The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby Pingu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:59 am

It's not 'dangerous' at all is it? I'm still pissed off that during their "Live Killers' era the band didn't actually kill anyone live on stage. And as for Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous", well, they all survived it didn't they? Health and safety gone mad, I assume. And as for Iron Maiden's "Live after Death", we now know there was no voodoo resurrection of dead band members. In fact, they were all alive and well all the time. Probably something to do with religion and political correctness (gone mad).

Now a Queen acoustic set in a theatre with guest vocalists, Brian and Roger sat in easy chairs, by candelight - now THAT's what I call dangerous. Oh, except the candles aren't allowed now because of something to do with all the lefties clamping down on free speech.

IT"S JUST ANOTHER DAY AT QOL. :cheers:
 
Pingu
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 585
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby icy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 am

Pingu wrote:It's not 'dangerous' at all is it? I'm still pissed off that during their "Live Killers' era the band didn't actually kill anyone live on stage. And as for Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous", well, they all survived it didn't they? Health and safety gone mad, I assume. And as for Iron Maiden's "Live after Death", we now know there was no voodoo resurrection of dead band members. In fact, they were all alive and well all the time. Probably something to do with religion and political correctness (gone mad).

Now a Queen acoustic set in a theatre with guest vocalists, Brian and Roger sat in easy chairs, by candelight - now THAT's what I call dangerous. Oh, except the candles aren't allowed now because of something to do with all the lefties clamping down on free speech.

IT"S JUST ANOTHER DAY AT QOL. :cheers:

You win the internet today :lol: :onfire:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16506
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 am

Although I believe it must take a lot out of a 70 year old man to be up on stage a couple of hours every night (with all that added adrenaline), I cannot accept Brian's assessment that it will be 'dangerous'; there is no danger in these shows - they are far too scripted. I love and respect Brian like no other musician out there, but he is prone to hyperbole and over-selling things.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby icy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 am

musicalprostitute wrote:Although I believe it must take a lot out of a 70 year old man to be up on stage a couple of hours every night (with all that added adrenaline), I cannot accept Brian's assessment that it will be 'dangerous'; there is no danger in these shows - they are far too scripted. I love and respect Brian like no other musician out there, but he is prone to hyperbole and over-selling things.

You would think after Q+AL has toured so much, that Brian wouldn't have to hype things up. But if he really thinks these shows are dangerous...then I'd like to see him and Roger change things up a bit set list and stage wise.
Queen with Freddie were so groundbreaking live...and Q+AL is stuck in a rut it seems.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16506
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby CNB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Excuse me? The stage for the 2017 tour was completely different from the previous QAL tours! What do you want from these guys? Their blood?

The shows are spectacular and magnificent and people come away saying they are the best they have ever been to! If you have never been — go, and see for yourself!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!
 
CNB
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 9176
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:54 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 517 times
Been thanked: 413 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 pm

CNB wrote:Excuse me? The stage for the 2017 tour was completely different from the previous QAL tours! What do you want from these guys? Their blood?

The shows are spectacular and magnificent and people come away saying they are the best they have ever been to! If you have never been — go, and see for yourself!


I think, for me, the visual side of the show is top notch and better than any other Queen concert in their history (but then the technology allows so many amazing things to happen during concerts today); but I want raw rock 'n' roll and spontaneity, not a show full to the brim with clichés and very scripted stage banter - it is almost the polar opposite of what I loved about Queen live.

So, yes, visually, this show has taken Queen live to a different level. But they have lost something that made them special - something real and something human, with raw emotion. There is a perfection there now that leaves me rather cold.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby Echoplex » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:14 pm

icy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Although I believe it must take a lot out of a 70 year old man to be up on stage a couple of hours every night (with all that added adrenaline), I cannot accept Brian's assessment that it will be 'dangerous'; there is no danger in these shows - they are far too scripted. I love and respect Brian like no other musician out there, but he is prone to hyperbole and over-selling things.

You would think after Q+AL has toured so much, that Brian wouldn't have to hype things up. But if he really thinks these shows are dangerous...then I'd like to see him and Roger change things up a bit set list and stage wise.
Queen with Freddie were so groundbreaking live...and Q+AL is stuck in a rut it seems.


From 1978 to 1980 Queen stuck to the same formula for their live set and a percentage of that set was lifted from 1977.

Go a listen to any of the live recordings from that Period. The only changes were the introduction of some (not many) new songs while the bulk of what was played remained the same.

The 1978 Jazz tour intro, the thunder and white lights under the drum riser remained until 1981. As did the opening song choices at almost all the shows through that period. The medley went even further back, true it did change but Killer Queen remained and once I'm In Love With My Car was introduced that stayed in the set for that period.

The Hot Space tour saw a brave change, some liked it some didn't. Probably The Works was the only tour where as a live band they played something for everyone. Every album was covered and the production really was as big and impressive as the publicity said.

Kind of Magic they toured a greatest hits show with some covers, and a kind of watered down Works tour type medley.

So what they are playing now is no different to what they've almost always played since they started playing big venues, they are playing to the masses rather than those of us who think they should be playing half of Queen II. The current production looks nothing like what has been done by them before, except for the recycled drum riser which has had a lick of red paint over the previous gold!

But to criticise the band for the set list makes no sense unless you're prepared to level the same criticism at the band in their heyday! As for the scripted nature of the current shows, again go and listen to shows from the mid 70's through to 86, both Freddie and Brian said the same, or very similar thing, at the same points in shows night after night. What has pappened now is that through the Internet we has almost immediate access to shows through out a tour as they happen and so have become aware of how scripted and formularised the show are. . . Just like the old days.
 
Echoplex
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby parchedpeas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 pm

If they want to do anything new they should fix the awful awful opening which they still haven't got right post-Freddie.

Flash into The Hero = fab
One Vision into TYMD = fab
We Will Rock You (fast) = fab

'Reaching Out' was a better opener than the way they're opening up these days.
 
parchedpeas
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby freda_bloogs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Honestly, I don’t know why anyone even bothers replying to fairydandy. I’ve been coming on these forums regularly since 2002 and he hasn’t had a nice word to say about Queen in all that time. Just ignore the troll. I would come more often, frankly, but his and a select few others’ posts absolutely ruin it for me.

(I presume FD is a he but whatever, she, they, it.)
 
freda_bloogs
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:55 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby fairydandy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm

CNB wrote:The shows are spectacular and magnificent and people come away saying they are the best they have ever been to! If you have never been — go, and see for yourself!


CNB, you're such a passionate and loyal Queen fan....and to think, you didn't know who they were just a few years ago. ;)
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8566
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby fairydandy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm

freda_bloogs wrote:Honestly, I don’t know why anyone even bothers replying to fairydandy. I’ve been coming on these forums regularly since 2002 and he hasn’t had a nice word to say about Queen in all that time. Just ignore the troll. I would come more often, frankly, but his and a select few others’ posts absolutely ruin it for me.

(I presume FD is a he but whatever, she, they, it.)


31 posts in 16 years and no one knows what you think about anything. Oh, but it's my fault that you have no opinions, I see. :roll:
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8566
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby fairydandy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:04 pm

How is it 'trolling' to say that Brian May was being ridiculous for saying it takes every ounce of fitness he can muster? Wrong topic maybe, but I did ask for it to be split. Try and answer freda, go on, we know you can do it...how is it trolling?
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8566
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby freda_bloogs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:35 pm

I'm just going to take my own advice :)
 
freda_bloogs
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:55 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby fairydandy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 pm

freda_bloogs wrote:I'm just going to take my own advice :)


In other words, it's not trolling. :roll:
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8566
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby freda_bloogs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Ok, imagine it's not trolling for a minute.

For years and years and years I have been reading the same opinions again and again. You're so quick to jump down someone's throat, to resort to mockery and puerile name-calling. It just makes this board an unhappy place to be. We all know that you hate Queen+ and that you think that Brian and Roger should hang up their boots. Fine, great, but can't you just let the people who want to enjoy it discuss it amongst themselves? It seems like every thread that I read is hijacked by you and anyone who disagrees with you is branded an idiot.

I had plenty more posts between 02 and 10 when the board was reset. I think the fact that I'm only at 30-odd right now says it all.
 
freda_bloogs
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:55 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests