QAL, Toyota Center, Houston, TX, August 5,2017

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: QAL, Toyota Center, Houston, TX, August 5,2017

Postby icy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 pm

JLP wrote:
snifflese wrote:Glad to see that NOLA enjoyed the concert. I told you'all that the band is much better than 2014! Adam's voice is stronger, he doesn't embellish as much, the band is really tight and they love to play together!! You can nitpick it all you want, but that doesn't make it so! I am also waiting for GF's review, as he also said surprisingly that the show was spectacular. People with open minds seem to like it a lot and those who aren't lucky enough to have one, don't.

People with open minds understand that different people have different opinions and tastes. For some reason, you don't seem to understand that simple notion. Who are you to come here and stereotype people because they don't share your adoration of AL? Do you know what music I like for instance other than Queen? If you did, you might realise my mind is very open.

:agreepost:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Montavilla » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:52 pm

AngelR wrote:Thank you, CNB. Great job running these threads! Can't believe it's the end of the USA tour. :(

Ditto. It's really great to have a thread for each concert!

Thank you, CNB. :)
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby Montavilla » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:06 pm

NOLA wrote:Both my kids asked me why they haven't been the half-time act at the Super Bowl before and the only reason I could come up with is the powers that be with the NFL are flat out stupid because based on the performance I witnessed tonight they would blow the lid off the Super Bowl!

The PTB have their reasons for who gets picked to play the Super Bowl, but I do think they are missing an opportunity. WWRY and WATC are two of the best sports songs ever written. You'd think the NFL would want to see them played live at least once.

I was hoping QAL might show up this last year, because Lady Gaga did the half-time show, and it's not unheard of for the main act to invite guests.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:09 pm

snifflese wrote:Glad to see that NOLA enjoyed the concert. I told you'all that the band is much better than 2014! Adam's voice is stronger, he doesn't embellish as much, the band is really tight and they love to play together!! You can nitpick it all you want, but that doesn't make it so! I am also waiting for GF's review, as he also said surprisingly that the show was spectacular. People with open minds seem to like it a lot and those who aren't lucky enough to have one, don't.

I love enthusiasm for music, but you are missing a big point here: for some of us, it is not merely about how tight the band is, how well they played, etc. it is more to do with the fact that we feel this incarnation lacks a certain something. Of course, one is always going to get those who just hate regardless, but the majority of us, I feel, don't hate Adam or QAL, we just do not like them that much.

Adam is a lovely lad and is very respectful, but he is not a natural performer in my eyes: everything is too contrived, too rehearsed, too Glee-style for my taste...yep, I am starting to see this whole adventure as Glee Does Queen now (and I am not a Lambert hater at all).

Again, I will state that if these gigs bring people happiness then good for them - and it is putting the music out there more (which can only be a good thing), but a certain magic has been lost along the way.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby liliane » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:28 pm

musicalprostitute wrote: I love enthusiasm for music, but you are missing a big point here: for some of us, it is not merely about how tight the band is, how well they played, etc. it is more to do with the fact that we feel this incarnation lacks a certain something. Of course, one is always going to get those who just hate regardless, but the majority of us, I feel, don't hate Adam or QAL, we just do not like them that much.

Adam is a lovely lad and is very respectful, but he is not a natural performer in my eyes: everything is too contrived, too rehearsed, too Glee-style for my taste...yep, I am starting to see this whole adventure as Glee Does Queen now (and I am not a Lambert hater at all).

Again, I will state that if these gigs bring people happiness then good for them - and it is putting the music out there more (which can only be a good thing), but a certain magic has been lost along the way.

I have to say I really enjoy reading your posts, they are fair and balanced. Even though, you don't seem to like Adam that much as a performer, at least you can appreciate him as a person and not go spouting insulting nonsense for no reason.

Of course, we all have our opinions, likes/dislikes and our choices as to where we want to spend our money. Maybe the few clips you have seen of QAL and the descriptions you have heard if their concerts have made you decide that QAL is not worth your time and money. This is your prerogative and I have no problem with that.

That being said, it is my opinion that to be able to judge a live event, you have to be there live at that said event. The arena-encompassing sound, the pulsating music, the beauty of the effects and production, the energy of the crowd...cannot be captured in a professional recorded dvd, let alone a few YouTube recorded videos...

Of course, QAL is not Queen and Adam is not Freddie. Adam's banter has always been kinda corny and scripted even in his solo shows. That is who he is, sweet and dorky. If you go into a QAL show expecting a similar stage personality and voice as Freddie then of course you'll be sorely disappointed. QAL is not Queen but it is an extension of Queen and a celebration of Queen. The chemistry between Brian, Roger and Adam is undeniably real. They radiate so much joy on stage that it is infectious. They are having a great time and so is the audience. And it doesn't hurt that it is two rock legends (and the two founding members of Queen) and one of the greatest vocalist we have today, singing some of the greatest songs of all time. True, it might not be the magic of the Queen of old, but it is a different kind of magic.

It is also true that there are a lot of costume changes, some gimmicks and a full-on production but I do maintain that it is still at its core a rock show and not Glee or Vegas or musical theater. The music was loud and pulsating throughout the arena. And Adam has gotten better with the harder rock songs. The things people are complaining about on here amount to about 15 minutes of the show: the banter, the tricycle, Frank's head...they are not representative of the whole show. The funny thing is in all the shows I have been this time around, the audience just LOVE the very things that are the most complained about here. These are the things that remain memorable I guess and gets people laughing for a bit. When the show is able to make people laugh and make people cry, it is usually a good show.

Anyway, before anyone jumps in and say that they have the right to judge a live event through watching a few YouTube recorded videos without being there and that they have x or y reasons for not attending...judge and discuss away, it is your prerogative but it is also my prerogative to say that in my opinion, your opinion about a live event that you have not attended, holds little to no value.

Over the years, I can no longer count the amount of times I have read that "I was sceptical about Adam but he proved me wrong. He really does do the songs justice.. " and that "QAL is one of the best if not the best concert they have ever seen..." These are facts and they are not coincidental. I honestly do believe that QAL holds a certain magic and it is not only because I am a fan of Adam Lambert. If it was only because of Adam, then I would have his solo shows to look forward to. I love Brian's and Roger's parts as much as I love Adam's in a QAL show even after watching LOML and the drum solo for the sixth time. I do really treasure QAL but I am afraid that this is it this time around...

liliane
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:48 pm

liliane wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote: I love enthusiasm for music, but you are missing a big point here: for some of us, it is not merely about how tight the band is, how well they played, etc. it is more to do with the fact that we feel this incarnation lacks a certain something. Of course, one is always going to get those who just hate regardless, but the majority of us, I feel, don't hate Adam or QAL, we just do not like them that much.

I have to say I really enjoy reading your posts, they are fair and balanced. Even though, you don't seem to like Adam that much as a performer, at least you can appreciate him as a person and not go spouting insulting nonsense for no reason.

Of course, we all have our opinions, likes/dislikes and our choices as to where we want to spend our money. Maybe the few clips you have seen of QAL and the descriptions you have heard if their concerts have made you decide that QAL is not worth your time and money. This is your prerogative and I have no problem with that.

That being said, it is my opinion that to be able to judge a live event, you have to be there live at that said event. The arena-encompassing sound, the pulsating music, the beauty of the effects and production, the energy of the crowd...cannot be captured in a professional recorded dvd, let alone a few YouTube recorded videos...

Of course, QAL is not Queen and Adam is not Freddie. Adam's banter has always been kinda corny and scripted even in his solo shows. That is who he is, sweet and dorky. If you go into a QAL show expecting a similar stage personality and voice as Freddie then of course you'll be sorely disappointed. QAL is not Queen but it is an extension of Queen and a celebration of Queen. The chemistry between Brian, Roger and Adam is undeniably real. They radiate so much joy on stage that it is infectious. They are having a great time and so is the audience. And it doesn't hurt that it is two rock legends (and the two founding members of Queen) and one of the greatest vocalist we have today, singing some of the greatest songs of all time. True, it might not be the magic of the Queen of old, but it is a different kind of magic.

It is also true that there are a lot of costume changes, some gimmicks and a full-on production but I do maintain that it is still at its core a rock show and not Glee or Vegas or musical theater. The music was loud and pulsating throughout the arena. And Adam has gotten better with the harder rock songs. The things people are complaining about on here amount to about 15 minutes of the show: the banter, the tricycle, Frank's head...they are not representative of the whole show. The funny thing is in all the shows I have been this time around, the audience just LOVE the very things that are the most complained about here. These are the things that remain memorable I guess and gets people laughing for a bit. When the show is able to make people laugh and make people cry, it is usually a good show.

Anyway, before anyone jumps in and say that they have the right to judge a live event through watching a few YouTube recorded videos without being there and that they have x or y reasons for not attending...judge and discuss away, it is your prerogative but it is also my prerogative to say that in my opinion, your opinion about a live event that you have not attended, holds little to no value.

Over the years, I can no longer count the amount of times I have read that "I was sceptical about Adam but he proved me wrong. He really does do the songs justice.. " and that "QAL is one of the best if not the best concert they have ever seen..." These are facts and they are not coincidental. I honestly do believe that QAL holds a certain magic and it is not only because I am a fan of Adam Lambert. If it was only because of Adam, then I would have his solo shows to look forward to. I love Brian's and Roger's parts as much as I love Adam's in a QAL show even after watching LOML and the drum solo for the sixth time. I do really treasure QAL but I am afraid that this is it this time around...

Hello Liliane.

Firstly, thank you for your praise of my posts - much appreciated. It's lovely to see some manners on here! :)

Secondly, I completely respect your view regarding Adam and QAL; as I have always stated on here: I am more than happy for individuals who are enjoying this incarnation of Queen. And It makes me smile to know that this music is bringing folks from all over the world together (there is too much negativity and darkness out there in these times - so it is lovely to know so many people get so much out of these shows). I also respect your passion for Adam (I am the exact same about Freddie...probably worse :P ); and I really think that Adam fans and Queen fans have something in common in the sense that we are both very protective of our idols (and both of them have had their fair share of nasty criticism over the years - Freddie was slated so much back in the day and I used to argue with haters until I was blue in the face....but haters gonna hate and all that).

I know what you are saying regards watching these shows on YouTube, etc. No, of course it is not the same: I get that, I know that and I take that into account when making a judgement. From the many clips I have seen over the last few years, I can appreciate what a great singer Adam is (his voice is not always my cup of tea, but, saying that, there are certain songs in the Queen catalogue - Save Me being a prime example - that I think Adam does a beautiful job on and I cannot fault him) and I can clearly see how happy they all are together (and I have not seen Brian and Roger this happy for a very long time) and how well they gel on stage...but, I can also tell that this is not for me: Adam is not raw enough for me or real enough for me, regardless of how great a singer he is technically - and the camp one-liners, night after night, just turn me off big time (and that is not because they are camp or because I am homophobic or any such nonsense - I mean, I am the biggest Freddie fan I know of ffs!); it all seems so scripted and rehearsed and just a little bit sickly for my liking.

I have to say that I have always tried to keep an open mind about this whole thing - from the very start. I was even considering going to one of the shows a couple of years back, but in the end I decided that it was just not for me. I know full well that this is nothing like Queen with Freddie - and why should it be; I see it as a different beast altogether and there is no way I would be expecting to feel the same way as I did when Freddie was around...I get that. I appreciate that Adam has a hard job of navigating this too: if he sways too far from Freddie he would be seen as not being respectful, if he stays too close to the original he would be accused of being a clone - it cannot be easy and I admire the man for having the balls to go out there and take all this on (knowing full well he would get some shit from some quarters)...but admiration and respect are not enough to convince me that I would enjoy these shows, as I know in my heart of hearts that - wonderful singer as he is - Adam just does not do it for me...there is something lacking, I feel.

So, we will have to politely agree to disagree on this. I am happy for you - and the many, many others who are digging this and as a Queen fan it is lovely to know that this music is getting out there again and is being sang night after night by not just Queen fans but Adam fans too. I also love the fact that these shows are bringing people together who may not ever have connected if it weren't for QAL. And of course I love to see my darling Freddie on the screen once again (I feel immense pride and happiness as well as a deep sadness that someone so beautiful and so unique and colourful was taken from this world so fucking young). But it is not for me.

All the best. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby fairydandy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 am

. ;)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:44 pm

fairydandy wrote:. ;)