The Queen History Thread (pre-QAL)

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: The Queen History Thread (pre-QAL)

Postby icy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:00 am

Facts or opinions?
I will give my opinion. No, they weren't quite prog rock, even though some songs came close to it. Queen were a bit all over the place genre wise in certain songs and techniques on their albums.
Someone else will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but they didn't settle on any one genre. I love how the band put things together and ended it all up as Queen :D.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby GalileoFigaro » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:16 am

Montavilla wrote:I was listening to a podcast the other day, in which some reporter was talking about Prog Rock. He didn't mention Queen, which I thought a little odd, because he described it as (I'm paraphrasing) high-brow rock, mixing classical elements with heavy rock drums and guitar. Sounded a lot like Queen to me.

Anyhoo, last night I started watching some Queen documentary, Magic Moments, I believe. And in that one, they were definitely called Prog Rock (at least in Queen and Queen II).

So, is Queen Prog Rock? Or were they for a time, and then something else? Did they have an influence of the Prog Rock movement (which was described in the podcast as a dead end, or off-shoot genre).

Thank you in advance.

This is a somewhat divisive issue among hardcore progressive rock fans. Generally speaking, Queen is not considered to be a prog rock band. Their earlier output (specifically the two albums you mentioned, but mostly Queen II) was certainly as close to it as they ever got. Their sophomore album is an incredible mixture of heavy guitar interspersed with gentle interludes, fanciful lyrics, gorgeous harmonies and memorable melodies -- undoubtedly a work of complex art rock if not full-blown progressive rock.

By late 1974, I think the band figured that they could take the fast road to success by pumping out hit singles while maintaining their classic sound. Starting with Sheer Heart Attack, they started to play to a new strength -- well-executed radio friendly pop (such as "Killer Queen"). That said, they didn't instantly abandon their prog roots. You can hear it in tracks like "Brighton Rock" and "In the Lap of the Gods" (not "Revisited") on SHA and "The Prophet's Song" on ANATO. Some have even said that "Bohemian Rhapsody" could be considered to be a more accessible take on progressive rock, owing to its tempo changes, dramatic contrasts and frequent shifts in rhythmic character. By NOTW, the band seemed to have abandoned prog for good, but they revisited it towards the end with "Innuendo" (the song), which features guitar work from Steve Howe of Yes, and is especially reminiscent of the epic sounds heard in Queen II.
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby GalileoFigaro » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:54 am

Darren Lock, one of the most popular prog rock fans active on YouTube, has a great review of Queen II in which he argues that it is, in fact, a progressive rock album:

phpBB [video]

He also reviews Queen I, Sheer Heart Attack and A Night at the Opera as part of the same "Prog Review" series (all linked in the sidebar), so take that for what it's worth.
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Postby Montavilla » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks for the insight, Icy and GalileoFigaro. I appreciate the answers. I was looking for facts and opinions, and that's what I got. :D
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Montavilla wrote:Thanks for the insight, Icy and GalileoFigaro. I appreciate the answers. I was looking for facts and opinions, and that's what I got. :D

To GFs credit, and I bet you know this by know, his explanations/POVs are better than mine. :D
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby GalileoFigaro » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 am

Montavilla wrote:Thanks for the insight, Icy and GalileoFigaro. I appreciate the answers. I was looking for facts and opinions, and that's what I got. :D

Glad you got something out of it! :)

icy wrote:To GFs credit, and I bet you know this by know, his explanations/POVs are better than mine. :D

I appreciate the kind words, icy, but I think I'm an average writer! :lol:

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert