01/11/2017 - O2 Arena, Prague

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: 01/11/2017 - O2 Arena, Prague

Postby JLP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm

AngelR wrote:
JLP wrote:
AngelR wrote:A very save set list...Would love to see SYW and It's late and All Dead All Dead. I hope they will step it up before "my show" in December. :)

What's a big deal with Adam's messing up some words? It's a one off mistake. Would be highly unprofessional to stop singing and to restart. After performing BR for so many years he does know the lyrics, surely.

Sorry but when people are shelling out decent money to see these gigs, they deserve the very best. I would not have an issue with him forgetting the words of one of the lesser songs. But to forget the lyrics to one of the most famous songs of all time is just unprofessional.

Usually people are getting the very best - not as if Adam's reading the lyrics from the auto cue like Paul Rodgers did. I don't listen to the streams or watch any videos before Dec the 12th, so can't comment how bad it was.
My concern (and I am the one who shelled out decent money to see this gig) is the set list. :(

They have played safe for years, including the PR shows. There were so many songs more suited to his voice, It's Late being a prime example, that they could have done but chose not to.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby AngelR » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm

parchedpeas wrote:
AngelR wrote:What's a big deal with Adam's messing up some words? It's a one off mistake. Would be highly unprofessional to stop singing and to restart. After performing BR for so many years he does know the lyrics, surely.

Nothing wrong with an isolated mistake, but the whole show felt un-rehearsed, like a dress rehearsal really. Adam running walking back down the catwalk with his back to the audience during the 'all we hear is ... clap clap ... radio ga ga' bit was another odd thing.

It's nit-picking, I know, but if you're going to bring me the same tour I've already seen (despite pre-selling it as a NOTW tribute with 'surprises') then at least polish it to a fine art. This felt lazy. I'm sure it'll get better as a performance, but there is little reason for me to rush to London to watch at the moment.

Have you been there? The social media response is overwhelmingly positive.
I'm getting really upset about the lack of the promised 'surprises' as well.

AngelR
We Will Rock You

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Really pleased i decided against going to this set of shows. I can accept errors...we all make them and the first few shows are always a little more difficult and guess they will all be in their stride after 3 or 4 shows.

However that 'stride' is now a plodding, stale set-list 'stride' that i am sure they could all play in their sleep without too much difficulty.

Brian will no doubt argue that 'the hits' have to be played for first time attendees and i agree a certain amount of the songs do have to remain. However i am of the opinion that these are chosen as the easy way of getting through a 2 hour show with the least mistakes. The days of taking risks, trying different songs are now long gone.

The thing that still really gets me is the whole show was sold on the basis it would celebrate NOTW 40th year yet they seem to have forgot to include any actual music ( normal songs excluded ) from NOTW, which is a real shame.

I would really be interested in hearing their logic and reason behind this decision. Personally i would prefer it that they be honest and say 'look we are in our 70's and if you want to come and see us this is what we are going to play songs that don't take too much practice and our biggest hits for people coming to see us for the first time either come and enjoy for what it is or stay at home '

This would be preferable over the hype that this tour originally came with, along with Brian quoting to this as a risky set...???.....really..??? I do wonder what Roger's take on all this really is as i get the impression that Brian may be the driving force behind this set list ( along with guitar shaped extended stage )

I really hope the people attending enjoy the shows and get treated to something different over the next month.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby Action This Day » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:14 pm

There are several songs that Q+AL have performed before that I was hoping to hear on this tour, but I'm thinking now there's little hope:

Keep Yourself Alive
Seven Seas of Rhye
Now I'm Here
In The Lap of the Gods (Revisited)
Spread Your Wings
It's Late
Play the Game
Dragon Attack
Save Me
The Hero
One Vision
The Show Must Go On

I'm still going to the Belfast show but more in hope than expectation.

The problem is the same as when they were still touring with Freddie: Queen have so many great songs that it's impossible to play even half of them at one gig. Although they still have time for Freddie's 'day-o', the guitar solo and crap like GDML and whatever AL song they're doing.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:08 pm

The whole show seemed very lacking, IMO. Almost as if much thought or effort wasn't put into it. I don't know why they don't bother with more rehearsal time. The lack of rehearsals is showing.
Queen songs and fans who go to the shows deserve the best, yesterday was far from it. I'd go as far as to say it was the worst I've seen and heard from Q+AL.
I can't help but be disappointed and a bit taken aback that was Bohemian Rhapsody with the mistake. Well, that covers up the flub and swearing when something went wrong with the bike.
Yes, AL is human. But this isn't his first show, singing BR, so a little more effort, time is needed IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby pow wow » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:08 pm

I’d love to hear White Queen again. If Brian got anywhere near the middle part from the Rainbow versions I’d go home happy. As it is I’m looking forward to the Liverpool gig but not as much as I should be.

They’re nearing the end of their touring days now, surely to god it’s worth a solid week of rehearsal to polish a few numbers they haven’t done for decades rather than the same old hits. They MUST be bored by now! I suppose with age they’ve become set in their ways. I sometimes think these tours are a contractual obligation rather than a creative decision.

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby Chrisallstar » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 pm

The set list is utter crap. So boring. Brian has the nerve to call it risky too!

It’s obvious that the prima Donna Lambert can’t be arsed to learn any new songs from Queen’s catalogue. It’s probably why they dropped IL and SYW as he couldn’t get the hang of them.

The tragedy is that there are so many great Queen songs never performed live such as “Innuendo”, “breakthru”, “headlong” etc and it looks like Brian and Roger aren’t interested in trying something new and happy to cash in on people by playing a greatest hits set yet again!

Chrisallstar
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert