QAL Tour in New Zealand/Australia

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: QAL Tour in New Zealand/Australia

Postby icy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:47 am

The Milkman wrote:
icy wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:I love Brian and Adam giving their „well rehearsed“ introduction to „Somebody to love“. Here is the newest version from Auckland. I know, some here find it cheesy. I love it. It’s 2 minutes of fun to me and from the chuckles of the guy filming (or one of his neighbors), I‘m not alone:
http://youtu.be/_05hi9M6PwQ
(Introduction and STL from Auckland)

Yup, it gets even more cheesy as time goes on :o

I watched 1:34 of that shit and had to turn it off. 100% garbage and pretty damn sad IMHO. John Deacon needs to voice his opinion because I want to know if he feels like a lot of us do about this Broadway version of his band. I don't blame him for not wanting to talk to Brian and Roger anymore.

It's bad, IMO. To me it proves how lack lusture the banter really is. Ugh.
Don't know how John feels, but I wish he could give one last interview or an article about so many things, but I doubt it'll ever happen.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:42 am

The Milkman wrote:

I watched 1:34 of that shit and had to turn it off. 100% garbage and pretty damn sad IMHO. John Deacon needs to voice his opinion because I want to know if he feels like a lot of us do about this Broadway version of his band. I don't blame him for not wanting to talk to Brian and Roger anymore.

You know what stuck out for me in your paragraph above? And what seems to sum up how I feel about this kind of Glee-style performance? The fact that it is 'pretty damn sad'. Forget all the opposing voices regarding Adam fronting the band, etc. The fact is, strip eveything away and the remnants of Queen have been reduced to this inane nonsense - and I am not blaming Adam for this (Brian and Roger really should know better).

This has nothing to do with liking or disliking Adam. It has everything to do with watching a band with an untouchable live reputation becoming the least dangerous live band on the planet. Yes, they can still belt out those tunes; yes, they are happy and enjoying themselves; yes, Adam has a mean set of pipes on him...but now it is all glitter and gold and not a drop of sweat or soul.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby icy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
The Milkman wrote:

You know what stuck out for me in your paragraph above? And what seems to sum up how I feel about this kind of Glee-style performance? The fact that it is 'pretty damn sad'. Forget all the opposing voices regarding Adam fronting the band, etc. The fact is, strip eveything away and the remnants of Queen have been reduced to this inane nonsense - and I am not blaming Adam for this (Brian and Roger really should know better).

This has nothing to do with liking or disliking Adam. It has everything to do with watching a band with an untouchable live reputation becoming the least dangerous live band on the planet. Yes, they can still belt out those tunes; yes, they are happy and enjoying themselves; yes, Adam has a mean set of pipes on him...but now it is all glitter and gold and not a drop of sweat or soul.

To think Brian once again hyped these shows up once again as 'dangerous' when it's not. Pretty much the same as the last tour. I don't know why he says that, and why he keeps saying it's dangerous...not fooling anyone.
It's gimmicky. Yea, Queen had gimmicks too, but at least then the music went hand in hand with great live shows, albums, videos, Q+AL relies too much on gimmicks for it to ever be all about the music for me. For example, the banter with STL...that's taking the piss out of it. I wish that was dropped, because the banter comes across as silly, and STL is not a silly song.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby CNB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Same old same old — negative comments from the people who have never experienced a live show.

When you sit in a VIP section on the stage you can see Adam, Spike and Nick up close and personal on that side of the stage, but you miss good views of Brian, Roger and Tyler. Roger is being filmed and constantly shown on the big circular screen above the stage but you can’t see him like the rest of the audience does.

This is anything BUT a show like Glee. You cannot see, feel, hear the whole experience from an audio stream, periscope, or amateur video. When you are there experiencing that powerful, timeless music and the beautiful lighting, it envelops you and draws you in.

Anyone who still has the opportunity to experience this magnificent beauty, should go, and then if you still don’t like it come back here with your “expert” observations and condemnations! I bet you would be raving about it like I do!

http://m.facebook.com/qudosbankarena/po ... 5903632340
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 pm

CNB wrote:Same old same old — negative comments from the people who have never experienced a live show

Queen died a long time ago in my mind sweetie. If you love this new shit Brian and Roger are doing that's great. They've been making a fool out of the Queen name for quite some time IMHO. I don't have to waste any money going to a show to know what I would think about it. I can't even stand to watch the videos and I haven't since the first tour with AL. Still haven't seen Adam sing Save Me even though I know he could do a great job with it.

Here is a good review for one of these concerts but it tells all I need to know . THIS IS NOT FOR ME!

"Lambert’s vocal style is closer to a Broadway performer’s than to Mercury’s full-range, baritone, rock ’n’ roll force of nature, but Lambert’s clear voice can hit any note and hold it longer than almost anyone you’ve ever heard, making him a good fit for a band known for hopping all over the genre map."

You know you would hate Sam Smith live and you make comments about that all the time. Why should it be any different for me with Q+AL? Oh, because it's your little fantasy boy up on that stage. Seek help!
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:56 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
TheHero wrote:Another question; I see the top tickets are called The Ulitmate VIP On-stage Experience.

What exactly does that mean? Do you get to meet the band on stage before, during or after the concert ?

Not that I can afford it, I am just curious because they are
12 times more expensive than the cheapest tickets, so it must be something special included, apart from being also Golden Circle. They also cost 6 times more than a standard Golden Circle ticket.

I had "The Ultimative VIP-Onstage Experience". I was offered it in Prague, after I apparently was one of the first to buy a ticket in the fan-presale. I thought a long time about it, because: yes, it is very expensive.But it Prague it was less than half of what these tickets cost in the UK or the USA. So I went for it and changed my normal ticket to that special one.

What you get before the show:
- a backstage tour by an experienced crew-member (Andy, the guy with the chaiselong) :cool: . You get to see the corridors behind the stage with hundredth of boxes (in all sizes for everything they take with them), the "light and video-departement" in the middle of the standing area and the stage. And you can ask as many questions about the show as you want.The more you ask, the more interesting it is.
- a folding seat on a little side-stage, right behind Spike's keyboard (which none of us ever used :lol: ).
- some special VIP-merchandise (or whatever the promoter at your venue has in store, that differs)
-to talk to your co-fans, who are as exited as you :cheers:

What you don't get before the show:
- You don't meet the band. Though sometimes people get lucky: When Brian feels like it, he comes out of his room and greets the VIP's. Then you'll get a hug, a photo, an autograph and a few minutes to talk to him. But that's NOT guaranteed and doesn't happen that often. I wasn't lucky :-( . I've never heard of Roger or Adam coming out of their rooms to meet the VIP's

During the show:
You have a very special experience, because you can see and hear the same as the band. Spike is directly in front of you. I was literally leaning on the stage almost for the whole concert, because the stage is about 1 meter higher than our little stage was.
But is it a great seat?
That depends on what you want. As I said: You experience the show from "behind". You see the band only from the side or from behind. But VERY close.
You can't see the big round screen. Meaning, you also can't see Frank smashing the wall in the beginning. BUT you see the band coming on stage, taking their positions, getting ready. The same goes during Brian's solo, when that screen is down again: You can't see all the projections. You can see, how Brian is secured on his little lift. How he is standing up there, playing his guitar. And what happens on stage. But you never see, what the rest of the audience sees (and they can't see, what you see either). On the other hand, you see the audience-reactions, all the faces, emotions and hands clapping.
So, it is a very unique experience.

The only thing, that I really hated, was the position of Spike's keyboard directly in front of us. Since our stage was much lower, we were not able to look over it. Standing in the middle of our stage, we could only see the keyboard and Spike (his knees were about the height of my head). That means, you can only stand on the right handsight beside it (from there you can see Adam, Brian and Neil). Or on the left handsight beside it with a good view of Tyler and his percussions and a not so great view of Roger and his drumkit (actually Roger can barely be seen behind it at all.) You can never see all of them. And the spot to see Brian and Adam isn't wide enough, so that only about 4 people can stand there. And when Adam moves around and is in the middle of the main stage, (AKA behind the keyboard), he can't be seen from our point at all. So it also depends on your co-VIP's and that you swap places.
Since we were only 8 people (and I believe, it can be only up to 12, not more), you have more than enough room to walk around that little stage though. It's almost as long as the big stage deep. Directly behind us was Neil's bass-tech. He gave me one of Brian's picks, that he uses for the acoustic guitar.

So it's a completely different experience. If you want a great seat with a great view of the show, then it's definitely the wrong seat for you. :lol: From this aspect, I would even say, they are some of the worst seats (although the sound was absolutely great!!)

In the end, you must either be a huuuge fan, who wants to come close to the band (but be aware, they will almost ignore you) or someone, who is really interested in how all the technical things and the band in itself are working together.
You may meet Brian backstage, you may get a solo from Brian smiling at you, (Hey, he was posing less than one meter in front of us !(YES,there I got lucky.). You may get some High Fives by the supporting musicians (Tyler, Neil). And you'll have fun with Neil, who often came over. But all these things are not guaranteed, and some of these you can also experience, while standing in the front row.

Here are two links to some pictures I took during the concert.
http://twitter.com/nimili79/status/927253094714544128
http://twitter.com/nimili79/status/925866219420479499
http://twitter.com/nimili79/status/925857123866734592

One last thing: I would only recommend it, when you have another chance to see the show from the front, because from behind, you`re really missing a lot!

Since someone moaned, that there were not enough pictures of Roger: Here are a few more, that show the stage and what you can see from these seats. In the second pic you have a great view of the drum-departement. Roger was playing for all I know. :lol:
http://twitter.com/nimili79/status/966006616578543616

Hey, I had a great night!!

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:01 pm

I don’t like Sam’s garbled voice and poor diction but I read recently that he battles a lisp which I didn’t know about previously. Maybe I’ve been too hard on him but I really do not like his voice. I doubt a live performance would change that.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:16 pm

CNB wrote:I don’t like Sam’s garbled voice and poor diction but I read recently that he battles a lisp which I didn’t know about previously. Maybe I’ve been too hard on him but I really do not like his voice. I doubt a live performance would change that.

Hey, that's fine. You don't have to explain to me why you don't like him. I don't like Adam's voice and a live performance wouldn't change that. Technically Adam has a great voice but it's just not for me.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby dave4343palace » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:29 pm

CNB wrote:Same old same old — negative comments from the people who have never experienced a live show.

When you sit in a VIP section on the stage you can see Adam, Spike and Nick up close and personal on that side of the stage, but you miss good views of Brian, Roger and Tyler. Roger is being filmed and constantly shown on the big circular screen above the stage but you can’t see him like the rest of the audience does.

This is anything BUT a show like Glee. You cannot see, feel, hear the whole experience from an audio stream, periscope, or amateur video. When you are there experiencing that powerful, timeless music and the beautiful lighting, it envelops you and draws you in.

Anyone who still has the opportunity to experience this magnificent beauty, should go, and then if you still don’t like it come back here with your “expert” observations and condemnations! I bet you would be raving about it like I do!

http://m.facebook.com/qudosbankarena/po ... 5903632340

Stop trying to brainwash people - I have seen many more shows than you and from all angles of many arenas, and agree with Icy and Musical Prostitute about the nonsense before STL. Along with Killer Queen and Bicycle Race, Lambert's antics piss all over three of Freddie's great compositions. Wish they would just stick to the fucking music!

And who is this 'Nick' from your favourite band? If you're referring to Neil Fairclough, is he the bloke that fills in for Jeremy Deacon?

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Oh dear sorry about that. Can’t believe I called Neil, Nick! Do you have a sense of humor? They are entertaining the audience as well as playing and singing! Freddie would love it because he had to be more careful back in the day! No one is denigrating (pissing on) the music!

Have you ever watched Queen’s music videos? What QAL does on stage is MILD compared to those!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby dave4343palace » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:08 pm

CNB wrote:Oh dear sorry about that. Can’t believe I called Neil, Nick! Do you have a sense of humor? They are entertaining the audience as well as playing and singing! Freddie would love it because he had to be more careful back in the day! No one is denigrating (pissing on) the music!

Have you ever watched Queen’s music videos?

Yes, I went to great lengths over the years to watch Queen videos as they were released. Some I like much more than others, but they all had a common factor (except NOBY)... THEY HAD FREDDIE MERCURY IN THEM!!! And even in a TV studio situation, that entailed the spontaneous, impromptu, born-to-entertain Freddie Mercury behaving in a less rehearsed manner than Lambert sprouting exactly the same bollocks word-for-word show-after-show (as he can't write music on his own, do we assume he had help writing such 'speeches'?).

In its many different facets, a lot of Queen music appeals exactly to my sense of humour, which I agree is a million miles from finding Lambert remotely funny.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
Since someone moaned, that there were not enough pictures of Roger: Here are a few more, that show the stage and what you can see from these seats. In the second pic you have a great view of the drum-departement. Roger was playing for all I know. :lol:

Since I moaned I was expecting at least one pic of Roger. :lol:

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby cmsdrums » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Two facts - that routine before STL is awful and just unnecessary...and Tyler Warren has got a better (nicer all round sounding) singing voice than Lambert!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:45 pm

The Milkman wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:

And I showed you, what I was able to see of Roger for most of the concert:
About nothing :-( . I do really like him, so that I didn’t post a picture of him had nothing to do with me liking Adam more. I only have 2 pictures with Roger from that night, that I took, while the band was on the B-stage. You can only see his head from the back, because he‘s sitting again with monitor-boxes behind him.
And besides: I took „only“ about 40 pics and two very short videos as memories. Mostly I was just enjoying the show from this unique perspective. (And maybe you can see Roger, when you stand at the very back of the VIP-stage. I don’t really remember that. Maybe a Roger-Fan, who experienced these seats, can answer that.)

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
The Milkman wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:

And I showed you, what I was able to see of Roger for most of the concert:
About nothing :-( . I do really like him, so that I didn’t post a picture of him had nothing to do with me liking Adam more. I only have 2 pictures with Roger from that night, that I took, while the band was on the B-stage. You can only see his head from the back, because he‘s sitting again with monitor-boxes behind him.
And besides: I took „only“ about 40 pics and two very short videos as memories. Mostly I was just enjoying the show from this unique perspective. (And maybe you can see Roger, when you stand at the very back of the VIP-stage. I don’t really remember that. Maybe a Roger-Fan, who experienced these seats, can answer that.)

I know what you mean. I sat on the side of the stage for Fleetwood Mac once and could only see John McVie and Stevie. Not a great experience IMO but some people might get wet from being that close to their idols.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert