setlist

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

setlist

Postby fosterol » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:28 am

I was, like many genuinely excited at the nes tracks and its late was superb. Why the song that alienated them in america has replaced those tracks is baffling. I dont mind break free but a great live song it aint, it wasnt when freddie was shouting his way through it, it certainly isnt now.
They are not willing to work at the back catalogue and pander too much to Adam Lambert. He has the privilege of playing with this band so learn the fucking songs beacuse when queen aint happenng his star will fade and he really should make the most of this..
I love seeing queen doing it out there but the days of them saying 'we are an abums band' are long gone..they are a queen greatest hits band and their back catalogue is pretty pointless now and they clearly seem to think so.
This is news of the world meets las vegas..fodder for the masses

fosterol
We Will Rock You

Re: setlist

Postby CNB » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:05 pm

fosterol wrote:I was, like many genuinely excited at the nes tracks and its late was superb. Why the song that alienated them in america has replaced those tracks is baffling. I dont mind break free but a great live song it aint, it wasnt when freddie was shouting his way through it, it certainly isnt now.
They are not willing to work at the back catalogue and pander too much to Adam Lambert. He has the privilege of playing with this band so learn the fucking songs beacuse when queen aint happenng his star will fade and he really should make the most of this..
I love seeing queen doing it out there but the days of them saying 'we are an abums band' are long gone..they are a queen greatest hits band and their back catalogue is pretty pointless now and they clearly seem to think so.
This is news of the world meets las vegas..fodder for the masses

I agree with you wholeheartedly and was thrilled when they included two songs from the NOTW album in keeping with the theme of this show celebrating the 40th anniversary of the album! I like IWTBF but think it's a mistake to insert it in place of IL and SYW!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Danne » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:22 pm

I agree. I was really looking forward to (hopefully) hearing them play those two songs in Sweden, going back to IWtBF really feels like playing it safe and is quite dull.

Danne
Spread Your Wings

Postby agkelly » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:41 pm

I love IWTBF, but having seen Q+AL twice recently in Canada, 'It's Late' and 'Spread Your Wings' were two of my highlights and I would much prefer them to both be in the setlist again by the time they get to Australia early next year. In fact, for everyone else's benefit too, I'd love to have them back in the setlist as soon as possible.

For them to say before the tour that they were making the hard choices and cutting some 'Greatest Hits' and inserting some lesser known tracks (with the 40th anniversary of NOTW in mind), then to change that mindset 2 weeks in is disappointing, I have to say. Hopefully there is a reason they're doing it and change back first chance they get.

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby GalileoFigaro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:18 am

Honestly, I was surprised that IWTBF was higher up on the group's list of "resurrections" than TYMD, especially since "I Want to Break Free" is arguably thematically similar to "Two Fux" (and comparably light-hearted). Actually TF was given a quite scathing review from the Minneapolis newspaper The Star Tribune:

And the one new number, “Two Fux” from his upcoming solo album, was a misguided dud.

I wonder if Brian will have anything to say about that on his soapbox.
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby agkelly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Agreed re: 'Tie Your Mother Down'.
Bring that back in, along with 'It's Late' and 'Spread Your Wings', and we're on the right track!

agkelly
Spread Your Wings

Postby inu-liger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 am

agkelly wrote:For them to say before the tour that they were making the hard choices and cutting some 'Greatest Hits' and inserting some lesser known tracks (with the 40th anniversary of NOTW in mind), then to change that mindset 2 weeks in is disappointing, I have to say. Hopefully there is a reason they're doing it and change back first chance they get.

EXACTLY, and this is bullshit too.

I wrote Brian a tweet, and you guys should too in a similar vein.
https://twitter.com/inuliger/status/887143680988950528

inu-liger
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:38 am

inu-liger wrote:
agkelly wrote:For them to say before the tour that they were making the hard choices and cutting some 'Greatest Hits' and inserting some lesser known tracks (with the 40th anniversary of NOTW in mind), then to change that mindset 2 weeks in is disappointing, I have to say. Hopefully there is a reason they're doing it and change back first chance they get.

EXACTLY, and this is bullshit too.

I wrote Brian a tweet, and you guys should too in a similar vein.
https://twitter.com/inuliger/status/887143680988950528

I don't tweet, but I feel fans deserve to know why it's dropped other than AL saying 'because we felt like it'. Especially after all the hype about it been 40 years since NOTW.
Good luck. I hope someone gets an answer.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby GalileoFigaro » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:52 am

I doubt TPTB read this forum to get the message, but I couldn't help but find this ironic...

On a tour touted to be, in part, a celebration of News of the World, they are now playing just three songs from that album (GDML, WWRY, WATC). The setlist also has the same number of tracks from A Night at the Opera (IILWMC, LOML, Bo Rhap), Jazz (FBG, DSMN, Bicycle Race) and The Works (HTF, IWTBF, RGG).

:cop:
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:10 am

The question still remains unanswered -- why did they start the NA tour with the successful addition of two NOTW tracks, IL and SYW, and then suddenly drop them with no explanation after 9 shows?
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Jimi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:45 am

Well I know its all about opinions but I think this is now the worst 'Post Queen' setlist.

Here is just a few tracks that have ben played that are now missing.
DOOL
SMGO
NIH
SSOR
OV

All cracking tracks worthy of inclusion

Now we have an overtly camp Bicycle Race that sounds pretty shit. It was never a great live track.
IWTBF - Shit song shit live.
I'm waiting for Body Language to sneak in next.
:bomb:

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 am

Jimi wrote:Well I know its all about opinions but I think this is now the worst 'Post Queen' setlist.

Here is just a few tracks that have ben played that are now missing.
DOOL
SMGO
NIH
SSOR
OV

All cracking tracks worthy of inclusion

Now we have an overtly camp Bicycle Race that sounds pretty shit. It was never a great live track.
IWTBF - Shit song shit live.
I'm waiting for Body Language to sneak in next.
:bomb:

I was and still am disappointed that DOOL has been dropped. I think I might have been the first one to notice it here that it was no longer being played in this leg of the tour. Out of all the songs, I think DOOL not being played it the biggest disappointment so far. Not only was/is a lovely reflective song, and Roger sang it beautifully, it paid a wonderful tribute to Freddie and John.
Maybe, hopefully some songs will come back during the overseas tour. To know some songs was dropped so suddenly, without good reason...
And to rub salt in the wound there is the AL solo song TF being performed during these shows. Yeah, it's not sitting well with me at all to be honest.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Jimi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:22 am

Me neither
DOOL was awesome on the QPR tours too.
Its not just reflective it is a change down that is welcome in the set.
I just think its a quality bit of work. Pity they seem to think IWTBF is also.

I would drop AOBTD AND CLTCL in Europe.
WE have all heard them enough and we are not really that keen on them so get them out.
Be brave!. NO ONE WILL CARE !!

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:24 pm

It really beggars belief that BOTH songs have gone, but in particular it's mystifying about Its Late cos it seemed to work perfectly. Probably more so than any other Queen song I've heard him sing, for once AL focused on delivering killer vocals that complemented the song and band, with no shreiking or obsessiveness to show the audience that's he's gay.

As much as I'm looking forward to the gigs I've got booked in US, UK and Holland, it's appears it's just yet another chance to mostly celebrate GH1&2 yet again.... totally to the contrary of how the tour was marketed.

At least with Q&PR we were guaranteed a few quality Free and Bad Company songs to mix things up (and boy did Brian and Roger play them well).

If the set list isn't mixed up again on the remainder of this tour, I wouldn't be surprised if they struggled to sell future tours because I know fair weather fans who went in 2014/15 and only booked this time because they were under the impression it wouldn't be same old, same old...

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:44 pm

[quote="dave4343palace"]It really beggars belief that BOTH songs have gone, but in particular it's mystifying about Its Late cos it seemed to work perfectly. Probably more so than any other Queen song I've heard him sing, for once AL focused on delivering killer vocals that complemented the song and band, with no shreiking or obsessiveness to show the audience that's he's gay.
quote]

That is so true.
Yes we know you are gay Adam,. However this is not cabaret its a rock show.(or at least according to Brian it is as he constantly reminds us on his twitter feed)
I'm not surprised at all that you are backing down from this tour because I know a lot of people in the 35-60 age bracket who are not impressed with some of what they have seen online so far.
I am nowhere near the most aggravated by it. There is some seriously pissed of people. £80 for a ticket for a greatest hits cirque de soleil show and a fucking robots head.
I never said that but I get why some people are.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert