New Queen + AL album?

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

New Queen + AL album?

Postby dave4343palace » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 am

Hungarian interview with Roger:

Avete in programma un nuovo album?
Siamo andati in studio a Nashville durante il tour americano, così abbiamo iniziato a lavorare su un nuovo album, che Adam canterà. Ma c'è ancora un sacco di lavoro da fare con il materiale.

Translating to:

Do you plan a new album?
We went to the studio in Nashville during the American tour, so we started working on a new album that Adam will sing. But there is still a lot of work to do with the material.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Re: New Queen + AL album?

Postby AngelR » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 am

Hopefully something will materialise but I doubt it. Why wouldn't they try one new song during their European tour...please, in London perhaps :inlove:

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby YAFF » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 am

Please God no. I guess it's also been inevitable when the gigs didn't flop but I thought they had the wisdom and class to not try it. It's going to get ugly in Queenworld if this is a reality (rather than a misquote)
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:11 am

YAFF wrote:Please God no. I guess it's also been inevitable when the gigs didn't flop but I thought they had the wisdom and class to not try it. It's going to get ugly in Queenworld if this is a reality (rather than a misquote)

But why? It's not like it's a Queen album. Do you see Cosmos Rocks in the Queen discography? Nope. That was a QPR album. This would be a QAL album.

The only reason it would be ugly is if they called it Queen.

But if it's QAL doing new original songs (or other covers) then how is that classless and unwise? It's not. That's giving it WAY too much power and importance. When in reality it'll be 10-12 songs that some fans will like, others will hate, and honestly at the end of the day much like TCR probably be forgotten in a short amount of time.

I for one, would love to see any new output from B&R. I'd prefer to have it just be B&R or B&R with a multitude of friends from within the industry, Darkness, Foos, Muse, Slash, Elton, etc. etc. but it's still new music from B&R which is always worth a listen.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:38 am

I couldn't be less apathetic about this news if I tried. I honestly think this - if it indeed happens - is going to be the worst album they have ever made....although commercially it may well sell OK (well, better than the QPR thing).

My whole take on all this these days is: let them get on with it. If it brings happiness to others then good for them, but I feel it will be far too glitzy, tacky and Glee-style for my liking.

And it's not going to affect their legacy whatever happens. The golden era of Queen is now set in stone and nothing they do will change that. Some of us will embrace this new step; others, like myself, will simply pull out our golden era collection and lose ourselves in that magic. The world will still turn.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby YAFF » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:06 pm

soxtalon wrote:
YAFF wrote:Please God no. I guess it's also been inevitable when the gigs didn't flop but I thought they had the wisdom and class to not try it. It's going to get ugly in Queenworld if this is a reality (rather than a misquote)

But why? It's not like it's a Queen album. Do you see Cosmos Rocks in the Queen discography? Nope. That was a QPR album. This would be a QAL album.

The only reason it would be ugly is if they called it Queen.

But if it's QAL doing new original songs (or other covers) then how is that classless and unwise? It's not. That's giving it WAY too much power and importance. When in reality it'll be 10-12 songs that some fans will like, others will hate, and honestly at the end of the day much like TCR probably be forgotten in a short amount of time.

I for one, would love to see any new output from B&R. I'd prefer to have it just be B&R or B&R with a multitude of friends from within the industry, Darkness, Foos, Muse, Slash, Elton, etc. etc. but it's still new music from B&R which is always worth a listen.

Honestly I don't care as much as I pretend. It's their legacy and name to play with. No I don't see Cosmos Rocks as a Queen album. I tried to like it for what it was but the songs were just mostly dreadful. At least Paul was an actual, great rock singer. But he just didn't fit doing the theatrical or dancey Queen songs (and didn't have the range). Too bad they couldn't have come up with good, original material and stuck to the Queen songs Paul could sing in concert. It might have worked. Lamberace may have an image that seems more in line with the Queen stage thang but I'm sorry while Freddie was camp and theatrical Lambert just acts gay...and normally there's nothing wrong with that...but it is in this situation. You know what I mean. I know you do (ask fairydandy to explain). It's one thing to be theatrical and truly "glam" while still being rock n' roll (Freddie, Bowie, etc..) but sometimes it's just musical theatre. Q+AL is not all that different from the WWRY musical. Adam can't sing hard rock for shit. Sure he easily (too easily?) hits the notes and has the range to do the lighter balladry and dancey stuff (he does have unquestionable talent) but despite all the directions they went Queen still remained a rock band. With Lambert they just aren't a rock band any more than Maroon 5 are.

If they do do an album I recommend they just stick to material suited to lambert's voice instead of trying to recreate the Queen rock sound because it will never happen with Lambert. As I've said probably too many times I can't stand his voice so while new B & R compositions would be cool they hold no interest to me if sung by him. I'd be delighted if they just manned up and recorded an album sung by themselves or appropriate guests as you suggested. I figured it was only a matter of time before they recorded stuff. It actually would do well on the charts too. For me I'd have no interest even if Bob Dylan wrote the best songs of his career but were sung by a voice I hate.

To me it makes sense if they tour with a singer to use the "Queen +" moniker because it's the Queen catalog but to record new material as "Queen +" without Freddie and John is always going to offend some people who think it's a cowardly, exploitive thing to do. Whatever...I'm going to go watch Milton Keyes and weep :P
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 pm

YAFF wrote:Honestly I don't care as much as I pretend. It's their legacy and name to play with. No I don't see Cosmos Rocks as a Queen album. I tried to like it for what it was but the songs were just mostly dreadful. At least Paul was an actual, great rock singer.

Well okay, some people do take it rather seriously. If an annoucement was met from anti QALers with a ho-hum whatever, I'd get it. The "legacy ruining", "disrespectful" stuff just makes ME say whatever...it's just a bloody record. As for TCR - it's an alright record. I dig a few tracks for what they were...but it isn't a Queen record...hell it's closer to a Bad Company record with more Queenlike harmonies tbh. But it is what it is and it was new Brian and Roger so I was glad to hear it.

Q+AL is not all that different from the WWRY musical. Adam can't sing hard rock for shit. Sure he easily (too easily?) hits the notes and has the range to do the lighter balladry and dancey stuff (he does have unquestionable talent) but despite all the directions they went Queen still remained a rock band. With Lambert they just aren't a rock band any more than Maroon 5 are.

I never got the whole too gay thing. Sorry. BUT I do get the too theatrical, too WWRY musical thing. I agree he can't do hard rock. I agree QAL is much more a pop rock band. There's room for that but I completely get why people don't buy into that.

If they do do an album I recommend they just stick to material suited to lambert's voice instead of trying to recreate the Queen rock sound because it will never happen with Lambert. As I've said probably too many times I can't stand his voice so while new B & R compositions would be cool they hold no interest to me if sung by him. I'd be delighted if they just manned up and recorded an album sung by themselves or appropriate guests as you suggested. I figured it was only a matter of time before they recorded stuff. It actually would do well on the charts too. For me I'd have no interest even if Bob Dylan wrote the best songs of his career but were sung by a voice I hate.

Again I get that concept. I think we know that they will mostly stick to what works with Adam's voice - look at what Brian does for Kerry. Brian himself is not really much of a hard rocker these days especially in songwriting.

To me it makes sense if they tour with a singer to use the "Queen +" moniker because it's the Queen catalog but to record new material as "Queen +" without Freddie and John is always going to offend some people who think it's a cowardly, exploitive thing to do. Whatever...I'm going to go watch Milton Keyes and weep :P

Now you and I have had this convo before and I got you to come around on the Queen + for touring....so let me take this one step more.

If these three are touring as Queen + Adam Lambert successfully, creating a niche brand for itself, what sense would it make to change the name for an album? I get the difference being the Queen catalogue But it didn't really change anything when QPR did it. Same difference here.

I'd definitely buy the album....but I'll also come join you watching MK anyways :P

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby YAFF » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:13 pm

soxtalon wrote:Now you and I have had this convo before and I got you to come around on the Queen + for touring....so let me take this one step more.

If these three are touring as Queen + Adam Lambert successfully, creating a niche brand for itself, what sense would it make to change the name for an album? I get the difference being the Queen catalogue But it didn't really change anything when QPR did it. Same difference here.

Ah yes good point. They are an entity called Queen + Adam Lambert. Makes sense they'd capitalize on what has been an undeniable success (God knows why lol). It ain't for me and I would rather buy an extra copy of "What's Going On" in protest. But, dude, you made me feel more at ease with this whole concept. I'll drink an extra scotch in your honor tonight. Cheers.

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 pm

I can't help but wonder what Brian thinks. Just a gut feeling, but I think he would be somewhat hesitant about recording a full album. As much as Brian and Roger heap praise on AL, are they truly willing to record an album with AL?
Ghost Town and TF being performed during Q+AL shows didn't set the world on fire after all. Also, I wonder what vibe any Q+AL album would have? I can't tell if it would be better or worse if had more of a Queen vibe, or AL solo vibe.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby BitterTears » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 am

icy wrote:I can't help but wonder what Brian thinks. Just a gut feeling, but I think he would be somewhat hesitant about recording a full album

His comments in the 3D book about TCR I thought were quite stark and realistic. Pretty sure he knows there is no (relative) demand out there for a QAL album. At the same time, I'm sure there is an urge to record together since they apparently all get on so well and Bri and Rog obviously hold Adam in high regard amd recording music is what they do. But still, the time and effort required to record a full album for likely little critical or commercial success...I'm not convinced. And all three of them have their own creative musical outlets without the baggage (for want of a better word) of putting out an album with 'Queen' somewhere on the cover.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Echoplex » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:41 pm

I have a feeling that this has been on the cards for a while. I think that they will probably spend time recording when their schedules allow and take stock along the way. If they all feel like they've got something that sounds like it could become an album then they will press ahead.

The Cosmos Rocks missed a recognisable Queen sound and some of the material was questionable. I'm not sure Brian was in the right place at the time with his doctorate work happening at the same time.also Paul Rodgers was more at home doing what he does. What really took me by surprise was the pedestrian song writing, on most of it, and boring production.

Lambert my just be the person who injects some excitement into what they record this time. I also believe they need to step out of the comfort zone of working with their "in house" team. Most bands that have a long history but have made really good recent albums have done so by challenging themselves with the introduction of people who will question and push rather than sit there saying that's really good Brian!

As for musical direction, back in the day we could never ever predict what the next album would sound like or the direction it would take. So if this album does get made, let's wait before we pass judgment.

The last Van Halen album was a real surprise, granted it had the original vocalist back behind the mic, but it also had so much of what Van Halen used to be musically. Some of that material came from unused riffs and song ideas from the late 70's early 80's. Who's to say that Brian and Roger couldn't pull something similar out the bag.

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Oh good, they a making an album, that's great news, just what we need. Yippee.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby dave4343palace » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Rather than making an album for the sake of making an album, what I am really hoping for is that Brian or Roger have come up with a 'killer song' that they consider too good not to record. Like when Roger heard the No One But You demo and knew they had to make something of it.

For example, if Q+PR had just recorded Small because Roger had come up with a great song while they were touring, I doubt anyone would've objected. As a novelty, it might have even got more airplay and interest.

Of course, any new song needs to be something that absolutely suits Lambert's voice too. Although some looney on another thread on here said that Lambert sings Who Wants To Live Forever better than Freddie, there is no doubt in my mind that that particular song very much DOES suit his voice.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 am

It's great news! We get to hear more songs like Two Fux and We Believe. If we're really lucky we might get another classic like Time To Shine...and who knows, even a really fairly priced cardboard box set at £100.

Freddie would be so proud of them. :)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Jimi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 am

oh just don't bother.
Nobody cares.
it will be unremarkable, below average and mildly embarrassing.
It will be panned by the critics and the legacy will be further tarnished by association.
And god forbid there was another tour of diminishing returns - we would have to suffer at least FOUR tracks from it.

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert