Why Queen are boring live (in 2017)

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Why Queen are boring live (in 2017)

Postby liliane » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
JLP wrote:...
I had the misfortune to hear Lambert on a Radio 2 interview a while back when he said he treat performing live like being on the stage in a theatre. The two are nothing alike. One runs to a tight script and the other can be a musical masterpiece like Phantom, Evita etc. :lol:

Yeah, the two are distinctively different on many levels. I like the guy, and to be fair he is always very respectful about the legacy of the band. But what appealed to me about Queen live was the raw rock 'n' roll energy and substance. I know dear Freddie could camp it up to the max, but he could also rock out with the best of them - and be very natural in both roles. And I miss that real, unpredictable and genuine rock element with Queen+ these days.

musicalprostitute, by now I know your views about QAL and about Adam and I respect them. We all have different taste as to what we enjoy and feel is good enough or not to spare the time and money in order to go to a gig but I have to say it would have been very interesting to hear your thoughts after attending a QAL concert. Could a performance at Wembley stadium and billed as maybe the farewell tour tempt you? Probably not which is really too bad :) out of curiosity, did you attend the QPR concerts and if yes, did you like them?

liliane
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:58 am

JLP wrote:I had the misfortune to hear Lambert on a Radio 2 interview a while back when he said he treat performing live like being on the stage in a theatre. The two are nothing alike. One runs to a tight script and the other can be a musical masterpiece like Phantom, Evita etc. :lol:

I listened to that Lambert interview on Radio 2 today that Montavilla posted and he talked about the various artists who had influenced him — Freddie, Madonna, The Who, Elvis, David Bowie, Sam Cook, but I didn’t hear him say he treats performing live like being in musical theatre!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:04 pm

CNB wrote:
JLP wrote:I had the misfortune to hear Lambert on a Radio 2 interview a while back when he said he treat performing live like being on the stage in a theatre. The two are nothing alike. One runs to a tight script and the other can be a musical masterpiece like Phantom, Evita etc. :lol:

I listened to that Lambert interview on Radio 2 today that Montavilla posted and he talked about the various artists who had influenced him — Freddie, Madonna, The Who, Elvis, David Bowie, Sam Cook, but I didn’t hear him say he treats performing live like being in musical theatre!

I haven't heard this particular interview. What Adam has mentioned before is, that musical theater was a good training for him. He said, he gives his best at every concert, because he knows, even if it might be the 50th performance for him, for the audience its new. I think that implies, that QAL is a show, where (almost) everything is planned before. And that Adam is not someone, who runs completely free on stage. He is used to work through a "scipt". Even if it's his own. ;) I think, that's not considered as "rock'n roll" :biggrin:

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby JLP » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:29 am

CNB wrote:

There were five interviews. How many did she link to?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby CNB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:46 am

Monta posted links to all 5 of the interviews and I listened to all 5 yesterday. I’m glad you called attention to them because I didn’t know they were there. Adam gives a good explanation of what he was doing before he went on the Idol show and why he went on it. He wanted to do rock n’ roll, not musical theatre and that’s why he auditioned with Bohemian Rhapsody. While on the show he performed a stunning version of “Whole Lotta Love” which was the first time a Led Zeppelin song was performed on the show!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:30 pm

liliane wrote:
musicalprostitute, by now I know your views about QAL and about Adam and I respect them. We all have different taste as to what we enjoy and feel is good enough or not to spare the time and money in order to go to a gig but I have to say it would have been very interesting to hear your thoughts after attending a QAL concert. Could a performance at Wembley stadium and billed as maybe the farewell tour tempt you? Probably not which is really too bad :) out of curiosity, did you attend the QPR concerts and if yes, did you like them?

I did consider going to one of the shows a year or two back. I have always kept an open mind about QAL, but after deliberating for some time (and watching many clips on Youtube) I came to the conclusion that they are just not for me.

I like Adam as a person (from what I know of him), I like the respect he has for Freddie and Queen and I think his voice is incredibly powerful and technically perfect; but the sorry fact is that some of his stage antics grate on me and he lacks any substance in my eyes...all glitter but no sweat.

I never wanted to see QPR either. I am a 'Freddie' man (I would not have been a Queen fan without him, for sure) and so no one appeals to me in his shoes. I can like a performer, respect them, think they sing well (like Rodgers and Adam), but there is absolutely zero excitement for me (I get more excited watching a clip of Freddie from 40 years ago!). I do 'get' why others are into QAL though. And I am happy for anybody who enjoys their collaboration...

...I'll just stay indoors like a hermit and watch my Freddie videos and that's enough for this boring old fart. :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby liliane » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
liliane wrote:

I did consider going to one of the shows a year or two back. I have always kept an open mind about QAL, but after deliberating for some time (and watching many clips on Youtube) I came to the conclusion that they are just not for me.

I like Adam as a person (from what I know of him), I like the respect he has for Freddie and Queen and I think his voice is incredibly powerful and technically perfect; but the sorry fact is that some of his stage antics grate on me and he lacks any substance in my eyes...all glitter but no sweat.

I never wanted to see QPR either. I am a 'Freddie' man (I would not have been a Queen fan without him, for sure) and so no one appeals to me in his shoes. I can like a performer, respect them, think they sing well (like Rodgers and Adam), but there is absolutely zero excitement for me (I get more excited watching a clip of Freddie from 40 years ago!). I do 'get' why others are into QAL though. And I am happy for anybody who enjoys their collaboration...

...I'll just stay indoors like a hermit and watch my Freddie videos and that's enough for this boring old fart. :P

Lol, I already knew your answer but could not help asking :) I thought you might have seen Paul Rodgers so a "Freddie man" through and through, huh? :) I have to say I admire Freddie for having so many loyal and passionate fans even 26 years after his death. I am really sorry that Freddie was gone so soon and that Queen and their musical output had to be cut short. Honestly, even I got emotional when they showed a few clips of Freddie at the shows so I can't imagine how most of you must have felt...anyway Freddie and his music will always live on and it's a beautiful thing.

liliane
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:34 pm

liliane wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

Lol, I already knew your answer but could not help asking :) I thought you might have seen Paul Rodgers so a "Freddie man" through and through, huh? :) I have to say I admire Freddie for having so many loyal and passionate fans even 26 years after his death. I am really sorry that Freddie was gone so soon and that Queen and their musical output had to be cut short. Honestly, even I got emotional when they showed a few clips of Freddie at the shows so I can't imagine how most of you must have felt...anyway Freddie and his music will always live on and it's a beautiful thing.

That is a lovely thing to say, Liliane; Freddie was - and is - very much loved. And I think Queen fans are just as defensive about him as Adam fans are about their man (which comes from having to defend them from needless and cruel attacks - years back, Freddie was always slated and put down for any number of reasons). Personally, I think from what I know of Freddie that he would have loved the fact that the music was still out there after all this time, being brought to life - as it should be - to a new generation of fans the world over - how can any of that be negative? But, it is just not for me.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Previous

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert