02/11/2017 - Olympiahalle, Munich

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: 02/11/2017 - Olympiahalle, Munich

Postby parchedpeas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Zak Royen wrote:I've read several knowledgeable fans state that Freddie, too, had scripted lines that he would repeat night after night. I don't know if it's true -- to the same extent as it is with Adam.

His 'shitty guitar' joke lasted seven or eight years at least.

But I agree about the sincerity of the show now: from the 'mashing the keyboard' thing first time around, to the 'whaddya think of the new MAN!!' bit last time, it's not something you can really get away with in the age of youtube and live streaming: people know the set list and the jokes before they get there.

At least they try, I suppose. Some bands just play the songs and say nothing at all.

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I agree that QAL could be more spontaneous on stage.
Adam, coming from musical theater and being someone who is a perfectionist loves to plan his performances from staging to costumes, singing and I guess also many moves. He did that since he was a kid in a musical group. Even at his own concerts he‘s not known for spontaneity. If he really lets loose it’s in the encore, and to see that is a treatfor the fans! He still needs to learn (in my opinion) to show that natural side more and that fans love his performance even (more?) when it’s not perfect. With QAL he seems even more concerned to get it right. He’s singing to a very critical audience and to stand in Freddie’s shoes isn’t easy, you know? ;)

But he actually gets bored easily and changes his setlists more often than QAL. Just saying, that I wouldn’t blame Adam for the barely changing setlist.(nobody here did, but I just wanted to say that.)

As for Brian: I have the impression that his happiness on stage does show and is real. Here is a pic from one of the last gigs.
Attachments
B513220F-7D9D-4F1B-8427-32DA3FB7C5F4.jpeg

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

Postby parchedpeas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 pm

No-one would blame Adam for the set list! If anything, it's because they HAVE Adam that it seems such a strange decision to limit the songs to the ones they've played before - the usual suspects. With Paul Rodgers, easy to understand, sing the rock stuff. But with Adam who can smash the notes out with little or no-effort, it just seems odd - or lazy - that they dont shake things up a bit.

I can't imagine there will be another tour. If there is, I suspect they will tour with some new material, which means there would be even less chance to play the deeper cuts. This was the tour that could have tried a bit harder and instead it seems to have retreated to a safe space. I do understand why, but it just doesn't interest me as a fan. It's not that it's not a good show - it is - it's just that it's nothing new and, after seeing Q+PR in Liverpool, and Q+AL in Manchester (amazing!) it's pretty hard want to see it all over again, plus Get Down Make Love (basically another boring guitar solo).

It's Late, SYW - heck, how hard would an acoustic guitar version of My Melancholy Blues have been? - something NEW! That's all we asked for!

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby vfldotl » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:20 pm

I really don't know what you guys are talking about.

Yeah, nearly everything they do on stage is planned, but who can blame them? Queen was always a band of pure perfection and they just want to keep that, even in their old age. I mean: We are hardcore-fans who are following them at all channels such as Youtube, Twitter aso. but a normal concert visitor isn't doing this kind of stuff. I was talking to so many people in Budapest and they all told me, that they want to see those legends live and they also want so see the hits. Yes, we as hardcore fans who are attending every concert, know every single part of the gig, especially because the band isn't changing a lot of the setlist. I'm quite disappointed too, because the catalogue is so much bigger than the 1000x rendition of Another One Bites The Dust.

What are they supposed to do? Change the whole show because some of us are seeing them twice or more time a tour? To be fair: I think it's okay how they're doing it right now.

Earlier this year I saw Sting live in Germany. Nice little gig but absolutely not comparable to queen at all. Weak show and also weak interaction although he was in great shape that night.

I just want so state: Let them make their thing because we won't change them anyways. It's simply too late to expect some innovative setlists or spontanous concerts (and theyhave never been sponatneous at gigs)...

vfldotl
Spread Your Wings

Postby Khashoggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 pm

Zak Royen wrote:I've read several knowledgeable fans state that Freddie, too, had scripted lines that he would repeat night after night. I don't know if it's true -- to the same extent as it is with Adam.

I guess every artist has some bits and pieces that get repeated at the shows, Freddie sure had them too. But after hearing so many Queen bootlegs and dvds and videos I know that Freddie gave his audiences something special each time, that he changed his moods each time.. He was just a complete natural performer, and didn't see a concert like a broadway production and didn't need to say exactly the same things in the exact same way every bloody night.
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, Rhein Energie Stadium (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, TUI-Arena (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, Lanxess Arena (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, Rhein Energie Stadium (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, Olympiahalle (Munich)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby Khashoggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 pm

There's one point I forgot to mention in my concert review here..
Seriously.. How terrible are Tyler Warren's backing vocals? It's been ridiculous. Especially his high voice in "I'm In Love With My Car". In other songs, too. It was a complete joke to hear that! :shock:
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, Rhein Energie Stadium (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, TUI-Arena (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, Lanxess Arena (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, Rhein Energie Stadium (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, Olympiahalle (Munich)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby Echoplex » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Khashoggi wrote:There's one point I forgot to mention in my concert review here..
Seriously.. How terrible are Tyler Warren's backing vocals? It's been ridiculous. Especially his high voice in "I'm In Love With My Car". In other songs, too. It was a complete joke to hear that! :shock:

Not as bad as the setlist and lack of NOTW material. What was it Brian, Roger and Adam said when the tour was announced. . . . . .

Oh yeah I remember. .

Its 40 years since News Of The World so the setlist will reflect that. . .

We have to play the hits but we're also going to dig a bit deeper this time. . .

And Brian last year said that the next tour ( this one ) will be very different. . .

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert