Is Adams version of WWTLF better than Freddie's?

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Is Adams version of WWTLF better than Freddie's?

Postby dee87 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:59 am

https://youtu.be/jbg-uUcANYo

Love Queen, love Freddie but this is my favourite version of WWTLF. Adams sings to the Gods on this and it connects.
Everytime he sings it I'm brought somewhere different and it's just amazing.

Freddie singing Too Much Love Will Kill You effects me the same way.

Which version of WWTLF do you prefer iyo? and have any other artists covered songs better than the original? i.e Over the rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole https://g.co/kgs/5bgfmf

dee87
Spread Your Wings

Re: Is Adams version of WWTLF better than Freddie's?

Postby icy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:05 am

dee87 wrote:https://youtu.be/jbg-uUcANYo

Love Queen, love Freddie but this is my favourite version of WWTLF. Adams sings to the Gods on this and it connects.

Which version of WWTLF do you prefer iyo? and have any other artists covered songs better than the original? i.e Over the rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole https://g.co/kgs/5bgfmf

The 1986 Queen version. Love it as a Queen song, sang live during the Magic Tour and on the Highlander soundtrack.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby dee87 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:27 am

icy wrote:

The 1986 Queen version. Love it as a Queen song, sang live during the Magic Tour and on the Highlander soundtrack.

It's been one of my favourite Queen songs ever since that movie came out. Love the music video for it too.

dee87
Spread Your Wings

Postby blueviolin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:43 am

Not at all

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby solemndrummer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 am

To be fair, I think the live version has never been equal to the studio version

solemndrummer
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:53 am

I prefer Freddie every time (there is a raw emotion in his voice which I think Adam lacks); saying that, I don't think Freddie was at his best vocally during the Magic Tour and so WWTLF live is not one of my favourites.

I still think Adam does a damn good job on the song, just not my cup of tea.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby QueenUSA » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:28 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:I prefer Freddie every time (there is a raw emotion in his voice which I think Adam lacks); saying that, I don't think Freddie was at his best vocally during the Magic Tour and so WWTLF live is not one of my favourites.

I totally agree. Freddie's voice was at it's very worst on The Works and A Kind of Magic tours no question.

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:50 pm

There is no comparison, none at all. I can't listen to more than 10 seconds of Lambert before turning it off. WWTLF at Wembley on the Friday moves me to tears, it's astonishing. It's not technically perfect and there's the thing, it doesn't have to be....but that fucking emotion, Lambert will never, ever, ever, ever get anywhere near it.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby snifflese » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Everyone finds emotion in different places. Freddie's voice(for me) is no match for Adam when he sings this particular song. I think it is his best Queen song. Freddie cannot match in concert how he sounds in a recording. Adam is almost always better and for me that says a lot about what an artist is emoting to his audience. Where you find no emotion, I find nothing but emotion in Adam's voice. This gives you chills when you hear it live. Even my son who went with me this time, said this is amazing! Adam has the perfect operatic sound which Freddie just did not have. Everyone has a different opinion and everyone is entitled to it (before you start throwing things at me).

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:52 pm

snifflese wrote:Everyone finds emotion in different places. Freddie's voice(for me) is no match for Adam when he sings this particular song. I think it is his best Queen song. Freddie cannot match in concert how he sounds in a recording. Adam is almost always better and for me that says a lot about what an artist is emoting to his audience. Where you find no emotion, I find nothing but emotion in Adam's voice. This gives you chills when you hear it live. Even my son who went with me this time, said this is amazing! Adam has the perfect operatic sound which Freddie just did not have. Everyone has a different opinion and everyone is entitled to it (before you start throwing things at me).

Each to their own. That said, this is a Queen forum...so, it's not really going to go down a storm to hear Adam Lambert fans say that he's better than Freddie. I mean, to me, it's just absurd.... :?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 pm

fairydandy wrote:

There is no comparison, none at all. I can't listen to more than 10 seconds of Lambert before turning it off. WWTLF at Wembley on the Friday moves me to tears, it's astonishing. It's not technically perfect and there's the thing, it doesn't have to be....but that fucking emotion, Lambert will never, ever, ever, ever get anywhere near it.

:agreepost:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:54 am

QueenUSA wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:I prefer Freddie every time (there is a raw emotion in his voice which I think Adam lacks); saying that, I don't think Freddie was at his best vocally during the Magic Tour and so WWTLF live is not one of my favourites.

I totally agree. Freddie's voice was at it's very worst on The Works and A Kind of Magic tours no question.

Yeah, maybe years of screaming his lungs out or that horrible disease - but either way he wasn't his best vocally. But you can still hear the real emotion and soul there...and that is why we all love him so very much.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Assuming Freddie knew he was HIV+ during the Magic Tour, singing this song must have been emotionally difficult in front of the massive audiences. Could anyone else put that emotion into the song? No, not in a billion years.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:26 pm

JLP wrote:Assuming Freddie knew he was HIV+ during the Magic Tour, singing this song must have been emotionally difficult in front of the massive audiences. Could anyone else put that emotion into the song? No, not in a billion years.

Well, I think it was highly likely from all we have read that he knew he wasn't well during that tour; I mean, he obviously had to put it to the back of his mind, but, still, to sing that song - knowing full well it was highly probably he had HIV - must have taken some inner strength...

...and it certainly proves what Brian has maintained all along about Freddie: he did not want sympathy. A trooper right until the end.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby dee87 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:30 am

I go for live versions over studio versions for three of Queens songs and surprisingly they are sang by other singers

TSMGO - Elton John (This recording) https://youtu.be/LgROJoX3OYM
STL - George Michael (Tribute Concert)
WWTLF - Adam

It might be the reason why disc three in the greatest hits is my favourite.

I know TSMGO is the last song Freddie recorded so don't hate me for picking Elton. It's poignant in two ways for me, Freddie always wanted the music to live on but 'never make me boring'. The show must go on! It's emotional and Elton was singing for his friend. He never was able to perform it live. For me it has an angrier/grittier vibe than the studio version which works well with the lyrics. Freddie giving a big FU to death. The sound production and Brian Mays guitar work in this is incredible too. I always but it up to max in my car and sing along.

Secondly, George Michaels version of Somebody to Love is my favourite. It's just so special. He sang it so well and the fans joined in and it was a tribute to Freddie. If I had to put a version of this song on to a disc to listen to forever, it would be this.

Adams live version of WWTLF makes me connect to the song more so that's why I pick it. It's more operatic and theatrical which suits the song (for me) perfectly.

I'm not hating on Freddie btw. Just explaining my reasoning. I would be interested in hearing your feedback, what do ye think?

dee87
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert