James Hetfield wants to be as cool as Brian at age 70

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

James Hetfield wants to be as cool as Brian at age 70

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 pm

I found it interesting, what the guys from Metallica thought about Brian after a QAL-show they visited during the last tour, especially since I sometimes have the feeling, that some Queen-Fans on this side seem to mock Brian a lot. Among his peers he seems to be valued a lot. Here is an excerpt:

METALLICA’s JAMES HETFIELD: If I’m Alive At 70, I Hope I’ll Be As Cool As Brian May

In an interview with So What, METALLICA frontman James Hetfield talked about his musical idols, especially praising QUEEN guitarist Brian May, saying (watch entire interview below):

“QUEEN has been a huge inspiration in the early days for me, especially Brian May. Just watching Brian May… There was a moment in the show [James is referring to a QUEEN concert he recently went to], ‘Bohemian Rhapsody,’ it was like this rock ‘n’ roll dream I was looking at.

“I was right at the sound desk, looking out at him, long ramp. He popped out of the middle just before his solo. There’s smoke, there’s light behind him, and his white hair, this big white aura around him and he rises up out of the stage and he’s doing the solo. And he’s in this giant silver cape with like the ’70s look.

„Kirk [Hammett] and I just looked at each other like, ‘Holy shit! This is awesome!’ Total fanboys at that point. And then after the show… [Laughs] Brian May says, ‘I’m wondering if Kirk likes what I’m playing.’ And Kirk and I look at each other again like, ‘Huh? Yeah, Brian May just said that.’

Here is the link to the complete article:
http://metaladdicts.com/site/metallicas ... brian-may/

Nicki79
Spread Your Wings

Re: James Hetfield wants to be as cool as Brian at age 70

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 pm

Metallica are a bunch of douchebags. I can't believe they turned into money hungry corporate pigs. Yep, they'll probably be just like Brian when they're 70.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Pingu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Yeah I wouldn't bother trying to post anything positive about Queen here. The usual moaning arses will either ignore it, or crawl out of the woodwork to bitch about it, then tell all and sundry to "fuck off", then complain that the board is dying due to 'political correctness', when actually, it's because of them.

Actually Nicki79, please do continue to post positive things here, and many thanks for your post.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Nicki79 wrote:I found it interesting, what the guys from Metallica thought about Brian after a QAL-show they visited during the last tour, especially since I sometimes have the feeling, that some Queen-Fans on this side seem to mock Brian a lot. Among his peers he seems to be valued a lot. Here is an excerpt:

METALLICA’s JAMES HETFIELD: If I’m Alive At 70, I Hope I’ll Be As Cool As Brian May

In an interview with So What, METALLICA frontman James Hetfield talked about his musical idols, especially praising QUEEN guitarist Brian May, saying (watch entire interview below):

“QUEEN has been a huge inspiration in the early days for me, especially Brian May. Just watching Brian May… There was a moment in the show [James is referring to a QUEEN concert he recently went to], ‘Bohemian Rhapsody,’ it was like this rock ‘n’ roll dream I was looking at.

“I was right at the sound desk, looking out at him, long ramp. He popped out of the middle just before his solo. There’s smoke, there’s light behind him, and his white hair, this big white aura around him and he rises up out of the stage and he’s doing the solo. And he’s in this giant silver cape with like the ’70s look.

„Kirk [Hammett] and I just looked at each other like, ‘Holy shit! This is awesome!’ Total fanboys at that point. And then after the show… [Laughs] Brian May says, ‘I’m wondering if Kirk likes what I’m playing.’ And Kirk and I look at each other again like, ‘Huh? Yeah, Brian May just said that.’

Here is the link to the complete article:
http://metaladdicts.com/site/metallicas ... brian-may/

I adore Brian. I do not agree with his politics or some of the band decisions he has made in the past, but I have nothing but pure respect and warmth for him. Not only his musical talent and his guitar playing, but his active stance on animal rights (that is something I truly share with the man) and his seemingly humble, good natured attitude and respectful manner. I've never heard the man slate anyone in all the years I have followed Queen or come across as bitter in anyway - he just seems like a decent, moral, empathetic man, who glows with goodness and positivity.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:37 pm

The Milkman wrote:Metallica are a bunch of douchebags. I can't believe they turned into money hungry corporate pigs. Yep, they'll probably be just like Brian when they're 70.

Well, considering Brian is a beautiful soul who actually gives a proper shit about animal rights and human harmony, I don't think what you state is a negative thing at all. At least he stands by his convictions and actually tries to make a difference...

...more than can be said for most people.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm

It's not too surprising to hear them say something like that, after all, we know they're longtime Queen fans.

I just hope I'm still alive at 70, so if I'm even remotely as cool as Brian by that point, that would be just an extra bonus. :cool:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:21 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:...

I just hope I'm still alive at 70, so if I'm even remotely as cool as Brian by that point, that would be just an extra bonus. :cool:

Ditto. The man is a wonder.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert