Adam Lambert is celebrating Queen and Freddie...

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Adam Lambert is celebrating Queen and Freddie...

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:47 pm

JLP wrote:Completely agree with you. I rarely comment on the collaboration these days. To be fair, it has all been said. However giving so much credit for their current popularity to AL really islike throwing a live grenade into the mix. And when someone dares to disagree, they are attacked. I find it ironic that AL fans can criticise other people who sing Queen songs yet cannot stand even the mildest criticism of their idol.

I never criticized anybody singing Queen songs. I know, I can't do it better :lol: . But I get, what you mean. I get annoyed by some Adam-fans, too. Reading the same discussions by the same people on every second thread IS annoying. Maybe we should all think about that.

I would really like to hear more from longtime-Queen-fans, who attended shows.
And I don't agree, that "it has all been said". Because as long, as the collaboration goes on, there should be things to discuss.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby CNB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:47 pm

The enduring magic of Queen (Brian May)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-25/b ... en/9481428
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:54 pm

snifflese wrote:Of course Queen's catalog stands the test of time and it is their music that continues to be heard, but having the music once again getting out there and having more people exposed to it gives it new life. I don't remember reading much about Queen until they started touring again. When people see it on-line or on a building in a city, or hear an interview, their brain is jogged and they say Queen, their interest is piqued and they may go to the show or just have it in their brain again. I am certainly not thinking about the Beatles lately in spite of their great music. I think you need a mental jog to get your mind thinking about Queen's music. You people might always have it on your mind as you seem to be ultimate fans, but I don't think the average person is thinking about Queen every day. If there is no activity for a band, it doesn't sell or get out there like it does when they are touring and there is a buzz and lots of you tubes, etc. Has nothing to do with Adam really, this is what happens for any band. Why do you think singers are always touring and putting out music? It is so people don't forget them! Even a mega band needs publicity nowadays. Young folks are not putting much thought into old bands like Queen unless it is stuck in front of their noses.

I think a lot of this depends on where one lives too. In Europe and many other places across the globe Queen are a big deal and always present; whereas in The States they have never been given the respect they deserve and, hence, their profile is not that high. No real music fan on the planet would ever need a 'mental jog' to think about Queen, no more than they would to think about The Beatles (some bands reach such a legendsry status that they are constantly in the public eye in one shape or form).

As regards to young fans? Queen have always had a very diverse demographic of fans, from little kids to oldies - it has always been this way. Again, real music fans - no matter how old - know about Queen. Of course, in America it is different (they just don't 'get' Queen' and never really have...apart fromt he diehards, of course) but, thankfully, America is not the be all and end all regards music...Queen has the rest of the world.

So, yes, Adam has helped get that music back out in a live setting. And Queen have helped raise his profile greatly on a global scale. It truly has been a symbiotic relationship. And the shows are selling well. So all good. But the music is the reason these shows exist in the first place - without that it wouldn't matter who fronted them.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:09 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Each to their own, but the sentence highlighted is absolute bullshit. Queen's music has been generating a 'buzz' for the last 40-odd years; to state that without Adam Lambert the interest in the music would not be that great shows a total lack of knowledge about music in general. This is Queen, not some little boyband with a few hits and zero legacy.

I get that QAL appeals to some. I get that new life has been breathed into the band live-wise. But the music is the thing that is carrying them all; they certainly wouldn't sell half the tickets if it was QAL singing Adam's songs - the demand would just not be there (and I like the man...but truth is truth).

Adam is surely thankful that he has been given an opportunity of a lifetime to get his profile noticed on a global scale and to sing songs that are timeless. Brian and Roger are happy to get back out there and perform that wonderful music again. It's a win-win. But they do not need anyone to help generate any excitement about this extraordinary back catalogue (surely only second to The Beatles).

I agree with most of what you wrote. It should be clear, that it's the music, that carries QAL.
But only in the first place. The music the most important ingredient and is together with Brian and Roger the reason for most people to attend a concert.

My question is: What is the reason, that the show is as successful as it is? The audiences are even growing. And from my perspective, the audiences grow younger. An interesting observation is also, that that effect occurs especially, when people got to know Adam:
Here in Germany the tickets for the upcoming shows don't sell that well. I think, the reason are expensive tickets in combination with people not knowing, what to expect. Adam is not really known here. Queen-songs might be great. But that doesn't mean, music-lovers (=non Queen-fans) want to see them performed by anyone.
And if I remember it correctly, the ticket-sales in the UK 2015 really went up a notch after the TV appearance on New Year's Eve.
So Adam is a big factor for the current success of Queen+. And I would say, that he does help to generate a big excitement about Queen's music in the places, where QAL plays a concert. They are played more frequently on the radio there, they give interviews and bring Queen (back?) to people's minds. And some casual music-lovers become fans.
All in all, I think, they (QAL) do really help to bring Queen to the younger generation. Something that The Beatles have not. The Beatles do have a great catalogue of music. But what will happen, when their old fans have all left? I had an interesting dicussion with my Mom last year, when she went to see Paul McCartney. She (69) said, she felt like she had just visited a retirement home (she loved the concert though). That's something, that is not happening to Queen by now and I think, that it's also a reason, that Queen is surpassing The Beatles in sales in the UK (if I'm not mistaken here).
P.S. The credit should go to Brian, Roger and Adam (no, I'm not only talking about AL).

I do not doubt for a second that Adam has rejuvenated the band. This whole collaboration really has given them a shot in the arm, so to speak (and I really do believe that Freddie would be up about all of this - he wanted this music out there, alive, touching people, living on). I think the shows are a success primarily because of the music, but, of course, Adam really helps too. I think, yes, he does appeal to a younger audience in general and, yes, he definitely has brought new fans to the band; but this music will live on one way or another regardless (same as The Beatles or Abba or any other band of this status).

So, I agree that QAL is a success and that Adam has given the band and the music in a live setting a kick up the arse. I just do not agree that Queen's music does not generate that much interest anymore.

And I have no issues with fans like yourself (decent, courteous, mature, open-minded) having different opinions about all of this: you are more entitled to your views and should be free to express them whenever you wish (it's the nutters who think that Adam has saved this little old band and who post videos on Youtube muting Freddie's moments who are the complete morons). :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby JLP » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
JLP wrote:Completely agree with you. I rarely comment on the collaboration these days. To be fair, it has all been said. However giving so much credit for their current popularity to AL really islike throwing a live grenade into the mix. And when someone dares to disagree, they are attacked. I find it ironic that AL fans can criticise other people who sing Queen songs yet cannot stand even the mildest criticism of their idol.

I never criticized anybody singing Queen songs. I know, I can't do it better :lol: . But I get, what you mean. I get annoyed by some Adam-fans, too. Reading the same discussions by the same people on every second thread IS annoying. Maybe we should all think about that.

I would really like to hear more from longtime-Queen-fans, who attended shows.
And I don't agree, that "it has all been said". Because as long, as the collaboration goes on, there should be things to discuss.

To be honest, I was not referring to you. It was specifically someone else who jumps onto someone inparticular.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby icy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:12 pm

snifflese wrote:Of course Queen's catalog stands the test of time and it is their music that continues to be heard, but having the music once again getting out there and having more people exposed to it gives it new life. I don't remember reading much about Queen until they started touring again. When people see it on-line or on a building in a city, or hear an interview, their brain is jogged and they say Queen, their interest is piqued and they may go to the show or just have it in their brain again. I am certainly not thinking about the Beatles lately in spite of their great music. I think you need a mental jog to get your mind thinking about Queen's music. You people might always have it on your mind as you seem to be ultimate fans, but I don't think the average person is thinking about Queen every day. If there is no activity for a band, it doesn't sell or get out there like it does when they are touring and there is a buzz and lots of you tubes, etc. Has nothing to do with Adam really, this is what happens for any band. Why do you think singers are always touring and putting out music? It is so people don't forget them! Even a mega band needs publicity nowadays. Young folks are not putting much thought into old bands like Queen unless it is stuck in front of their noses.

Queen's music has never gone away. I know it's used in many UK tv adverts, and even adverts in North America, and it's still being used on TV shows and films, sporting events, it's simply never been out the public eye since I became a fan and that was after Freddie passed away.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Mother Mercury » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:23 pm

As a longtime fan, it's a really tough one. Yes, it's good to see them still out there playing those amazing songs and putting on a big show to new fans, especially at their age. I think the legacy is intact and people generally accept that it's a celebration of the band and they're (thankfully) not pushing anything new.

But at the same time, I have no desire to actually buy a ticket. Of course AL has a phenomenal voice, no one can seriously dispute that. All credit to him for having the sheer balls to take on that role and sing those songs as well as he does.
The trouble is, it all comes back to Freddie. I watch my blu-rays and listen to the albums and it hits me more than ever - the man was, and still is, simply untouchable.

The day he died I thought he was irreplaceable, and I still truly believe that.
Last edited by Mother Mercury on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mother Mercury
Spread Your Wings

Postby snifflese » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:24 pm

Well, JLP, I think you are also missing my point. I honestly don't care if people like or dislike the QAL collab. At one point everyone here pretty much hated it. Now more folks have gotten used to it and seem to be happy just hearing the music again. My issue is with someone who always pretends that she is a QAL or Adam fan and then has nothing but negative things to say (other than the token bone about Save Me), but she is pretty much positive about all other singers and music posted. She chimes in when the people who don't like him have things to say and "favorites" what they say and this in not the only place. I have no problem with that, but do not pretend that you are a middle of the road fan. I know the folks who dislike QAL and Adam singing with them and they don't pretend to be anyone else. I respect them, but she won't own up to the fact she really likes very little about this. That is what drives me nuts.

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:28 pm

*Reality Check*

In the days of QPR, this place was full of Paul's fans saying similar things to what the Lambert fans are saying now. He left Brian and Roger, the Paul fans left QOL immediately. Here's what will happen to QAL; Brian will get depressed again and pull the plug on this whole thing and bury himself in stereo pictures of badgers and daffodils and the Lambert fans will be nowhere to be seen on QOL. They aren't Queen fans, they know absolutely nothing about the band, or the music and they will run back to Lambert On Line (LOL) as fast as their middle aged hairy legs can get them there.

Please don't bother to argue with me on this, I am right and you know it. :)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:33 pm

snifflese wrote:Well, JLP, I think you are also missing my point. I honestly don't care if people like or dislike the QAL collab. At one point everyone here pretty much hated it. Now more folks have gotten used to it and seem to be happy just hearing the music again. My issue is with someone who always pretends that she is a QAL or Adam fan and then has nothing but negative things to say (other than the token bone about Save Me), but she is pretty much positive about all other singers and music posted. She chimes in when the people who don't like him have things to say and "favorites" what they say and this in not the only place. I have no problem with that, but do not pretend that you are a middle of the road fan. I know the folks who dislike QAL and Adam singing with them and they don't pretend to be anyone else. I respect them, but she won't own up to the fact she really likes very little about this. That is what drives me nuts.

It's called free speech.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby icy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 pm

snifflese wrote:Well, JLP, I think you are also missing my point. I honestly don't care if people like or dislike the QAL collab. At one point everyone here pretty much hated it. Now more folks have gotten used to it and seem to be happy just hearing the music again. My issue is with someone who always pretends that she is a QAL or Adam fan and then has nothing but negative things to say (other than the token bone about Save Me), but she is pretty much positive about all other singers and music posted. She chimes in when the people who don't like him have things to say and "favorites" what they say and this in not the only place. I have no problem with that, but do not pretend that you are a middle of the road fan. I know the folks who dislike QAL and Adam singing with them and they don't pretend to be anyone else. I respect them, but she won't own up to the fact she really likes very little about this. That is what drives me nuts.

Oh dear.
Why every tour does how much I'm a not a fan in some people's eyes always be thrown around?
Token bone? Even my liking, actually really liking AL singing Save Me isn't good enough for you? I have my own reasons as to why I like AL singing it.
My liking other artists and other covers of Queen songs is a problem? That should prove then that I'm not always negative then.
It's pretty much obvious for you that I have to like every last detail about Q+AL or nothing at all, and then my views could just might be more valid to you. I'm not the all or nothing kind of person to begin with.
I've often said what I liked and don't like about these shows, and things could be possibly be better if things were different. That's honestly how I feel. I'm allowed to say how I feel, it's not breaking any rules here whatsoever, no matter how much my comments drive you nuts.
Well, I'm not going to change my views for you. Only the music can do that.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby snifflese » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Bit FD, this is QAL, not a Queen thread. Some people just want to discuss that as they may not have much knowledge about Queen. Why would we post in there? Once QAL ceases to exist, there would be no reason to post here obviously. That doesn't make sense to me to dislike people who leave the site once their interest is gone. If they posted all the time in the Queen threads, I guess that might make sense, but I doubt they do.

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm

fairydandy wrote:*Reality Check*

In the days of QPR, this place was full of Paul's fans saying similar things to what the Lambert fans are saying now. He left Brian and Roger, the Paul fans left QOL immediately. Here's what will happen to QAL; Brian will get depressed again and pull the plug on this whole thing and bury himself in stereo pictures of badgers and daffodils and the Lambert fans will be nowhere to be seen on QOL. They aren't Queen fans, they know absolutely nothing about the band, or the music and they will run back to Lambert On Line (LOL) as fast as their middle aged hairy legs can get them there.

Please don't bother to argue with me on this, I am right and you know it. :)

:lol: :lol: to everything except the Brian will get depressed again.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby fairydandy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:57 pm

snifflese wrote:Bit FD, this is QAL, not a Queen thread. Some people just want to discuss that as they may not have much knowledge about Queen. Why would we post in there? Once QAL ceases to exist, there would be no reason to post here obviously. That doesn't make sense to me to dislike people who leave the site once their interest is gone. If they posted all the time in the Queen threads, I guess that might make sense, but I doubt they do.

Who mentioned 'dislike'? I don't dislike anyone.

I just don't see why you can't have a thread on LOL for this sort of thing? I think the truth of the matter is that you really need the long time fans to say that they like him. My knowledge on the band is low to moderate, but I am as big a fan as you can get and I am prepared to say that it's not for me (over and over, it's a game to me). But look at the super-knowledgeable Queen fans on here, they don't even mention him at all. He's not going to get the recognition that you all seek. Sorry. I don't think anyone actually gives a damn.
Last edited by fairydandy on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:00 pm

icy wrote: :lol: :lol: to everything except the Brian will get depressed again.

He's hinted at it again. Instead of a stereo photo of his exercise bike, we got 'treated' to a video of a boat cutting through the waves with the caption, 'Bin fightin' the blues. And Losin'. I almost wanted to jump overboard, or at least throw him overboard.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert