Is Adams version of WWTLF better than Freddie's?

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Is Adams version of WWTLF better than Freddie's?

Postby YAFF » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 am

JLP wrote:
If he was not touring with Queen, he would have returned to the obscurity from whence he came. Outside of his fan base I doubt he would make any list of the greatest 100 male singers. Quite why his fans think it is appropriate to come on here and claim he can sing a song better than Freddie Mercury is beyond comprehension.

Spot on. Brian and Roger have given him bonus time on what would have been his fifteen minutes. In fairness, Maylor feel he is a "gift from God" since it helped them get their old asses touring again. Pity they can't seem to hear how un-Queenlike the whole thing sounds. Really, to me, it's not that different to Q + Paul Rodgers. It just doesn't sound right. If Lamberace had been the original singer I would loathe Queen as much as I do Maroon 5.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Faellie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Setting aside the merits of the various singers of WWTLF, I do prefer the current concert arrangement over either the original recorded version or the Freddie in concert version - the filmic influence has been taken out, to its advantage, I think.

I saw Adam sing WWTLF at the IOW festival in 2016 as a tribute to the victims at Pulse nightclub. He did a great job with it - it's on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc-AmpIVJWM Brian has said nice things about it.

I think Freddie's voice on the Magic tour was at its best (of the professionally recorded versions) at Budapest. Wembley not so much, sadly.

Elton's version of TSMGO has been dropped down the scale by about a third, so is a completely different beast from the original key sung by Freddie and Adam.

George Michael did do a good job with STL at the Wembley tribute. There's an interview somewhere with Roger where he talks about George being taken aback by the power of the band behind him.

Faellie
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Faellie wrote:
George Michael did do a good job with STL at the Wembley tribute. There's an interview somewhere with Roger where he talks about George being taken aback by the power of the band behind him.

George Michael - in my opinion - is still to this day the finest singer Brian and Roger have ever worked with. He absolutely nailed STL at the Freddie gig - and I am sure won over many Queen fans on the day.

I really wish they had have worked with him at some point; I know there were talks, but, alas, nothing went any further. Not only was he a beautiful, melodic singer but he also could write wonderful, timeless classics too. I don't think a collaboration would have lasted too long, but even a short tour would have done. Shame. Truly.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby fairydandy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
George Michael - in my opinion - is still to this day the finest singer Brian and Roger have ever worked with. He absolutely nailed STL at the Freddie gig - and I am sure won over many Queen fans on the day.

I really wish they had have worked with him at some point; I know there were talks, but, alas, nothing went any further. Not only was he a beautiful, melodic singer but he also could write wonderful, timeless classics too. I don't think a collaboration would have lasted too long, but even a short tour would have done. Shame. Truly.

STL at the tribute was mind-blowing. Good on record, but un-fucking-believable live. I have never heard such perfection in a singer before.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 am

musicalprostitute wrote:
Faellie wrote:

Other than Freddie I presume?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:15 pm

fairydandy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:

STL at the tribute was mind-blowing. Good on record, but un-fucking-believable live. I have never heard such perfection in a singer before.

I never got the chance to attend (the tickets sold out so quick...and I was skint broke at the time); but I can still vividly recall watching the whole thing on BBC2 on that Easter Monday - I wept like a fucking baby. George nailed it completely. For me, it was him and Extreme (I found their set - and what they said - respectful, real and passionate).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm

JLP wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
Faellie wrote:

Of course. Freddie was - and always will be - on a different level to me.

As a true Freddiephile (that is my new word of the day), George was the one who came as close as could be in my eyes. And the boy sang from the fucking heart, god bless him.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby QueenUSA » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:06 pm

JLP wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
Faellie wrote:

JLP...that gave me a hearty laugh! Thank you.

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 am

QueenUSA wrote:
JLP...that gave me a hearty laugh! Thank you.

I wish I was as easy to please as you.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Previous

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert