QAL, Toyota Center, Houston, TX, August 5,2017

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

QAL, Toyota Center, Houston, TX, August 5,2017

Postby CNB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:13 am

This is it -- the last show of the 2017 tour to North America!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Re: QAL, Toyota Center, Houston, TX, August 5,2017

Postby AngelR » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:07 am

Thank you, CNB. Great job running these threads! Can't believe it's the end of the USA tour. :(

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby QueenUSA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Is it sold out?

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby AngelR » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:35 pm

QueenUSA wrote:Is it sold out?

We will see soon. :)

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby NOLA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Drove over from New Orleans with my son/his wife and my daughter to see QAL in Houston tonight. Really looking forward to it as I've drummed Queen into my kids heads for their entire lives (30 years old for him and 27 years old for her - they know plenty of the "deep cuts").

Not the biggest fan of Adam Lambert but if he's the vehicle that's needed to see Brian and Roger one more time then so be it. I thought seeing them in Houston in 2014 was going to be the last time they'd ever tour the USA but here they are 3 years later doing it again and I have to believe that this show, due to their ages, will be Brian and Rogers last live performances in the USA forever - couldn't/wouldn't miss it for the world.

I saw Queen two times in 1978, New Orleans and Oakland, two times in 1980, Frankfurt and Essen and once in 1982, Frankfurt again. Also got to see The Brian May Band open for Guns n' Roses in Birmingham, Alabama in 1993 and QPR in San Diego on Apr 1, 2006.

NOLA
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenUSA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 pm

NOLA wrote:Drove over from New Orleans with my son/his wife and my daughter to see QAL in Houston tonight. Really looking forward to it as I've drummed Queen into my kids heads for their entire lives (30 years old for him and 27 years old for her - they know plenty of the "deep cuts").

Not the biggest fan of Adam Lambert but if he's the vehicle that's needed to see Brian and Roger one more time then so be it. I thought seeing them in Houston in 2014 was going to be the last time they'd ever tour the USA but here they are 3 years later doing it again and I have to believe that this show, due to their ages, will be Brian and Rogers last live performances in the USA forever - couldn't/wouldn't miss it for the world.

I saw Queen two times in 1978, New Orleans and Oakland, two times in 1980, Frankfurt and Essen and once in 1982, Frankfurt again. Also got to see The Brian May Band open for Guns n' Roses in Birmingham, Alabama in 1993 and QPR in San Diego on Apr 1, 2006.

NOLA...what an honor to even exchange with you! Wow...New Orleans in 1978? Halloween night? I was only 9 years old then and I remember reading about it in Circus Magazine and Freddie told the reporter that he may "get a blow job" after the show. Well, I had no idea what that meant and I asked my mom what that was! The color drained out of her face and she threatened to take away all of my Queen records. :lol:

Just curious, what did you like better the QPR show or the QAL one?

Have fun tonight!!!!! It's the last show of the tour!!!! I'm so happy for you and your family!!!!

Please give us a report!!!!

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby NOLA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:29 pm

The QPR show in 2006 was huge because it had been 24 years since I had seen Queen plus I grew up (allegedly!) in the '70's and was a big fan of Paul Rodgers and I really enjoyed the Free/Bad Company songs they added to the set list.

The QAL show in Houston in 2014 was big because I guessed (incorrectly) that it would be the last time I would be able to see Brian and Roger live plus the addition of "Procession" as the intro and the inclusion of some songs that hadn't been played live in years.

Can't say one was better than the other - I heard someone once describe Paul Rodgers as having one of the most "stable" rock n' roll voices ever and that's probably true but that voice also limited the QPR set list. Others have said Adam Lambert has a voice in a billion and it does allow for the set list to cover songs QPR couldn't but I'm not a fan of some of the screeching he sometimes does although he seems to be doing less of that with each tour.

My deal is to see Brian and Roger (specifically to hear Brian and his Red Special) while they are still trodding the boards and it's really special to have my two kids with me (and my son's wife) because as mentioned before they'll finally get to see, to some extent, what this has all meant to me since I first heard Queen in the early/mid 70's.

NOLA
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenUSA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:42 pm

NOLA wrote:
My deal is to see Brian and Roger (specifically to hear Brian and his Red Special) while they are still trodding the boards and it's really special to have my two kids with me (and my son's wife) because as mentioned before they'll finally get to see, to some extent, what this has all meant to me since I first heard Queen in the early/mid 70's.

Oh...understood! It's all about Brian and Roger for me as well, but I appreciate what Adam is able to contribute. I think the tours with Adam are doing better(sales-wise) than QPR did in the States. Was the QPR show that you saw in 2006 sold-out/packed and was the audience response more/less enthusiastic than the QAL show?

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby NOLA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:38 pm

No doubt about it the QAL tours have sold much better than the QPR tours. When I saw QPR in San Diego in 2006 I think the arena was a 9,000 seater and it was about 2/3 to 3/4 full although the people that were there were very enthusiastic.

NOLA
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenUSA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:42 pm

NOLA wrote:No doubt about it the QAL tours have sold much better than the QPR tours. When I saw QPR in San Diego in 2006 I think the arena was a 9,000 seater and it was about 2/3 to 3/4 full although the people that were there were very enthusiastic.

Thanks NOLA! Have fun tonight! I can't wait for your report after the show!

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Hope you enjoy the concert :D
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby NOLA » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 am

Thoroughly enjoyed the show! Mr. Lambert has greatly reduced the screeching/warbling he used to constantly do to stretch notes/words/lyrics out to virtually nothing which enhances the show a lot. My kids (ages 27 and 30) really enjoyed it too and while it wasn't "Queen" they somewhat got to see what this has all been about for me for the past 40+ years.

Roger Taylor's voice was very strong, shockingly good on I'm In Love With My Car and especially Under Pressure, and while he can't play drums with the speed or power he once could the bottom end/rhythm section was very solid. Brian May sang Love of My Life as well as I've ever heard him sing it and just in the past couple of years I was beginning to worry that he really couldn't sing much at all anymore but he proved me wrong. His guitar playing was very good, obviously not as fast/attacking as when he was younger but good nonetheless although a there were a few points in the show where his guitar got lost in the mix a bit.

The audience was good to great and got an extra bonus when Tie Your Mother Down was played in between the normal encore songs We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions.

My personal preference would have been for the show to open with the fast We Will Rock You then Let Me Entertain You but the WWRY teaser and Hammer to Fall worked better than I thought it would. Sure would have liked to have seen them play It's Late and Spread Your Wings but from what I could tell a lot of the audience wouldn't necessarily have thought the same which is probably why they were both dropped even though they were being performed excellently through the first 10 shows. Get Down Make Love worked well though. Highlights were Somebody to Love, Under Pressure and I Want It All.

As I'm guessing this will be the last time Brian and Roger tour the USA I had to make sure I saw them and I'm glad I did. Both my kids asked me why they haven't been the half-time act at the Super Bowl before and the only reason I could come up with is the powers that be with the NFL are flat out stupid because based on the performance I witnessed tonight they would blow the lid off the Super Bowl!

NOLA
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 am

NOLA wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the show! Mr. Lambert has greatly reduced the screeching/warbling he used to constantly do to stretch notes/words/lyrics out to virtually nothing which enhances the show a lot. My kids (ages 27 and 30) really enjoyed it too and while it wasn't "Queen" they somewhat got to see what this has all been about for me for the past 40+ years.

Roger Taylor's voice was very strong, shockingly good on I'm In Love With My Car and especially Under Pressure, and while he can't play drums with the speed or power he once could the bottom end/rhythm section was very solid. Brian May sang Love of My Life as well as I've ever heard him sing it and just in the past couple of years I was beginning to worry that he really couldn't sing much at all anymore but he proved me wrong. His guitar playing was very good, obviously not as fast/attacking as when he was younger but good nonetheless although a there were a few points in the show where his guitar got lost in the mix a bit.

The audience was good to great and got an extra bonus when Tie Your Mother Down was played in between the normal encore songs We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions.

My personal preference would have been for the show to open with the fast We Will Rock You then Let Me Entertain You but the WWRY teaser and Hammer to Fall worked better than I thought it would. Sure would have liked to have seen them play It's Late and Spread Your Wings but from what I could tell a lot of the audience wouldn't necessarily have thought the same which is probably why they were both dropped even though they were being performed excellently through the first 10 shows. Get Down Make Love worked well though. Highlights were Somebody to Love, Under Pressure and I Want It All.

As I'm guessing this will be the last time Brian and Roger tour the USA I had to make sure I saw them and I'm glad I did. Both my kids asked me why they haven't been the half-time act at the Super Bowl before and the only reason I could come up with is the powers that be with the NFL are flat out stupid because based on the performance I witnessed tonight they would blow the lid off the Super Bowl!

Was TYMD played in full? Nice touch :mrgreen:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby snifflese » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:00 pm

Glad to see that NOLA enjoyed the concert. I told you'all that the band is much better than 2014! Adam's voice is stronger, he doesn't embellish as much, the band is really tight and they love to play together!! You can nitpick it all you want, but that doesn't make it so! I am also waiting for GF's review, as he also said surprisingly that the show was spectacular. People with open minds seem to like it a lot and those who aren't lucky enough to have one, don't.

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:08 pm

snifflese wrote:Glad to see that NOLA enjoyed the concert. I told you'all that the band is much better than 2014! Adam's voice is stronger, he doesn't embellish as much, the band is really tight and they love to play together!! You can nitpick it all you want, but that doesn't make it so! I am also waiting for GF's review, as he also said surprisingly that the show was spectacular. People with open minds seem to like it a lot and those who aren't lucky enough to have one, don't.

People with open minds understand that different people have different opinions and tastes. For some reason, you don't seem to understand that simple notion. Who are you to come here and stereotype people because they don't share your adoration of AL? Do you know what music I like for instance other than Queen? If you did, you might realise my mind is very open.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert