Japan 2014 release

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Japan 2014 release

Postby eiricd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:44 pm

CNB wrote:
eiricd wrote:I urge lambert fans to read/reply to my previous post.
annoying when you take a few minutes of precious time to make valid points, and the glamberts ignore it.

he is a copy cat. and imo he has a VERY limited amount of liberty of what he can and cannot do as a hired gun.

I just read ALL of your previous posts in this thread and your point is what? That you liked QPR better because he is an original and wasn’t copying Freddie?

I think B & R like Adam interpreting their music because he IS more theatrical and more like Freddie! Paul has a raspy rock voice, but Adam’s range is more flexible. He sings everything, pop, rock, reggae, R&B, disco, blues, country, etc.

Yes I prefer QPR for many reason, but that's the point here.

regardless of what I may think of lamber's vocals - he comes across copy cat. that was one of my points. it's very simple; if there's a guy on stage singing lead vocals for most of the show, and it says "Queen" on the ticket, and the same guy comes out towards the end with a crown and a cape, and this guy is NOT Freddie Mercury? That's a copy cat, right there.

Also - further thoughts on a hired gun's liberties with art others created?

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:53 pm

snifflese wrote:Wow, we wouldn't have much music if only the original artist could sing their song. Does that also apply to the great pianists that composed music 100's of years ago? Guess we wouldn't have had any of that either. Kind of a ridiculous statement, don't you think? There have been so many songs that have been covered and new recordings of old standards come out over time. Then there are concerts where singers cover songs of different artists. The idea that a song can only be sung by the person who wrote it is a little extreme.

I agree with Sharon that at this point after singing with Queen for 5 years and 100's of concerts, Adam can sing any Queen song.I don't understand that because a song is special to you, Adam can't sing it. You also mentioned 2 of the albums that he needs to stay away from. Ridiculous. Who are you to say certain songs can't be sung? It is up to Brian and Roger as to what they would like to perform and I am sure Adam has some say in that. I know he wanted to do Dragon Attack. If you are going to do a concert people have favorites. What would the audience say with no Bohemian Rhapsody? I sure don't want some picture of an artist singing. It was fine with the back and forth, but I like it even better now. Freddie has a different part that he does in the latest concert and it is his moment to shine. They are switching it up, just like you people always want!

You say after 5 years AL can sing any Queen song? Has he even tried to sing all the songs? I hope he never sings any song from the Innuendo and MH albums again. You know those songs Freddie sang his heart out while he was so ill. Freddie never had the chance to sing those songs live.
Freddie should be heard and seen in these shows more than he has been n the last two tours.
These are my POVs and again, I can and I will give it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby CNB » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:54 pm

But the ticket doesn’t say “Queen.” It says “Queen + Adam Lambert.”
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 pm

sharon20 wrote:I agree, Brian & Roger should do whichever songs they want in whatever way they want. Loads of people cover Queen songs, there's cover bands constantly touring doing whichever songs they like.

I didn't see any negative comments on facebook etc when they changed the ending, I don't think people going to the shows expect anything specific at these shows, they just go for a good time. Now we can view everything on YouTube and even stream shows live it makes it that people who don't go to the shows can weigh in on all sorts of things in the show that they previously wouldn't know about, you only need to see the comments on YouTube. I think it also highlights any mistakes which in the scheme of the show you don't even notice.

When I say Adam's earned the right I mean in the sense that he's no longer just a guest singer for a few shows but a permanent part of the band for as long as they can still tour, or as long as they all want to tour. Obviously he had no part in creating any of the music.

AL will never be a permanent part of Queen. I'd even say the same about Paul Rodgers.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:58 pm

CNB wrote:
eiricd wrote:I urge lambert fans to read/reply to my previous post.
annoying when you take a few minutes of precious time to make valid points, and the glamberts ignore it.

he is a copy cat. and imo he has a VERY limited amount of liberty of what he can and cannot do as a hired gun.

I just read ALL of your previous posts in this thread and your point is what? That you liked QPR better because he is an original and wasn’t copying Freddie?

I think B & R like Adam interpreting their music because he IS more theatrical and more like Freddie! Paul has a raspy rock voice, but Adam’s range is more flexible. He sings everything, pop, rock, reggae, R&B, disco, blues, country, etc.

You might think he can sing all those genres of music. Very little of it it in his solo music. I doubt we will see AL write and sing a country song for his own career. He has been stuck singing covers, the electronic dance and pop music throughout his career so far.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby snifflese » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 pm

I have got a feeling that Brian and Roger would not call Adam a hired gun. They have said many, many times that he is now part of the Queen family. He is paid very well and they have a lot of respect when they talk about him. He is an integral part of the decision making if you have listened to their interviews. How many times do they have to say they are enjoying this, playing better than ever and would not be doing this without Adam, nor do they wish to continue on if it is not Adam. You may prefer to think that he is a hired gun, but nothing could be further from the truth.

I think both you and Icy know that Adam is the closest thing to Freddie the band is ever going to find. He is tall and dark, charismatic, likes to dress up and can sing his face off. The reviews this time around are off the charts both in the US and Europe. I assume you think this somehow detracts from Freddie? Any compliment towards Adam is some perceived slight to Freddie? Freddie's legacy is secure, but it doesn't mean that Adam cannot also shine in his own light. He is enough like Freddie to make it Queen (which concert goers want), but different enough as QAL to make it his own.

Yes, Icy, I do think Adam can sing just about anything! He does an amazing job on classical, broadway tunes, R and B, Gospel, rock, pop, dance and even a fab country cover for the CMA's. He has covered all those genres in songs on Idol, his time in musicals, cabaret, and some extra songs in his own concerts. You can find all kinds of songs on You tube that he has covered in many genres.One of my favorites (wish it had been on Itunes) was covering Little Big Town on the CMA's singing their hit, Girl Crush. He does a stupendous job singing the National Anthem at NAS Miramar during Idol. It is pretty much just his voice and not many singers can do that! That is one of the most amazing things about his voice, it sounds convincing and in any genre. Most singers are not that versatile. He has a lovely tone and resonance to his voice. The high notes are still melodic and not screechy like most singers. He can sing those high notes in mixed voice and doesn't have to resort to that thin falsetto most guys have to sing in. He can run up and down the scale effortlessly and you never him switching to different mixes in his voice. His passagio im one of the best if you read what teachers of music have said about his voice. He can also hold a note forever and not wobble on it. He is just about never off key. The AMA's were the only time, unfortunately, that he sounded pretty bad. He is also amazingly reliable as he can also go on tour, sing two hours for many shows, many back to backs, and still sound as good or better at the end, than he did at the beginning. How you could think he is not an amazing singer after all this, I just don't understand. I think he is one of the best in the world at this point in time!
That is my POV, Icy!!

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm

I doubt you'll see Adam write and sing a country song either since it's probably his least favourite genre. I think blues/rock would be the way to go but that's up to him to decide. I don't see what's wrong with doing covers in live shows but I doubt you'll see him record any cover albums, not his thing at all.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Really can't see why Freddie should be seen more in the shows, anyone wanting to see/hear Freddie can watch the live DVD's that have been put out or the numerous shows on YouTube. IMO a live show is meant to be enjoyed and to have fun, not be a nostalgic experience, at least that's not what I want to go for.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 pm

eiricd

Eight/nine years actually, idol was 2009. He's not a hired gun according to Brian & Roger and they give him a lot of freedom to do what he wants - good or bad depending on your viewpoint. He has freedom to choose songs he wants, has freedom to sing them how he want's, how he acts on stage and a lot of input into the staging and how everything is done.

Freddie also messed up lyrics so that isn't exclusive to Adam. All artists no matter who take inspiration from other artist they admire so in that sense they could all be classed as copying someone to an extent, but Adam doesn't copy Freddie, he's just inspired by the way he did what he wanted onstage and didn't give a damn what anyone thought. He referenced the Montreal gig as one in particular, where Freddie was running around in shorts with no shoes. In his words "That's rockstar to me".

He said in an interview that when he gets onstage with Queen the choices he makes with staging, costumes, the way he sings the songs and the way he acts is all inspired by Freddie, in other words "would he enjoy watching this, would he approve". That isn't copying that's just wanting to stay true to Freddie's vision of what the band were trying to achieve. He may take small things Freddie did and use the idea from them but if you watch his solo stuff from early on and before idol it's obvious he's always been drawn to dressing up, camp theatrical performing. Don't see anything wrong with that it's just who he is.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:49 pm

sharon20 wrote:Really can't see why Freddie should be seen more in the shows, anyone wanting to see/hear Freddie can watch the live DVD's that have been put out or the numerous shows on YouTube. IMO a live show is meant to be enjoyed and to have fun, not be a nostalgic experience, at least that's not what I want to go for.

:shock:
You really can't see why I would want to see more of Freddie? Take DOOL for example. That always came across to me as the best way to pay tribute to Freddie during the shows. Sadly that was only done twice in the last tours.
Freddie deserves the respect and honour in the music, you know the songs he actually wrote, and sang for years in some cases. AL wearing the crown and cape is no tribute to Freddie, IMO. It's a cheap gimmick.
I can and I will watch my Queen and Freddie DVDs and videos, but I hope to watch the upcoming Q+AL shows as well.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 pm

sharon20 wrote:I doubt you'll see Adam write and sing a country song either since it's probably his least favourite genre. I think blues/rock would be the way to go but that's up to him to decide. I don't see what's wrong with doing covers in live shows but I doubt you'll see him record any cover albums, not his thing at all.

He has already sang a country song, but no way does that make him a country singer. That's my point.
Blues/rock my butt. Last time I heard he wanted to go back to his glam roots. At this point, I don't even think he knows what genre or sound he will go for, maybe he will stick to the EDM and pop sound he has done before.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:00 pm

sharon20 wrote:eiricd

Eight/nine years actually, idol was 2009. He's not a hired gun according to Brian & Roger and they give him a lot of freedom to do what he wants - good or bad depending on your viewpoint. He has freedom to choose songs he wants, has freedom to sing them how he want's, how he acts on stage and a lot of input into the staging and how everything is done.

Freddie also messed up lyrics so that isn't exclusive to Adam. All artists no matter who take inspiration from other artist they admire so in that sense they could all be classed as copying someone to an extent, but Adam doesn't copy Freddie, he's just inspired by the way he did what he wanted onstage and didn't give a damn what anyone thought. He referenced the Montreal gig as one in particular, where Freddie was running around in shorts with no shoes. In his words "That's rockstar to me".

He said in an interview that when he gets onstage with Queen the choices he makes with staging, costumes, the way he sings the songs and the way he acts is all inspired by Freddie, in other words "would he enjoy watching this, would he approve". That isn't copying that's just wanting to stay true to Freddie's vision of what the band were trying to achieve. He may take small things Freddie did and use the idea from them but if you watch his solo stuff from early on and before idol it's obvious he's always been drawn to dressing up, camp theatrical performing. Don't see anything wrong with that it's just who he is.

If AL is so inspired by Freddie, why cheapen that with the cape and crown for example? Why even wear a cape and the crown in the first place?
No way could anyone tell me it's about the music when certain things cheapen it, IMO. I can't imagine Freddie being 35 years old( Al's current age ) riding a tricycle on stage to name one example.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 pm

snifflese wrote:I have got a feeling that Brian and Roger would not call Adam a hired gun. They have said many, many times that he is now part of the Queen family. He is paid very well and they have a lot of respect when they talk about him. He is an integral part of the decision making if you have listened to their interviews. How many times do they have to say they are enjoying this, playing better than ever and would not be doing this without Adam, nor do they wish to continue on if it is not Adam. You may prefer to think that he is a hired gun, but nothing could be further from the truth.

I think both you and Icy know that Adam is the closest thing to Freddie the band is ever going to find. He is tall and dark, charismatic, likes to dress up and can sing his face off. The reviews this time around are off the charts both in the US and Europe. I assume you think this somehow detracts from Freddie? Any compliment towards Adam is some perceived slight to Freddie? Freddie's legacy is secure, but it doesn't mean that Adam cannot also shine in his own light. He is enough like Freddie to make it Queen (which concert goers want), but different enough as QAL to make it his own.

Yes, Icy, I do think Adam can sing just about anything! He does an amazing job on classical, broadway tunes, R and B, Gospel, rock, pop, dance and even a fab country cover for the CMA's. He has covered all those genres in songs on Idol, his time in musicals, cabaret, and some extra songs in his own concerts. You can find all kinds of songs on You tube that he has covered in many genres.One of my favorites (wish it had been on Itunes) was covering Little Big Town on the CMA's singing their hit, Girl Crush. He does a stupendous job singing the National Anthem at NAS Miramar during Idol. It is pretty much just his voice and not many singers can do that! That is one of the most amazing things about his voice, it sounds convincing and in any genre. Most singers are not that versatile. He has a lovely tone and resonance to his voice. The high notes are still melodic and not screechy like most singers. He can sing those high notes in mixed voice and doesn't have to resort to that thin falsetto most guys have to sing in. He can run up and down the scale effortlessly and you never him switching to different mixes in his voice. His passagio im one of the best if you read what teachers of music have said about his voice. He can also hold a note forever and not wobble on it. He is just about never off key. The AMA's were the only time, unfortunately, that he sounded pretty bad. He is also amazingly reliable as he can also go on tour, sing two hours for many shows, many back to backs, and still sound as good or better at the end, than he did at the beginning. How you could think he is not an amazing singer after all this, I just don't understand. I think he is one of the best in the world at this point in time!
That is my POV, Icy!!

AL will never be a member of Queen to me. Don't care how many holidays AL joins Roger on his boat, don't care how many times he is said to be a part of the Queen family, he will never be a member of Queen to me.

The very fact you go as far as to even try to speak for me in saying that I know AL is the closest to Freddie. Oh hell no I don't, because AL isn't even remotely close to being like Freddie for many reasons, IMO.

Big whoop that AL is charismatic, dark, and dresses up and can sing his face off? Is that the only qualifications someone has to sing with Brian and Roger? Erm, you just lost me there. Gee, who knew that's all it took.

Him singing covers of other genres does not mean he can sing and write in those genres and do it well. His cover of Girl Crush didn't prove to me he can sing the country pop genre. He did that song just once after all. And I've never heard him sing many covers of country songs, and nope I don't need or want to see him to ROF from AI.

So you don't understand why I don't think of AL as an amazing singer after all he has done. Personally, I feel he sings some songs better than others. I always have felt that way. Should I flail about and think no matter what he sings that he is amazing? Hell no, and I don't even do that for Freddie and Queen.
Last edited by icy on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby sharon20 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 pm

I know about the one country song but it was for an award show and he's said in the past country music isn't his preference, which is why he did the ring of fire the way he did. The last thing he would want is to be a country singer, it doesn't interest him in the slightest.

What's wrong with him doing blues/rock? Not saying he will but he did mention it at one point and I think that's where his voice naturally fits. That said I agree with Snifflease, he can cross genre's and do most other stuff.

I really hope he moves away from the EDM, it's great if you can't really sing that well but in that genre he just doesn't stand out, it's not designed to show off the voice. One of my favourite covers he's done is Red House, I just love his voice on that.

As to the tricycle etc, if you listen to his interviews he says "I just want people to have fun, why does music have to be serious, I just want to bring some levity and give people a break from all the stuff that's happening in the world". He really doesn't take any of that stuff seriously, it's just all done tongue in cheek and the audience love it. Even the cape and crown is done for fun, you can see him laughing at himself while he does that stuff. No matter how much freedom Brian & Roger give him to do what he wants they wouldn't allow him to do it if they thought it was cheapening anything or being disrespectful. He loves the band and loved Freddie, he wouldn't do it with that intention at all.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 pm

sharon20 wrote:I know about the one country song but it was for an award show and he's said in the past country music isn't his preference, which is why he did the ring of fire the way he did. The last thing he would want is to be a country singer, it doesn't interest him in the slightest.

What's wrong with him doing blues/rock? Not saying he will but he did mention it at one point and I think that's where his voice naturally fits. That said I agree with Snifflease, he can cross genre's and do most other stuff.

I really hope he moves away from the EDM, it's great if you can't really sing that well but in that genre he just doesn't stand out, it's not designed to show off the voice. One of my favourite covers he's done is Red House, I just love his voice on that.

As to the tricycle etc, if you listen to his interviews he says "I just want people to have fun, why does music have to be serious, I just want to bring some levity and give people a break from all the stuff that's happening in the world". He really doesn't take any of that stuff seriously, it's just all done tongue in cheek and the audience love it. Even the cape and crown is done for fun, you can see him laughing at himself while he does that stuff. No matter how much freedom Brian & Roger give him to do what he wants they wouldn't allow him to do it if they thought it was cheapening anything or being disrespectful. He loves the band and loved Freddie, he wouldn't do it with that intention at all.

Thing is AL has changed his mind or at least what he has said his upcoming music will be like. Maybe now he might have a clue of the sound and genre he is going for? As he is working on this month. I don't expect drastic changes, or even shifts, and if I'm wrong, I'd be happy and eat my hat.
His voice can be very covered up by the EDM music he seems to love so much. I do hope his upcoming album will be different than what he has already done. Stretch those wings. Queen had done it many times throughout their career, and you bet I will watching to see if and how Brian and Roger influences AL with his solo career. Really no better time to just go for it.
I think the crown and cape cheapens Q+AL. Why not do couple of shows without all the gimmicks, for example Unplugged or Storytellers and see how that goes, perhaps. I doubt that will ever happen though.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert