The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby snifflese » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:27 pm

I agree Freda! It all goes down the tubes once FD gets on here. He is never banned for anything he says or the name calling he does at times. If he doesn't think night after night of playing for two hours is hard on a 70 year old, he isn't in touch with reality. It is tiresome for some 50-60 year olds just standing and watching the concert! I imagine FD's mouth might be up for a marathon, but I doubt he will ever be able to do anything like what Brian and Roger do night after night. It is esp. Brian, because he is standing and running the stage. At least Roger gets to sit. I watched Brian at two concerts and the sweat is running down and he just never stops. Then you do night after night after night. Young people like Adele, Sam Smith, Gaga have problems with illnesses and vocal issues and cancel concerts. Get a grip, FD, your world just isn't reality!
 
snifflese
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:06 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby fairydandy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:29 pm

freda_bloogs wrote:Ok, imagine it's not trolling for a minute.

For years and years and years I have been reading the same opinions again and again. You're so quick to jump down someone's throat, to resort to mockery and puerile name-calling. It just makes this board an unhappy place to be. We all know that you hate Queen+ and that you think that Brian and Roger should hang up their boots. Fine, great, but can't you just let the people who want to enjoy it discuss it amongst themselves? It seems like every thread that I read is hijacked by you and anyone who disagrees with you is branded an idiot.

I had plenty more posts between 02 and 10 when the board was reset. I think the fact that I'm only at 30-odd right now says it all.


Show me a quote of mine where I have said that Roger and Brian 'should hang up their boots'. Show me a post of mine where I have said that I 'hate' QAL. Every thread hijacked by me? I don't think so, I hardly ever post in this forum.

The people who want to enjoy it can enjoy it, how am I stopping them? I just posted about Brian's totally over the top comment about the fitness required (and I asked for the topic to be split). You can enjoy it all you like...even though you have changed your mind. Some of your first posts here were slagging them off.

Yes, let's imagine it wasn't trolling and let's imagine that you now look pretty stupid. :roll:
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8566
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby fairydandy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:34 pm

snifflese wrote:I agree Freda! It all goes down the tubes once FD gets on here. He is never banned for anything he says or the name calling he does at times. If he doesn't think night after night of playing for two hours is hard on a 70 year old, he isn't in touch with reality. It is tiresome for some 50-60 year olds just standing and watching the concert! I imagine FD's mouth might be up for a marathon, but I doubt he will ever be able to do anything like what Brian and Roger do night after night. It is esp. Brian, because he is standing and running the stage. At least Roger gets to sit. I watched Brian at two concerts and the sweat is running down and he just never stops. Then you do night after night after night. Young people like Adele, Sam Smith, Gaga have problems with illnesses and vocal issues and cancel concerts. Get a grip, FD, your world just isn't reality!


I don't think it's hard. He is taken by private jet, or driven to the venue and he plays a bloody guitar for two hours. It's hardly hard labour...and 70 isn't 'that' old. I said that Keith Richards can do it and I doubt he has ever exercised in his life, but people just ignored the point because they are too busy fawning all over Brian. Why would a person get banned for saying this? Who have I called names recently?

Tiresome for 50-60 year olds watching a concert? What on earth are you talking about? They might want to see a doctor.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8566
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Echoplex wrote:
From 1978 to 1980 Queen stuck to the same formula for their live set and a percentage of that set was lifted from 1977.

Go a listen to any of the live recordings from that Period. The only changes were the introduction of some (not many) new songs while the bulk of what was played remained the same.

The 1978 Jazz tour intro, the thunder and white lights under the drum riser remained until 1981. As did the opening song choices at almost all the shows through that period. The medley went even further back, true it did change but Killer Queen remained and once I'm In Love With My Car was introduced that stayed in the set for that period.

The Hot Space tour saw a brave change, some liked it some didn't. Probably The Works was the only tour where as a live band they played something for everyone. Every album was covered and the production really was as big and impressive as the publicity said.

Kind of Magic they toured a greatest hits show with some covers, and a kind of watered down Works tour type medley.

So what they are playing now is no different to what they've almost always played since they started playing big venues, they are playing to the masses rather than those of us who think they should be playing half of Queen II. The current production looks nothing like what has been done by them before, except for the recycled drum riser which has had a lick of red paint over the previous gold!

But to criticise the band for the set list makes no sense unless you're prepared to level the same criticism at the band in their heyday! As for the scripted nature of the current shows, again go and listen to shows from the mid 70's through to 86, both Freddie and Brian said the same, or very similar thing, at the same points in shows night after night. What has pappened now is that through the Internet we has almost immediate access to shows through out a tour as they happen and so have become aware of how scripted and formularised the show are. . . Just like the old days.


Good points made. But I still maintain that these shows are way too scripted - and, yes, I know that Freddie would say similar and identical things back in the day, but it never sounded wooden or forced like it does now.

There is no way on earth that I am saying Queen did not repeat themselves on tour over the years. But I am saying that the raw spirit of rock 'n' roll was very much alive; whereas now I feel it is less rock 'n' roll and more Glee. And, btw, I state all this as someone who actually quite likes Adam as a person and thinks his voice is very strong and technically bordering on perfection...he just lacks that certain something special for me.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby cjhill » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Anyone had a pre-sale link yet?

Tickets usually go on pre-sale on the Wednesday then general sale on Friday but not heard anything yet.
 
cjhill
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:14 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby freda_bloogs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm

fairydandy wrote:
freda_bloogs wrote:Ok, imagine it's not trolling for a minute.

For years and years and years I have been reading the same opinions again and again. You're so quick to jump down someone's throat, to resort to mockery and puerile name-calling. It just makes this board an unhappy place to be. We all know that you hate Queen+ and that you think that Brian and Roger should hang up their boots. Fine, great, but can't you just let the people who want to enjoy it discuss it amongst themselves? It seems like every thread that I read is hijacked by you and anyone who disagrees with you is branded an idiot.

I had plenty more posts between 02 and 10 when the board was reset. I think the fact that I'm only at 30-odd right now says it all.


Show me a quote of mine where I have said that Roger and Brian 'should hang up their boots'. Show me a post of mine where I have said that I 'hate' QAL. Every thread hijacked by me? I don't think so, I hardly ever post in this forum.

The people who want to enjoy it can enjoy it, how am I stopping them? I just posted about Brian's totally over the top comment about the fitness required (and I asked for the topic to be split). You can enjoy it all you like...even though you have changed your mind. Some of your first posts here were slagging them off.

Yes, let's imagine it wasn't trolling and let's imagine that you now look pretty stupid. :roll:


Eh? No, I enjoyed Q+PR from day one. I didn't enjoy the first few concerts I heard with AL and, yes, I changed my mind because I'm an open-minded kind of person. I don't know how you can remember what I posted back in 2005! I can remember how I felt the first time I heard them though! :)

Yeah, yeah, show me this that or the other verbatim. Pedantry will get you nowhere.

As for Brian's fitness, I completely disagree. I have played music for money (I am not saying that I am or was a professional musician) and I can tell you that it is not just a question of getting on stage and playing for two hours. I really suggest that you rethink your position on this one. Whether it's drums, guitar, piano, vocals, clarinet or violin I can tell you that it is tiring. And the most I ever played to was 600 people, not the tens of thousands.
 
freda_bloogs
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:55 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby fairydandy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:22 pm

freda_bloogs wrote:I don't know how you can remember what I posted back in 2005! I can remember how I felt the first time I heard them though! :)


Let me remind you what you said:


How anyone can prefer this to the Paul Rodgers collaboration is quite beyond me. Never in my decade as a Queen fan have I turned off a concert half way through. I just could not stand to listen to him any longer. There's no denying that he can sing fairly well but his voice is not to my tastes. His performance standards are very low. Why, when Brian and Roger could choose someone with such a legacy as that of Paul Rodgers, do they go into uncharted territory with this guy?

Notes were flat. Vibrato was out of control. He just isn't experienced enough to take on this gig. It ruined it all for me. Give me Queen + Paul Rodgers any day.

What I just do not understand is how people on this board took Paul Rodgers to task for years, despite his consistently sound performances, and yet the majority are content with what Adam Lambert did last night. That saddens me. For all those saying how "Freddie can't be replaced", I truly believe that, quite frankly, that's exactly what you want after all. And that idea manifests itself more in AL than PR.

Unfortunately, I do believe that this time Brian and Roger have gone too far. They are but shells of their former selves. I'm really disappointed.


Now you come here and lecture others who you perceive as being critical! I'm entitled to a view point and you can dismiss it as 'trolling' all you like, but I am still going to give it. Just because you're a born again Glamwit, doesn't mean you are right and I am wrong. Would you say that Keith Richards needs 'all the fitness he can muster' to play his guitar, or does it just apply to Sir Brian? You keep avoiding the point.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8566
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 pm

fairydandy wrote:[Show me a post of mine where I have said that I 'hate' QAL


I found one of your posts from a few years ago (since I apparently have way too much time on my hands today) where you called it a "tacky karaoke tribute". Close enough, ain't it?
 
The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

      
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby fairydandy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:30 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
fairydandy wrote:[Show me a post of mine where I have said that I 'hate' QAL


I found one of your posts from a few years ago (since I apparently have way too much time on my hands today) where you called it a "tacky karaoke tribute". Close enough, ain't it?


Not close to 'hate' is it? I don't hate anything or anyone. Thanks for looking though. :)
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8566
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby icy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:47 pm

CNB wrote:Excuse me? The stage for the 2017 tour was completely different from the previous QAL tours! What do you want from these guys? Their blood?

The shows are spectacular and magnificent and people come away saying they are the best they have ever been to! If you have never been — go, and see for yourself!

I stand by what I posted. It seems the NOTW was the most effort put into the stage production out of all the tours. Not much was put into the set list, two songs were dropped pretty quickly after all.
I can and I will give my POVs without having attended a Q+AL concert. ;)
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16506
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby icy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:I think, for me, the visual side of the show is top notch and better than any other Queen concert in their history (but then the technology allows so many amazing things to happen during concerts today); but I want raw rock 'n' roll and spontaneity, not a show full to the brim with clichés and very scripted stage banter - it is almost the polar opposite of what I loved about Queen live.

So, yes, visually, this show has taken Queen live to a different level. But they have lost something that made them special - something real and something human, with raw emotion. There is a perfection there now that leaves me rather cold.

It seems to me more thought was put into the visual side of things even more than the music itself. Frank is cool on-screen, but when AL sits on Frank's head, yea not very cool. It cheapens it, IMO. Same as with the crown and cape, it's just cheesy gimmicks.
Freddie was human, with raw emotions...I think that's why he and Queen were so powerful, and when you add in the talent of writing, playing instruments, the live concerts, no wonder why Queen were so powerful. Q+AL doesn't have half of that going for it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16506
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby BitterTears » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:39 pm

The email I got says the presale for the o2 starts tomorrow but when I click on the link, the site says Thursday.
 
BitterTears
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby adatr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 pm

My presale link for London says the same

Assume it will work tomorrow :?
 
adatr
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 9:16 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby freda_bloogs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 pm

fairydandy wrote:
freda_bloogs wrote:I don't know how you can remember what I posted back in 2005! I can remember how I felt the first time I heard them though! :)


Let me remind you what you said:


How anyone can prefer this to the Paul Rodgers collaboration is quite beyond me. Never in my decade as a Queen fan have I turned off a concert half way through. I just could not stand to listen to him any longer. There's no denying that he can sing fairly well but his voice is not to my tastes. His performance standards are very low. Why, when Brian and Roger could choose someone with such a legacy as that of Paul Rodgers, do they go into uncharted territory with this guy?

Notes were flat. Vibrato was out of control. He just isn't experienced enough to take on this gig. It ruined it all for me. Give me Queen + Paul Rodgers any day.

What I just do not understand is how people on this board took Paul Rodgers to task for years, despite his consistently sound performances, and yet the majority are content with what Adam Lambert did last night. That saddens me. For all those saying how "Freddie can't be replaced", I truly believe that, quite frankly, that's exactly what you want after all. And that idea manifests itself more in AL than PR.

Unfortunately, I do believe that this time Brian and Roger have gone too far. They are but shells of their former selves. I'm really disappointed.


Now you come here and lecture others who you perceive as being critical! I'm entitled to a view point and you can dismiss it as 'trolling' all you like, but I am still going to give it. Just because you're a born again Glamwit, doesn't mean you are right and I am wrong. Would you say that Keith Richards needs 'all the fitness he can muster' to play his guitar, or does it just apply to Sir Brian? You keep avoiding the point.


I'm not lecturing others, just you. Yeah, I was critical once about one gig. But I kept an open mind and Adam got better. I didn't go on and on and on about it though. You have one post of mine whereas I could probably point to over 1000 of yours. That is my point. You also proved my point by saying "born again Glamwit". That's not an adult discussion. Keith Richards? Um, sure, of course he does, just like any other performer. You'll see that I didn't miss the point, I answered it in a previous post in which I drew upon personal experience. And, finally, that post is not from 2005.
 
freda_bloogs
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:55 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: The O2 Arena on July 2nd! And more to come.

Postby BitterTears » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 pm

Took me a while managed to get tickets for the o2.

Interesting that London is the last night of the tour. Is it possible this is intended as the last one ever with the movie serving as a bookend to almost 50 glorious years? Surely they'd advertise it as such though...?
 
BitterTears
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 37 times

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests