I not put online where I got it from as technically it's not supposed to be sold outside of Japan ... so WHOOPS, I think I / we may have already blown that one!

Yeah I was asked the same thing but not sure why it's such a big deal. This release is not competing with any other country's release (or company. ) In fact foreign customers will only benefit Ward Records by increasing its customer base.

Yeah, I don't get it either. They say it's contractual issues, but like you say, the more people that are buying it from them, the more their name is out there. I certainly hadn't ever heard of them prior to this release!

Regardless, from this point on, I've 'managed to purchase this release from an unknown source online'..! :P

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby Michael Allred » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:16 am

QueenVault wrote:Any additional footage outside the concert on the bluray?

There is no bonus material what so ever. It's not the whole show either, as has been stated previously. Why? I have no idea, blu-ray discs offer plenty of room. The bonus CD was nice but it is replicating the content of the blu-ray so again, not the whole show on that either.

Michael Allred
We Will Rock You

Postby sbrown » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:22 am

just got it, and had a very brief look - damn that sounds good. Brilliantly mixed. Brian is awesome, and Adam is just amazing. If you've only see the audience videos on YouTube they do him a disservice.
This sounds far more like I remember it on the night. I do remember thinking he has far more resonance in person, and this captures it well.
Looking forward to a proper listen.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby agkelly » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:49 pm

Michael Allred wrote:There is no bonus material what so ever. It's not the whole show either, as has been stated previously. Why? I have no idea, blu-ray discs offer plenty of room. The bonus CD was nice but it is replicating the content of the blu-ray so again, not the whole show on that either.

I think you'll find it is indeed the entire show (albeit minus a few seconds here are there between songs, and there was seemingly no break before the encore, just a few seconds of darkness after Bohemian Rhapsody and before We Will Rock You).

I received mine yesterday and watched it last night. I did indeed notice the omissions of Somebody To Love, the drum battle, bass / Roger solo, guitar solo, Tie Your Mother Down, vocal solo / crowd call-and-response, A Kind Of Magic / The Show Must Go On, '39, I Want To Break Free, Who Wants To Live Forever, Dragon Attack, as well as the inclusions of I Was Born To Love You, and Teo Torriate ... however I checked the setlist online and the tracklisting on the BluRay and cd matches the setlist from that night. Of course, the songs mentioned above weren't all included in every concert, with some often being interchanged with another (A Kind Of Magic and The Show Must Go On often interchanged with the other ... they were not (as far as I can remember) played in the same concert). They certainly weren't in the 6 Australian gigs I went to just days after this Tokyo one was performed.

Presumably, given it was part of a festival, they had time restrictions so trimmed the show down a little bit. They seemingly also had physical restrictions too, as the big Q never lowered down during In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited or during We Will Rock You, nor was there a proper stage B and catwalk setup. I noticed, also, that the curtain was dropped at the start and not shot upwards, so that would be a venue issue.

As for the release: I got the complete boxset and love it! I enjoyed the show (even without the songs mentioned above), and will listen to the cd probably after work this evening to start my weekend off on a good note!
I enjoyed the fact that they didn't seem to retouch the audio (as is fairly commonly-known is what Queen -and particularly Brian- is known to do). There were one or two times where a bum-note was struck and quickly recovered from ... and they're here, just as they would be if we had've been there on the night. I like that they left in where Brian busts a string right at the end of Fat Bottomed Girls. Of course, I don't wish these things would happen ... especially on a night that was being properly recorded with a potential release in mind, however the fact that they did and they still made it to the release I do like. It's real. I like real..!

I haven't researched so don't know what the crowd was like in terms of numbers, but when they sang, they sang loud and it sounded great. No wonder Brian was visibly disappointed at the Aussie gigs a few days later! It was frustrating for me to be there during, say, Love Of My Life, and only maybe a few hundred or perhaps a thousand people singing along with Brian. And of course, those people got self-conscious when no-one else around them was singing, so Brian ended up singing the entire song without much crowd backing vocals. In fact, just before the 2nd verse in all 6 gigs, he said light-heartedly "Now, don't be shy!" I guessed at the time that although the 2nd Sydney gig was properly recorded (the night where Lady Gaga joined them on-stage for Another One Bites The Dust), the underwhelming audience sing-alongs would ensure the gig was never released. Not without audio tricks or overdubbing to cover it up.
So bringing this back on topic, hearing the audience -traditionally a non-English-speaking audience at that- singing so loudly was wonderful to hear on this Tokyo concert. They really got into it. No wonder Queen love playing there.

Having said all this, I would be disappointed if this is the only Q+AL live release from their now 5yrs together. I would be surprised too, as seemingly at least one concert per continent was properly recorded. Surely there is at least ONE of them that would be worthy of a more wide-spread release (ie: not localised in just one country!)?

Fingers crossed!
In the meantime, I have this now, plus the various fan-recorded videos / audios of the concerts I've been to in recent years, so these will do me..!

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby Cliff » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:35 am

agkelly wrote:
Michael Allred wrote:There is no bonus material what so ever. It's not the whole show either, as has been stated previously. Why? I have no idea, blu-ray discs offer plenty of room. The bonus CD was nice but it is replicating the content of the blu-ray so again, not the whole show on that either.

I think you'll find it is indeed the entire show (albeit minus a few seconds here are there between songs, and there was seemingly no break before the encore, just a few seconds of darkness after Bohemian Rhapsody and before We Will Rock You).

I received mine yesterday and watched it last night. I did indeed notice the omissions of Somebody To Love, the drum battle, bass / Roger solo, guitar solo, Tie Your Mother Down, vocal solo / crowd call-and-response, A Kind Of Magic / The Show Must Go On, '39, I Want To Break Free, Who Wants To Live Forever, Dragon Attack, as well as the inclusions of I Was Born To Love You, and Teo Torriate ... however I checked the setlist online and the tracklisting on the BluRay and cd matches the setlist from that night. Of course, the songs mentioned above weren't all included in every concert, with some often being interchanged with another (A Kind Of Magic and The Show Must Go On often interchanged with the other ... they were not (as far as I can remember) played in the same concert). They certainly weren't in the 6 Australian gigs I went to just days after this Tokyo one was performed.

Presumably, given it was part of a festival, they had time restrictions so trimmed the show down a little bit. They seemingly also had physical restrictions too, as the big Q never lowered down during In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited or during We Will Rock You, nor was there a proper stage B and catwalk setup. I noticed, also, that the curtain was dropped at the start and not shot upwards, so that would be a venue issue.

As for the release: I got the complete boxset and love it! I enjoyed the show (even without the songs mentioned above), and will listen to the cd probably after work this evening to start my weekend off on a good note!
I enjoyed the fact that they didn't seem to retouch the audio (as is fairly commonly-known is what Queen -and particularly Brian- is known to do). There were one or two times where a bum-note was struck and quickly recovered from ... and they're here, just as they would be if we had've been there on the night. I like that they left in where Brian busts a string right at the end of Fat Bottomed Girls. Of course, I don't wish these things would happen ... especially on a night that was being properly recorded with a potential release in mind, however the fact that they did and they still made it to the release I do like. It's real. I like real..!

I haven't researched so don't know what the crowd was like in terms of numbers, but when they sang, they sang loud and it sounded great. No wonder Brian was visibly disappointed at the Aussie gigs a few days later! It was frustrating for me to be there during, say, Love Of My Life, and only maybe a few hundred or perhaps a thousand people singing along with Brian. And of course, those people got self-conscious when no-one else around them was singing, so Brian ended up singing the entire song without much crowd backing vocals. In fact, just before the 2nd verse in all 6 gigs, he said light-heartedly "Now, don't be shy!" I guessed at the time that although the 2nd Sydney gig was properly recorded (the night where Lady Gaga joined them on-stage for Another One Bites The Dust), the underwhelming audience sing-alongs would ensure the gig was never released. Not without audio tricks or overdubbing to cover it up.
So bringing this back on topic, hearing the audience -traditionally a non-English-speaking audience at that- singing so loudly was wonderful to hear on this Tokyo concert. They really got into it. No wonder Queen love playing there.

Having said all this, I would be disappointed if this is the only Q+AL live release from their now 5yrs together. I would be surprised too, as seemingly at least one concert per continent was properly recorded. Surely there is at least ONE of them that would be worthy of a more wide-spread release (ie: not localised in just one country!)?

Fingers crossed!
In the meantime, I have this now, plus the various fan-recorded videos / audios of the concerts I've been to in recent years, so these will do me..!

Did your country charge you import tax on this disc?

I've not got mine as yet as its stuck in customs as I have a £29 (£16 import VAT and £13 handling fee) bill to pay before it can get delivered.

This is now officially the most I have paid for a disc (apart from the large boxsets of course):

Bluray / CD - £62
Delivery charge - £18
Non sterling transaction fee on credit card - £2
UK import VAT - £16
Parcelforce fee - £13
Total - £111

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cliff
Spread Your Wings

Postby nickguy1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Just bought on eBay

even with a special $20 off, it cost me $122.31 (99 pounds)

nickguy1
Spread Your Wings

Disappointed

Postby agkelly » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:22 am

Cliff wrote:Did your country charge you import tax on this disc?

I've not got mine as yet as its stuck in customs as I have a £29 (£16 import VAT and £13 handling fee) bill to pay before it can get delivered.

This is now officially the most I have paid for a disc (apart from the large boxsets of course):

Bluray / CD - £62
Delivery charge - £18
Non sterling transaction fee on credit card - £2
UK import VAT - £16
Parcelforce fee - £13
Total - £111

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't believe I was charged an import tax. Maybe we don't have that in Australia? I have no idea..!
I just came home one day to a note in my letterbox saying 'Sorry we missed you. We have a package for you, which you can collect from '_____________' (place stated ... the local Australia Post) between these hours.
I went in there the next day on my way to work, picked it up, and that was it. Nothing more to pay.

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby NOLA » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:14 am

Adam Lambert sucks. I saw Q+AL in Houston in Jul 2014 and while I enjoyed the show it was because of Queens music performed by Brian and Roger as well as the backing musicians - I had to grit my teeth and squeeze my knuckles to get though the screeching that was and is Adam Lambert. I understand that Brian and Roger say he is "one in a billion etc" but I have to believe that they only lie like that to further Queen's legacy.

NOLA
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:07 am

I don't particularly want to get into the Adam Lambert debate but why would Brian and Roger lie about how good they think Adam is? If they didn't really think he was good why work with him in the first place and damage their legacy with someone they didn't really believe was that good? There can't be a shortage of singers who would love the chance to collaborate with Queen, why choose someone they don't believe is that good?

If our opinions are different to Brian and Roger's then that's another matter but I don't see any reason for Brian and Roger to want to work with someone they don't think is good and then lie about it

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby agkelly » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:20 pm

I have to agree with BitterTears.

I'll admit, before I saw Q+AL at Hammersmith in 2012, I was hesitant to believe he would be a good fit.
By the end of the show, I was converted. I've seen them 9 times now, and we all know he's not Freddie Mercury, but no-one else is or ever will be, so they either go hide in the shadows forever which is a terrible shame for the world and indeed themselves if they love playing concerts, or they find someone who can sing the songs.

They are playing to packed venues throughout the world, bringing the music of Queen to new generations, with a number of younger members of the audience initially there to see Adam Lambert but coming away fans of Queen. None of this is a bad thing in my books. The only people who seem to have an issue with it are people who can't accept anyone else singing for Queen except Freddie Mercury. To be blunt, these people don't have to go see them, nor is anyone forcing them to buy the releases or watch clips of them online, and them not going to their concerts only allows room for the rest of us to get better seats!

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby capri1600l » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm finding it hard to buy this DVD I get to checkout put in card details, then it just comes up with error and takes me back to the shop,
Any help please.
capri1600l

capri1600l
Spread Your Wings

Postby Walter B. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:53 pm

On general sale in Japan April 19: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/person/700778635

Walter B.
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert