Japan 2014 release

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Japan 2014 release

Postby eiricd » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnL8IlexMo

found its way to youtube. maybe it'll be taken down soon

anyways; checked out a fair portion of this.
Sadly, my opinion on lambert has not changed. as I've said elsewhere, I'm at the point where I want to like this, cause I want to see Brian and Roger one more time. Still the same for me though; he is lost on the rock songs, and his use of vibrato is way over the top. And don't get me started on the props :( The couch? Dear god.... :cry:

the good news; the band is still playing well. the non-lambert portion of this gigs is really nice.
and the production on this seems to be superb.

wish they would go back and do the QPR live releases the same justice

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Re: Japan 2014 release

Postby CNB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:04 pm

I hope they put out an official video of the current tour because the opening with Frank the robot is fantastic! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx7EPqdYI4w&app=desktop
Last edited by CNB on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:14 pm

eiricd wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnL8IlexMo

Sadly, my opinion on lambert has not changed. as I've said elsewhere, I'm at the point where I want to like this, cause I want to see Brian and Roger one more time. Still the same for me though; he is lost on the rock songs, and his use of vibrato is way over the top. And don't get me started on the props :( The couch? Dear god.... :cry:

the good news; the band is still playing well. the non-lambert portion of this gigs is really nice.

Out of all I have seen durig these Q+AL concerts DOOL and LOML is what stands out to me in the best possible way. And can't help but to feel sad DOOL was not performed very much at all during the last tours.
Been thinking along those lines lately, if no DOOL in future shows how about Brian and Roger singing NOBY? That would also be a nice tribute, at least I think so.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby AngelR » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:14 pm

eiricd wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnL8IlexMo

Not saying you would like Lambert now but they give the finest 20 minutes of rock at the beginning of their set this tour.

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby eiricd » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 am

.........watching more of Japan 2014 now...
the interraction with the audience after Killer Queen is horrendous. It's like a school play where the two main characters all of a sudden are reduced to the role of an extra :shock:

what an audio/video production this is. I'm sure the blu ray is stunning in that department!!!

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby CNB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 pm

eiricd wrote:.........watching more of Japan 2014 now...
the interraction with the audience after Killer Queen is horrendous. It's like a school play where the two main characters all of a sudden are reduced to the role of an extra :shock:

what an audio/video production this is. I'm sure the blu ray is stunning in that department!!!

Thanks for posting this, eiricd, I’ve only seen a fan video of this show previously. Don’t know what you mean about the part after KQ. The interaction with the audience was great during IWIA, Teo Torriatte, LOML, TATDOOL, UP and IWBTLY.

That really is a great video with fireworks at the end!
Last edited by CNB on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby snifflese » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:40 pm

This is from over 3 years ago and they sound much better now than they did then. I saw QAL in 2014 and now in 2017 and there is a world of difference, as they have just come together over the last 3 years. I loved the first QAL tour, but there is no comparison for me to the 2017 show. Adam's voice has gotten a bit deeper and I assume he has worked on his lower range, as it is much stronger than it was before. The rock songs are markedly better than they were initially and that goes for everything else. I got the Japan DVD as a Christmas present when it was produced and it was good. I have seen and listened to both the CD and DVD a number of times, but the sound quality on the CD and DVD is not all that great. I am not sure what you hear as vocals on that one is the true sound. It seems to me that it was somewhat muffled and there was too much from the audience that covered the singing and the music. It was a little disappointing to me when I first listened to it. Adam's singing in this tour is stronger than ever before and so is the total show. It was tremendous!

The vibrato is often mentioned, but there is some required as it helps protect the vocal cords, if I understand that correctly. Initially, back in 2012, I thought there was a little much, but I am just not hearing it to that degree now. I actually went back to some Freddie youtubes and he has quite a bit of vibrato himself, IMO. No one ever mentions that here, but I was surprised to hear it, since people criticize Adam for that. Adam has toned it down in the current show!

As far as the couch, it was one of my fav things. I just didn't like the water spitting at the end. It is actually quite campy and fun, if you are there. According to reviews and folk's comments, they loved the couch and Killer Queen.
It is kind of like the bicycle this tour that everyone here hates. For concert goers, they get a big kick out of it. It just kind of works in the flow of the show!! I actually preferred the couch to Frank! To each his own!

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Thank you for the link. I saw it a few weeks ago on an Adam board, but forgot about it.

I know,that's the only official release of a QAL concert on DVD. But I didn't buy it,because firstly it's really expensive, only available from Japan and secondly I don't like that particular concert. The concert was shortened, because it was for a festival. There are more than a quarter of the songs of the regular setlist of that year missing. In between those my favourites STL, WWTLF and DA. And since I only came on board in 2015, this concert is even older and I can confirm, that QAL got (even) better since 2014. :) This was somewhere around ther 30th concert together, now they have more than 150. So that's natural.
BUT if someone hasn't seen a QAL-concert before, it sure shows you, what you can expect and if you will like it or not. (Or maybe not completely, because at least some of their best songs are missing here. :? )

What I do like about this DVD is, that they played IWBTLY and that the quality of sound and video is very good.

ETA: the vibrato: I just listened to the video and I have the impression, that Adam did it to a much lesser extend in recent concerts. (And it is true: without a certain extend of vibrato a singer destroys his voice.).

In the end I would like to add to those, who might want to like the collaboration:
I would ask you, if you get the chance, to jump the gun and just go. Don't think about it too much.
I for one, had never in my life thought, that I would become a fan of an artist like Adam Lambert. Never. Had I just seen and heard him in youtube-vids (or others) I would have thought, he's completely over the top, sometimes screaching (yes, I found it in earlier years after Idol as well) and all in all in his theatrics not always pleasant to watch. I'm sure, that's how I would have felt.
Thankfully, I'm no old Queeny (or old Glambert). Thankfully, because I simply stumbled by chance into my first QAL-concert, without having looked up anything about Adam. I came to see a Queen-concert ( minus Mercury). And in the whole experience of a concert, I really liked what I saw and heard (hey, that's why I'm here). And I think, that's how most people at theses gigs feel. It's great music, a great spectacle, you can see your old heros, also a tribute to Freddie and a capable frontman. And all celebratea big party together.

If you really think, you won't enjoy it, you should stay at home. Nothing is for everyone.
But if you're thinking of it and still unsure, I would ask you to try it. From all the reactions I've seen at my 5 gigs, the chance to regret it, is slimmer than the chance that you had a great time! 8)
Just look at the reactions of these fans in Japan. I think they had the time of their lives, even if some of them seem to cry a lot.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 pm

I just got to the interaction part, you mentioned. And I have to say, you are right. All I can add is, that it wasn't like this at any of the shows, I can remember. Usually this is the time Adam pays tribute to Freddie.
Here it seemed, he was just looking for a way to find a bridge to the next song, and that wasn't cleverly done. To save time? I don't know.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm

After watching it, why was that show released? I have to say, IMO, it's not one of their best.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 pm

icy wrote:After watching it, why was that show released? I have to say, IMO, it's not one of their best.

I think, the answer of your question can be found in Japan?
As for the show: it's not bad. The problem for me is, that it's different from their "normal" shows back then. It's shortened and it doesn't have their own (complete) stage. So, why release that one as the only official release (so far)? I just hope, we get a release of the current tour!
Last edited by Nicki79 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby AngelR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Nicki79 wrote:

I just got to the interaction part, you mentioned. And I have to say, you are right. All I can add is, that it wasn't like this at any of the shows, I can remember. Usually this is the time Adam pays tribute to Freddie.
Here it seemed, he was just looking for a way to find a bridge to the next song, and that wasn't cleverly done. To save time? I don't know.

It's bad editing, many parts of the show were cut out from this DVD. I remember it was a major complaint from the fans who bought it several years ago. WWTLF is not there for some reason and some bits might look out of the context There are full fan videos on YouTube if you want to compare.

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 pm

AngelR wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:

It's bad editing, many parts of the show were cut out from this DVD. I remember it was a major complaint from the fans who bought it several years ago. WWTLF is not there for some reason and some bits might look out of the context There are full fan videos on YouTube if you want to compare.

Aha. I don't know about the editing.
But the show is complete, if the setlist on "setlist.fm" is correct. So they released a shortened show. I just think it's a shame, they only released a show without WWTLF and STL (and DA). But maybe it has to do with the fact, that it is a restricted release? The songs, that Adam does best, are simply missing for me.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby snifflese » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Yes, I was disappointed when I got the box set. I felt it wasn't a strong show, certainly not like the normal QAL show. The CD in particular had the vocals really drowned out and it was hard to hear the singing and music. I remember thinking it was a shame my son spent so much money on it. There was no WWTLF, which was really disappointing! The one song I loved was "I was born to love you". I wish they played it in places other than Japan.

I was thinking about all the complaints concerning the bike and the couch. If you are at the show, it doesn't come off quite the same as a youtube where you are focused on Adam and those silly expressions (which work for me, but nor for everybody!). There is the audience you look at, the audience singing, the laser light spectacle, each musician singing and playing and moving on the stage, and that neat video thing that goes around the top and you see the different parts of the stage and then the big screen in the back. From the audience you just don't see every nuance of Adam's face and it isn't the only thing you focus on. When it is one part of the many, it kind of works! I have been to many rock shows over the years and this one surpasses them by a mile! My picky purist older son even said it was great and he hardly ever says that about anything. Since he wasn't predisposed to like this concert, it was an amazing statement from him!

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:40 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
icy wrote:After watching it, why was that show released? I have to say, IMO, it's not one of their best.

I think, the answer of your question can be found in Japan?
As for the show: it's not bad. The problem for me is, that it's different from theit "normal" shows back then. It's shortened and it doesn't have their own (complete) stage. So, why release that one as the only official release (so far)? I just hope, we get a release of the current tour!

It does seem cobbled together. Also, even the music isn't the best I have seen and heard Q+AL perform.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert