Why Queen are boring live (in 2017)

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Why Queen are boring live (in 2017)

Postby The Milkman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:00 pm

fairydandy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
I think you are one of the only people I know who think that Queen were just 'a 70's band and they are of little importance nowadays'; Queen, in many music fans eyes, are nearly up there with The Beatles (in fact, ask most youngsters today about both band's music and you will find that Queen are far more well known) in the sense that they are a legendary, timeless, pioneering band whose music is still loved and adored - and played - around the globe.

I think the sight of Lambert sitting on Frank's head has made you go a bit funny, fd.

KIller Queen, Bo Rhap, STL, WWRY, WATC, CLTCL...all 70's, the very songs that most people associate with 'Queen'. No one ever talks about Play the Game, Save Me, Scandal and the like, do they? That's not to say that they didn't have influence in the 80's and even 90's, but their heyday was clearly the 70's. I class myself as quite a Queen fan, even now after all of these years of nonsense on QOL, but there is no way that they are in the same category as The Beatles. Can anyone imagine Paul and Ringo going on tour with Adam fucking Lambert? No, they are far too special for that.

I don't think they are up there with the Beatles and I find it hard to believe that they would be in the top 10 on many critic's list. Now sales would be a totally different story. I hate RS but this is the first list that popped up on my search.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... n-20110426

Queen are #52.

Queen to me were more of a singles band in the 80s because some of their albums were weak. I hated The Miracle and I think AKOM and The Works are just OK. The Game is great and I even like Hot Space now but to me they had more misses in the 80s.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 am

fairydandy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
I think you are one of the only people I know who think that Queen were just 'a 70's band and they are of little importance nowadays'; Queen, in many music fans eyes, are nearly up there with The Beatles (in fact, ask most youngsters today about both band's music and you will find that Queen are far more well known) in the sense that they are a legendary, timeless, pioneering band whose music is still loved and adored - and played - around the globe.

I think the sight of Lambert sitting on Frank's head has made you go a bit funny, fd.

KIller Queen, Bo Rhap, STL, WWRY, WATC, CLTCL...all 70's, the very songs that most people associate with 'Queen'. No one ever talks about Play the Game, Save Me, Scandal and the like, do they? That's not to say that they didn't have influence in the 80's and even 90's, but their heyday was clearly the 70's. I class myself as quite a Queen fan, even now after all of these years of nonsense on QOL, but there is no way that they are in the same category as The Beatles. Can anyone imagine Paul and Ringo going on tour with Adam fucking Lambert? No, they are far too special for that.

Yes, they are more remembered for their 70s output; I am not disagreeing with you on that - what I mean is that they are much more than just a 70s band in most music fans' eyes.

And I am not stating that Queen are as big as The Beatles in terms of sales, but if you talk to most kids today many of them know Queen songs - many don't know much of The Beatles output. I would definitely put Queen up there alongside The Beatles, even without my 'I Love Freddie Mercury' hat on.

And, you're quite right: Paul and Ringo would not go out and do what Brian and Roger are doing...

...but then McCartney once wrote a song about frogs.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:48 am

The Milkman wrote:
I don't think they are up there with the Beatles and I find it hard to believe that they would be in the top 10 on many critic's list. Now sales would be a totally different story. I hate RS but this is the first list that popped up on my search.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... n-20110426

Queen are #52.

Queen to me were more of a singles band in the 80s because some of their albums were weak. I hated The Miracle and I think AKOM and The Works are just OK. The Game is great and I even like Hot Space now but to me they had
more misses in the 80s.

In what sense are they not up there with The Beatles? In many elitist music critics' eyes? Maybe. In terms of sales? Definitely. But across the globe I still think Queen are more recognisable and their music more well-known than The Beatles.

And as for Rolling Stone magazine? Fuck that shit. That dirty little rag have run a hate campaign against Queen for years. One only has to note that they put Queen at 52 in that list. Based on what? I wouldn't wipe my arse on that 'orrible little magazine (nearly as bad as the NME).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The Milkman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:56 pm

musicalprostitute wrote: But across the globe I still think Queen are more recognisable and their music more well-known than The Beatles.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:46 pm

The Milkman wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote: But across the globe I still think Queen are more recognisable and their music more well-known than The Beatles.

Fuck off :P

No, seriously, I really believe that Queen's music is more well known across the globe. Sure The Beatles are the bigger band in terms of sales and influence (and not forgetting being the music critics' darlings); but I maintain that Queen's music is more well-known today across the generations.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The Milkman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:06 pm

:lol:

Obviously there is no way to prove it but I still say you are way off.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby solemndrummer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am

I saw them during the previous tour, it was not good... I reckon the audience was happy and thrilled with the show, but to me, as a musician, knowing Queen like the back of my hand and having seen lots and lots of gigs, it didn't play well and I couldn't see where the energy described by some people were. Moreover, although Brian is still very good (even if I still don't understand why he left a part of BoRhap ending scale to the bass player anyway..), Roger is really "too old for this shit" and I think his hearing problems are part of it.. He can't play fast anymore, nor keep the tempo, he doesn't play precisely anymore.. And I was quite sad to witness it but you know, time can be merciless, we all know they used to be so good and I can't blame them for wanting to play gigs till they die, especially if people still want to see them.

That said, when they announced a special tour for the 40th anniversary of NOTW with less-known songs in the setlist, I was intrigued and very happy to see IL and SYW at the beginning of the US tour.. But you know what.. I decided to wait before buying tix for the European tour (I'm Belgian) because I felt there might be a chance they'd drop those songs... and that's exactly what they did... Sad and disappointed but I save money at least (126eur, so expensive!) and now I think it's time to move on and to give a chance to those new worthy bands playing at normal price.. ^^

solemndrummer
Spread Your Wings

Postby Echoplex » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:54 pm

They are still one of my favourite bands, and we are going to see them in Dec. But I did buy tickets with an elimination of genuine excitement after hearing that, A: they were going to dig deeper a play less well known beeper cuts and B that the set list would reflect NOTW.

What happened is we are going to get the usual go too Queen set. Just like the NOTW box set the live experience promised lots but seems to be delivering very little compared to the build up

As regards the guitar run at the end of Bo Rhap. Brian has said it's difficult to play right and as it was written on piano is not a natural progression for a guitarist. Add to this that he has said he only plays what he really enjoys playing and maybe it becomes more obvious why he doesn't play that part any more.

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:00 pm

I share everyone's disappointment in the setlist but boring is still the wrong word for me. I've not seen QAL for nearly 3 years so it's not like I've been watching almost the same show over and over. They could play the exact same setliat as last time and I'm certain I'll enjoy it from start to finish.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Previous

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert