New Queen + AL album?

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: New Queen + AL album?

Postby Kes » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am

I'd just like to interject, and say that most of the best tracks Roger wrote for TCR, actually surfaced as "his own" versions on Fun On Earth, and arguably, they're just as good, if not better, than the Q+PR versions.

As others have said, Paul Rodgers at least had a bit of pedigree in the genre that Queen came from. AL's solo stuff is a bit more "mongrel" than "pedigree", unfortunately.

Good as though Brian, Roger and John were, it was Freddie that made the difference between a very good band, and being a truly great one. Freddie was a lot more than just a "singer" though, he was a brilliant writer, and could play the piano a little bit, too. The biggest strength QAL actually have, is the legacy that Freddie, Brian, Roger and John made together, and I'm about 90% sure you can't really add to that with totally "new" product NOT made by those four. That aspect was certainly painfully discovered the last time around anyway.

Have QAL actually ever played anything off TCR, just for the record?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Pingu » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:38 pm

I think they look at TCR now the way they look at their solo albums, as outside the Queen oeuvre. I know I do, though I've only heard it the once (same goes for Rog and Bri's last 2 solo efforts) it just didn't sit right musically as "Queen" anything for me. And I don't care for PR's 'pedigree', the songs were lousy and I find his own meat and two veg Raaaawk to be dull as crap, woh woh yeah. *

Same will surely go for anything QAL. Though maybe they just want something new for live, or to throw AL a bone.

I probably won't buy it. If it's a ballad it'll be saccharine with an overdone vocal. If it's rock, well AL can't sing rock without sounding like the stage musical which will put me right off. AL sings in a certain style and it's a deal breaker for me.

And yet I'm going to see them live in December. (Smashes head against the wall).

*edit, apart from the Fire and Water album and a few other Free songs which are utterly sublime. :)

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Glad you corrected that.

There's at least a dozen songs that the bloke has sung on, that are rock classics!

I never said he was "in the same league" as Freddie, but he's only a couple of tables behind.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:05 pm

@ Kes, Q+AL have never performed anything by Q+PR.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 am

Exactly my point.

QAL rely on the stuff that was made popular with Freddie, the same way Q+PR did, so what chance does any studio stuff Brian and Roger do with AL stand of having any longevity? I'd have said about as close to fuck all as it's possible to get.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby cmsdrums » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:38 pm

I recall an interview with Roger at the time of the Cosmos Rocks tour when he justified touring based on the fact that they would be 'living breathing entity' with new material to play, and that he totally would not want to be seen as 'his own tribute' act flogging a show consisting purely of past glories songwise. He's clearly had a rethink on that one....

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby sbrown » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Pingu wrote:And yet I'm going to see them live in December. (Smashes head against the wall).

You'll find that QAL live is a ton better than the recordings would have you believe. Even the Rock songs.
Having said that, the bit in Bo Rhap where Freddie sings presents a very stark comparison. I did feel a bit sorry for Adam at that point.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby sbrown » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Kes wrote:Exactly my point.

QAL rely on the stuff that was made popular with Freddie, the same way Q+PR did, so what chance does any studio stuff Brian and Roger do with AL stand of having any longevity? I'd have said about as close to fuck all as it's possible to get.

Mm, but to be fair the first QPR tour Brian and Roger had the chance to play a whole bunch of new stuff as they delved into the PR catalog. And for the second tour they were able to add some new compositions. And even a Hendrix cover. They had a lot to keep their interest in a live setting.
After a number of years with Adam now, I think it would be nice to have some new stuff to hear on tour even if the end of the tour means those songs will never be heard again. Compared to "Real Queen" that's not a failure, it's just different.
As for longevity, they managed to bring both Fred and Michael Jackson back from the dead and that's been forgotten as quickly as it arrived. I know I still play Let Me In Your Heart Again almost daily, but it's not like it's on radio and in shops.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:07 pm

cmsdrums wrote:I recall an interview with Roger at the time of the Cosmos Rocks tour when he justified touring based on the fact that they would be 'living breathing entity' with new material to play, and that he totally would not want to be seen as 'his own tribute' act flogging a show consisting purely of past glories songwise. He's clearly had a rethink on that one....

Hmm. I wonder what changed.
Well, two AL solo songs ended up added to the set list in the two recent tours, maybe testing the waters by doing that?When I was thinking/hoping for something new added to the set list, it was Queen songs, not ALs solo songs.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 pm

icy wrote:
cmsdrums wrote:I recall an interview with Roger at the time of the Cosmos Rocks tour when he justified touring based on the fact that they would be 'living breathing entity' with new material to play, and that he totally would not want to be seen as 'his own tribute' act flogging a show consisting purely of past glories songwise. He's clearly had a rethink on that one....

TCR not doing that well changed that idea, I'd guess.

Anyway, it probably wouldn't surprise anyone to hear me say this, but I'm all for the idea of a QAL album. Not cus I'm saying it would necessarily do any better than TCR....I'd just really like to hear it. :mrgreen:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Pingu wrote:*edit, apart from the Fire and Water album and a few other Free songs which are utterly sublime. :)

IMO there haven't many debut albums better than Bad Company's.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby dave4343palace » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:26 am

We don’t need new Q+AL songs to be played on the tours and we certainly don’t need abominations like Two fucking Fux... we just need some deeper cuts like Spread Your Wings and It’s Late... oh, hang on a minute... :lol:

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:01 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
icy wrote:

TCR not doing that well changed that idea, I'd guess.

Anyway, it probably wouldn't surprise anyone to hear me say this, but I'm all for the idea of a QAL album. Not cus I'm saying it would necessarily do any better than TCR....I'd just really like to hear it. :mrgreen:

If Brian and Roger wanted to do music with Adam, maybe a one off single instead of a full album under the Q+AL banner I would find more appealing.
ALs strong point isn't his songwriting, IMO.
And what I think about what about ALs solo career? Simply because he shouldn't rely on Brian and Roger so much...and vice versa too.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions