Suggestion for Q+AL studio album

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Suggestion for Q+AL studio album

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 am

QAL can do what they like. It doesn't interest me in the least, but if they wanna make an album, that's their business.

The only thing that would annoy me is it might delay other Queen projects.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 am

Leigh Burne wrote:QAL can do what they like. It doesn't interest me in the least, but if they wanna make an album, that's their business.

I agree. A QAL album would do nothing for me at all, but I am sure there would be a big enough market for it. As long as they keep it separate from all things Queen and as long as all the tracks are QAL and none include any Freddie vocals; there should be a clear distinction between Queen and QAL. Good luck to them though.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby icy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Leigh Burne wrote:QAL can do what they like. It doesn't interest me in the least, but if they wanna make an album, that's their business.

I agree. A QAL album would do nothing for me at all, but I am sure there would be a big enough market for it. As long as they keep it separate from all things Queen and as long as all the tracks are QAL and none include any Freddie vocals; there should be a clear distinction between Queen and QAL. Good luck to them though.

Are you sure that there would be a big enough market for a Q+AL album? I'm really unsure that there would be. I don't think it would sell as much as TCR honestly.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:21 pm

icy wrote:Are you sure that there would be a big enough market for a Q+AL album? I'm really unsure that there would be. I don't think it would sell as much as TCR honestly.

Definitely. I guarantee that a QAL album would outsell TCR (which surely has to be the weakest album with the name Queen on it. Ever.) by miles. TCR was a commercial failure, as well as a fan failure (many Queen fans did not take to QPR); whereas, QAL sell out their shows and Adam has won over many Queen fans in the last five years. Not for me, but I still think it would sell pretty damn well.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby icy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
icy wrote:Are you sure that there would be a big enough market for a Q+AL album? I'm really unsure that there would be. I don't think it would sell as much as TCR honestly.

Definitely. I guarantee that a QAL album would outsell TCR (which surely has to be the weakest album with the name Queen on it. Ever.) by miles. TCR was a commercial failure, as well as a fan failure (many Queen fans did not take to QPR); whereas, QAL sell out their shows and Adam has won over many Queen fans in the last five years. Not for me, but I still think it would sell pretty damn well.

I honestly liked...and still like some of TCR. Of course it doesn't come close to anything Queen did, hell, maybe not even close to a solo album from Brian and Roger. The songwriting was a bit of a mess on TCR...I can't see Q+AL album being any better in that regard. Brian's and Roger's songwriting isn't what it used to be, AL isn't even that good of a songwriter...so I cringe even thinking about the guys recording a studio album. If it were up to me, I'd rather release a live DVD/album of the past tours.
This is what I think. Concerts of Q+AL are one thing, if an album came along, of course that would be another. I don't know how many Queen fans AL won over would buy it...how many of those Queen fans have purchased AL solo albums?
I think if a studio album were to happen, AL would have more to lose than Brian and Roger.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby snifflese » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 pm

I don't think that Queen fans buying Adam's albums is at all the same as buying something with him singing Queen. Adam's music is not going to appeal to rock loving Queen fans for the most part. I am a big Adam fan, but for me, I love him singing Queen music. I really enjoy his music, but the voice is usually not front and center. With Queen you can't tackle it without the voice as an integral part of the music. The Queen catalog just allows his vocal to soar! I personally think sales would be huge, as people are loving the concert. Concerts keeps selling out and getting bigger. The DVD would esp. sell in the merchandise section during the show. I know I would want at least two! It might be something they should do in addition to releasing a show on DVD. I would love them to release both things.

That said I still would love a couple of new songs in addition to the ones that Adam already sings. You keep saying, Icy, that Brian and Roger can no longer write music and I was just wondering how you know that? You never know what might be left in those old bones!! It might just surprise you. They are two amazing old cookies!! I love them both and Adam, of course!

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Answering the original poster, I absolutely think an album of covers would be great by Q+AL. Considering its often thought that Runaway was the best studio track by Q+PR, in many ways I wish they have done an album of covers rather than TCR (although I liked the album a lot). I love the way Brian and Roger together 'Queenify' other people's songs, even to the extent that I prefer almost all of Q+PR's Free and Bad Company material to the original versions.

If they picked the right songs, Q+AL could cover some great stuff IMO.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Michael Allred wrote: I would LOVE to hear a proper studio recording of Roger singing his much loved "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin. It was a staple of his solo tours. 

Brian wandering onto stage at Roger's Electric Fire gig in Wolverhampton in 99 and then playing Rock'n'Roll is still right up there with my very best live experiences. Going from thoroughly enjoying a Roger solo gig to having Brian 10 feet in front of me playing the solo on Rock'n'Roll :biggrin: And my God, what a solo it was - I must dig out the bootleg!

You're right, a studio version would be AMAZING!

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm

snifflese wrote:You keep saying, Icy, that Brian and Roger can no longer write music and I was just wondering how you know that? You never know what might be left in those old bones!!!

I really hope they have one or two 'killer' songs left in them but the evidence from their output in all the different guises in recent times would suggest otherwise. At best, there's been some good stuff in amongst some dross...

I think its clear that Roger's songs benefitted strongly from going through the 'Queen machine' before making it to record, and I believe Brian's song-writing ambitions were fulfilled long ago.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:20 pm

snifflese wrote:I don't think that Queen fans buying Adam's albums is at all the same as buying something with him singing Queen. Adam's music is not going to appeal to rock loving Queen fans for the most part. I am a big Adam fan, but for me, I love him singing Queen music. I really enjoy his music, but the voice is usually not front and center. With Queen you can't tackle it without the voice as an integral part of the music. The Queen catalog just allows his vocal to soar! I personally think sales would be huge, as people are loving the concert. Concerts keeps selling out and getting bigger. The DVD would esp. sell in the merchandise section during the show. I know I would want at least two! It might be something they should do in addition to releasing a show on DVD. I would love them to release both things.

That said I still would love a couple of new songs in addition to the ones that Adam already sings. You keep saying, Icy, that Brian and Roger can no longer write music and I was just wondering how you know that? You never know what might be left in those old bones!! It might just surprise you. They are two amazing old cookies!! I love them both and Adam, of course!

You keep twisting what is in my posts. I've never said Brian and Roger can't write new music. I feel the best days of their song writing is behind them. Based on what they have written solo wise, and even what they wrote for TCR. I have a good chunk of the solo music through the years, and I also own TCR.
So yes, IMO, the best days of Brian and Roger song writing are gone. Brian has done cover songs with Kerry Ellis, so if a Q+AL album happens, I hope it won't be an album of covers. And I really hope Brian and Roger don't even think about putting Freddie's voice with AL's on an album, or rerecord some of the Queen catalogue with AL.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby snifflese » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Why would they want to put Freddie's voice on an album for QAL? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless it is that one section of Bo Rhap. I would want to hear what Adam sings with Queen, not a recording of Freddie. There are lots of those out there and as you guys always say, that is something entirely different than recording new or old with Adam. Freddie and Adam need to be kept separate. I hope this happens, whether it is old Queen songs that QAL does in the concerts or a couple of newly written songs specifically for QAL. I wouldn't want them to do covers of other artists, however.

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 pm

snifflese wrote:Why would they want to put Freddie's voice on an album for QAL? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless it is that one section of Bo Rhap. I would want to hear what Adam sings with Queen, not a recording of Freddie. There are lots of those out there and as you guys always say, that is something entirely different than recording new or old with Adam. Freddie and Adam need to be kept separate. I hope this happens, whether it is old Queen songs that QAL does in the concerts or a couple of newly written songs specifically for QAL. I wouldn't want them to do covers of other artists, however.

I wouldn't put anything past Brian and Roger. For example, appearances on Idol type shows, after they had so much to say about it.
If an album happened, put new music out there. Anything else would be a joke, IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:59 pm

icy wrote: I don't know how many Queen fans AL won over would buy it...how many of those Queen fans have purchased AL solo albums?

I'd totally buy it...and I've bought For Your Entertainment and The Original High, btw. :cool:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby icy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
icy wrote: I don't know how many Queen fans AL won over would buy it...how many of those Queen fans have purchased AL solo albums?

I'd totally buy it...and I've bought For Your Entertainment and The Original High, btw. :cool:

Same with those 2 albums :D
I still haven't purchased Trespassing. :lol:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:22 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:

I bought his first two albums after I had seen him with Queen. 8)

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert