Q+AL 2017 Tour Set List

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Q+AL 2017 Tour Set List

Postby dazzag1982 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:00 am

Here I go opening another can of worms....but what do you think we will hear this time around.

According to the press release and the EPK they are going to be playing stuff that either hasn't been played before or not for a long time

With the 40th anniversary of News of The World I think we can expect a couple of tracks from that along with WWRY and WATC of course

- Spread Your Wings - I can defo see this being played
- Sheer Heart Attack - this one depends on Roger - its a fast one on the drums and traditionally was played towards the end of the set before WWRY but id say this could be more and 2nd or 3rd song to get it out of the way if they do decide to go for it
- It's Late - this would have been perfect for Paul Rodgers but was ignored - Adam could defo do it as well but I can't see this one getting in
- Get Down Make Love - I think this will be played as it would be a great intro to Brian's guitar solo and then jump into it again at the end - Brian also said that Adam is great at getting down and dirty with the rock stuff so perhaps that is a hint to that song
- Sleeping on the Sidewalk - This would be a great surprise for just Brian and Roger and could see this happening on the B stage during the accoustic section if they have roger's 2nd kit on there - would be a very nice pure queen moment

As for other stuff, its difficult to choose 25 songs for a set with their catelogue - They will of course play the hits but I suppose it's defining a hit - Bo Rhap, Radio Ga Ga, Crazy Little Thing, Rock You, Champions, Bite The Dust are prob the ones they will defo be in there - outside of that there's Under Pressure which is great Adam and Roger duet, I Want It All has been in every Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert tour so it's obviously considered a favourite of Brian.....Tie Your Mother Down also has always been there for every tour since it was released....

I think if you look at the New Years Eve show from 2014 that was an hour of what can they fit in and for a mainstream audience it was what they considered their main hits

something has to make way for different stuff and I think Fat Bottomed Girls, Don't Stop Me Now, Killer Queen, Tie Your Mother Down may be ones to make way

As for this stuff which has never been played before... perhaps the guys have collborated and written a new song and it will be premiered???

I think News of The World is the main attention of the different stuff because of the 40th anniverssary but Ive mentioned this a few times on this forum but the band for obvious reasons never got the chance to tour the Miracle and Innuendo albums. I Want It All is the only song to have been played from the Miracle and I'd like to see more...the title track The Miracle itself and Breakthru are the 2 main ones in terms of singles and Was It All Worth It would sound brilliant live.....as for Innuendo album, Innuendo was a number 1 hit in the UK and its very theatrical and dramatic which Adam would kill...also Headlong would be a great steady rocker in there could see the audience sing the "Hoop Diddy Diddy" part...maybe im wishing for too much but would love this tour to represent the full span of Queen's work and those 2 albums have been overlooked in my opinion.

What do you guys think??

dazzag1982
Spread Your Wings

Re: Q+AL 2017 Tour Set List

Postby Faellie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:16 am

In the tour publicity Adam is talking about how much he enjoys Killer Queen, so that one might stay.

Otherwise, difficult to say. Brian often talks about the balance of a show, mixing the loud and fast with slower and quieter, in order to make it flow. So if they do take out songs like Fat Bottomed Girls, Don't Stop Me Now and Tie Your Mother Down they will need some rockers to replace them - I'd love to hear Brian doing the Headlong riff.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby AngelR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am

Brian will never let 'Fat Bottomed Girls' go, he enjoys it so much!

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby BitterTears » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:13 pm

In the video when Adam mentions that they'll perhaps do lesser played songs, there is no mention of News of the World and the 40th anniversary. But obviously the article mentions it. I wonder if the writer of the article just put two and two together to get five or if off camera the boys specifically mentioned NotW? Album anniversaries has never seemed important to them before, I don't see why this particular anniversary of that particular album would spark something.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Action This Day » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 pm

We've been promised surprises before and very little happened. Remember that even in Freddie's time Queen setlists never varied much during a tour.

I'd actually be happy to hear the setlist they were touring in 2015. If they drop FBG I might not go, my favourite Queen song.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby soxtalon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Looked at this elsewhere so might as well put this here:

A few thoughts: I would LOVE for a new set list but I don't see much in the way of changes ever again unfortunately. Brian specifically is a bit....lazy in his old age. Not meant to be a real criticism...I just think he doesn't want to really work at brushing off an old track when he get as many cheers doing the same hits they've been doing....

They do ~27-30 songs per gig. We'll be pessimistic and say 28 (not including God Save The Queen).

In the US they MUST play (maybe in their contract :P):
We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites The Dust, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and I'd say Under Pressure given the Bowie revival still going pretty strong.

That leaves us: 22

The tracks that they never seem to leave home without playing even if they are not necessarily "Must Plays":
Tie Your Mother Down, Love Of My Life, Guitar Solo, Last Horizon, Radio Ga Ga, EITHER Days of Our Lives or A Kind Of Magic, Drum Battle/Solo,

Now down to 15

The tracks that are Adam musts and a few tracks that have not left since Adam's been around for full tours:
Somebody To Love, Who Wants To Live Forever, Killer Queen, Stone Cold Crazy, In The Lap Of the Gods, Seven Seas Of Rhye, I Want It All, Fat Bottomed Girls

Down to 7 Tracks

Now it's the tracks that are kind of cycled through as differences:
The Show Must Go On, Dragon Attack (esp in America), I Want To Break Free, Don't Stop Me Now

Then it leaves the 3-4 tracks that are usually new or left from previous bits:
Hammer To Fall, Keep Yourself Alive, Love Kills, Play The Game, Save Me

SO I'd be for more of the same.

NOW
BASED Solely on the Deep Cuts and News of the World statements and how much the Live at the Rainbow release influenced the 2014 tour let me list my thoughts on the chances of tracks from that album:

WWRY/WATC - already in there leaving...

Sheer Heart Attack / All Dead All Dead / Spread Your Wings / Fight From The Inside / Get Down Make Love / Sleeping On The Sidewalk / Who Needs You / It's Late / My Melancholy Blues

IMO:
Out of that list it is MOST likely we'd get: Sheer Heart Attack/Spread Your Wings/Get Down Make Love
All 3 were performed heavily during the late 70s and
- SHA would stand to be this tours SCC
- SYW is a strong ballad choice for Adam who does ballads well
- GDML is a slinky funky song which Adam likes to do ala Dragon Attack

It's LEAST likely we'd get: All Dead All Dead / Who Needs You
Both not being very logical concert performers....and a deep John Deacon cut seems unlikely.

Leaving a middle possibility of: Sleeping On the Sidewalk / It's Late
- SOTW would be in Brian's solo time I would think which is why I give it a decent possibility. I doubt Adam does it.
- It's Late - Maybe I'm optimistic but maybe even they have heard fans clamoring for it for years....it wasn't done as often as some of the others and the band could view it in the "never done or not for a long time category"

with two Dark Horses of: Fight From The Inside / My Melancholy Blues.

FFTI - Small possibility that Roger decides to change up from his Days of Our LIves/A Kind Of Magic bit and throws this one in instead I still doubt it though
MMB - well it's such a "Freddie" song which would be my only hangup but for some reason it seems like a longshot possibility but still better than some of the others

In order of what I would want:

It's Late (BY FAR this is what I want)

Spread Your Wings
Sheer Heart Attack
Fight From The Inside

My Melancholy Blues

Sleeping On The Sidewalk
All Dead All Dead
Who Needs You

Get Down Make Love

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:54 pm

I'd go with WWRY [both BBC Versions], WATC, Spread Your Wings [BBC Version] and maybe Sheer Heart Attack.
http://www.last.fm/user/WillieTheGimp
Maud R. Fokker
Hugh Jardon
Cox Ucker

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Has spanked: 5049 times / Been spanked: 0 times

Postby TheHero » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 pm

It's Late

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 pm

The Queen machinery is ready to rock! 8)

Would be brilliant if they put out Live At Earl's Court 1977 next winter, combined with the European tour, as it is NOTW anniversary in 2017. Fingers crossed. :)

That would be a present for the Queen purists too. ;)

No matter what, I am glad Brian and Roger keep the wheels rolling; The Show Must Go On!

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby QueenFan19 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 am

They will probably play the live regulars, so:
1. Seven Seas Of Rhye
2. Killer Queen
3. Stone Cold Crazy
4. Bohemian Rhapsody
5. Love Of My Life
6. Somebody To Love
7. Tie Your Mother Down
8. We Will Rock You
9. We Are The Champions
10. Fat Bottomed Girls
11. Don't Stop Me Now
12. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
13. Another One Bites The Dust
14. Under Pressure
15. Radio Ga Ga
16. I Want To Break Free
17. Hammer To Fall
18. A Kind Of Magic (Or These Are The Days Of Our Lives)
19. Who Wants To Live Forever
20. I Want It All
21. The Show Must Go On (half the time)
22. Guitar Solo/Last Horizon
23. Drum Battle

Songs I would like to hear:
1. Now I'm Here
2. In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited
3. You're My Best Friend
4. '39
5. We Will Rock You - Fast
6. It's Late
7. Spread Your Wings
8. Save Me or Too Much Love Will Kill You

Well it's News Of The World milestone this year so let's hope we get at least Spread Your Wings and It's Late in the set! I'm not so sure about Sheer Heart Attack - I think it's a bit inappropriate for today. Perhaps they might start the show with We Will Rock You - Fast! Well I hope so!

I've always wondered why they haven't done You're My Best Friend - it's a song which could be a good climax to the medley after Killer Queen. I've always liked Too Much Love Will Kill You perhaps it's a good alternative to Save Me, Now I'm Here would be one I would like to hear again.
It's so easy, but I can't do it
But some day one day
I should be doing all right

QueenFan19
Spread Your Wings

Postby m.j.godley » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 pm

I would not cling too tightly to the NOTW hint. It could well be that The Miracle, Innunendo and Made in Heaven feature.

Throwing these out there...

Let me live?

The Miracle?

Invisible Man?

I can't live with you?

Thank god it's Christmas could well feature too!

m.j.godley
Spread Your Wings

Postby bluerhap » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Add It's Late and Spread Your Wings and I would be a happy man.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby parchedpeas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 pm

My prediction, based on everything post-Fred, will be lots more Brian songs and less of the stuff from the others.

Quite an amusing game to play, counting the number of Freddie songs they played at the Freddie tribute gig.

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:46 pm

parchedpeas wrote:
Quite an amusing game to play, counting the number of Freddie songs they played at the Freddie tribute gig.

About 4? :?
http://www.last.fm/user/WillieTheGimp
Maud R. Fokker
Hugh Jardon
Cox Ucker

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Has spanked: 5049 times / Been spanked: 0 times

Postby soxtalon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:18 pm

Here's the thing about that.... Singing songs Fred sing is difficult enough. Brian's songs are good but much closer to stereotypical rock songs thus the easiest for mainstream rock singers to tackle. That might be a good reason why it tilted towards Brian songs

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert