QAL Tour in New Zealand/Australia

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: QAL Tour in New Zealand/Australia

Postby parchedpeas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Queen are ridiculous. They've ALWAYS been ridiculous. This is the band that did I Want To Break Free. This is the band that did Body Language. Rewriting them as a Led Zep or The Who because you've only just realised how camp they are is a bit daft.

They ARE theatre because they've ALWAYS been theatre.

parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm

parchedpeas wrote:Queen are ridiculous. They've ALWAYS been ridiculous. This is the band that did I Want To Break Free. This is the band that did Body Language. Rewriting them as a Led Zep or The Who because you've only just realised how camp they are is a bit daft.

Christ, I would never try and rewrite Queen as Led Zep or The Who - they are miles better than those two bands (I love The Who, btw).

And, yes, many of us have always acknowledged the humour and theatrical antics that have always been elements of our band from day one...

...but the relevant word here is 'elements': the theatrics, the tongue-in-cheek attitude, etc. are just elements of the band; thing is, they had the talent, musicianship, vision and raw passion to go with all the fun too - that is what makes them special and untouchable.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby CNB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:22 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
parchedpeas wrote:Queen are ridiculous. They've ALWAYS been ridiculous. This is the band that did I Want To Break Free. This is the band that did Body Language. Rewriting them as a Led Zep or The Who because you've only just realised how camp they are is a bit daft.

Christ, I would never try and rewrite Queen as Led Zep or The Who - they are miles better than those two bands (I love The Who, btw).

And, yes, many of us have always acknowledged the humour and theatrical antics that have always been elements of our band from day one...

...but the relevant word here is 'elements': the theatrics, the tongue-in-cheek attitude, etc. are just elements of the band; thing is, they had the talent, musicianship, vision and raw passion to go with all the fun too - that is what makes them special and untouchable.

As others have confirmed, the theatrics and tongue-in-cheek attitude are also only elements of the full 2-1/2 hour QAL shows!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Queen were humrous. Queen were pretty much orginal. Q+AL, not so much.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby snifflese » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:57 pm

So MP, You mention musicianship, talent, vision and raw passion as part of Queen. Brian and Roger are still part of the band, so somehow they have lost their musicianship, talent, vision and raw passion since they are no longer with Freddie and John? That is an interesting and pretty harsh statement. Is it just because they haven't written any music or what? I think questioning their musicianship is the worst as they are pretty darn good and nobody else seems to be questioning that. The reviews always say that they haven't lost a step, esp. Brian. I have been to a large number of heavy metal and rock concerts and to me their playing matches anything I have heard in the past.

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby CNB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 pm

You mean original like singing Killer Queen on a chaise lounge and blinking robot head and singing Bicycle Race on a flowery tricycle while pedaling it in 6-inch heels? :)
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:23 pm

CNB wrote:You mean original like singing Killer Queen on a chaise lounge and blinking robot head and singing Bicycle Race on a flowery tricycle while pedaling it in 6-inch heels? :)

It looks like that's been taken right from Broadway shows. Or cheap Vegas shows. Not very orginal at all, IMO :)
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby CNB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:29 pm

When I watched Miss Saigon and Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables, they were not performing Queen music!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:34 pm

CNB wrote:When I watched Miss Saigon and Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables, they were not performing Queen music!

Gee, I would hope not :lol: :P
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:52 pm

And Freddie’s outfits were never theatre-inspired. ;) And riding on Darth Vader‘s shoulders is less theatrical than sitting on Frank‘s head. I believe, that Freddie would really have fun, watching the latest QAL-show. :cheers:

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:04 pm

icy wrote:
AngelR wrote:

Why do you keep seeing them live?
My favourite song from the 2015 tour was Somebody To Love, I thought it was exquisite :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian and Roger maybe is the reason for Dave going to see the shows? :idea:

There's multiple reasons that keep me going but you're right, its mainly because I get to see two of my heroes performing my favourite music live. As I've said before, I also like AL's voice on many of the songs when he sticks to what I consider he does best (sing) and not act like a total dickhead (a totally unnatural, forced dickhead at that). But I can totally understand why many Queen fans don't like his voice (I much preferred Q+PR, each to their own).

What really pisses me off is when hypocritical loonies on this board who know next to nothing about Queen infer to others that they should like AL, they need to go to a show blah blah fucking blah day after day after day, ruining almost every Queen + Adam Lambert thread for those of us that are interested in the collaboration but can be objective too (and have bothered to go to more than three of 100+ concerts and don't falsely pretend to be some sort of super fan).

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Nicki79 wrote:And Freddie’s outfits were never theatre-inspired. ;) And riding on Darth Vader‘s shoulders is less theatrical than sitting on Frank‘s head. I believe, that Freddie would really have fun, watching the latest QAL-show. :cheers:

Freddie was spontaneous, natural and a total enigma. AL is none of those.

Freddie may well have had fun watching the show once, but IMO he'd be dumbfounded at exactly the same script and 'jokes' night after night at a 'Queen' show.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:33 pm

dave4343palace wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:And Freddie’s outfits were never theatre-inspired. ;) And riding on Darth Vader‘s shoulders is less theatrical than sitting on Frank‘s head. I believe, that Freddie would really have fun, watching the latest QAL-show. :cheers:

Freddie may well have had fun watching the show once, but IMO he'd be dumbfounded at exactly the same script and 'jokes' night after night at a 'Queen' show.

Most people only see one show.
By the way: Did you happen to attend several shows of one tour with Freddie? Because I read, that they very scripted as well and that the jokes very always the same.
Actually, I don’t really believe, that Roger and Brian work differently now than they did in the old days. I mean, when they started to plan a tour with Adam, it would have been them, who presented the overall plan - with Adam adding his ideas.
The differences are the two frontmen, who are IMO as different as they are similar. While I don’t think, that Adam and Freddie are different, when it comes to their love of theatrics, I do think, that their execution of it is different. I think one result is, that Adam’s fans are in the majority women, while Freddie’s fans were more men (at least that’s my impression).
Plus we live in a completely different time now. We have no idea, what Freddie would be doing on stage in these times.

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
dave4343palace wrote:

Most people only see one show.
By the way: Did you happen to attend several shows of one tour with Freddie? Because I read, that they very scripted as well and that the jokes very always the same.
Actually, I don’t really believe, that Roger and Brian work differently now than they did in the old days. I mean, when they started to plan a tour with Adam, it would have been them, who presented the overall plan - with Adam adding his ideas.
The differences are the two frontmen, who are IMO as different as they are similar. While I don’t think, that Adam and Freddie are different, when it comes to their love of theatrics, I do think, that their execution of it is different. I think one result is, that Adam’s fans are in the majority women, while Freddie’s fans were more men (at least that’s my impression).
Plus we live in a completely different time now. We have no idea, what Freddie would be doing on stage in these times.

No, I didn't but there is more than enough footage of individual tours to show that Freddie's performances were absolutely spontaneous in comparison to AL. Incomparable.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:08 pm

dave4343palace wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:Most people only see one show.

No, I didn't but there is more than enough footage of individual tours to show that Freddie's performances were absolutely spontaneous in comparison to AL. Incomparable.

OK. But excuse me, when I will believe my dad‘s friend, who saw several shows with Freddie in the 80s. He said, they were scripted and the jokes always the same. (But maybe he was unlucky with the shows he attended ;-) ).

I can agree with you though, that Freddie and Adam come across very differently, when they perform(ed).

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert