New interview: Adam about touring with Queen

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

New interview: Adam about touring with Queen

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:11 pm

I found this extended new interview with Adam very interesting:
Adam talks about his „sensational 5-year tour with Queen“ (title of the interview by Lorraine/UK-TV). I got some new insights. :) He is asked about the speech („he’s no Freddie“) and also talks about forgetting lyrics... ;)
phpBB [video]

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Re: New interview: Adam about touring with Queen

Postby Nicki79 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Another new interview with Adam was released today. brianmaycom provided the link on twitter. I copied the part, where Adam talks about Queen and QAL. The link to the whole thing is at the bottom.

Adam Lambert
The Show must go on

It’s 2015, my 21st birthday and I’m stood in London’s O2 arena about to experience what will turn out to be one of my favourite shows of all time. Beer in hand, lighter ready to wave in the air, the lights go down and within seconds the whole crowd is singing along to every word.

The band I’m seeing is Queen + Adam Lambert. A collaboration between the British rock legends and the American singer, the collab first began back in 2009 when the then-26-year-old Adam appeared on American Idol. “I auditioned for American Idol about nine years ago with ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ and I found out that they [Brian May and Roger Taylor] saw that performance online.” He tells me on the phone from LA. “As I progressed on the show, they’d been keeping up with me and then they were on the finale, so that’s kind of when we first performed live together. It was like this sense of – I don’t know if I realised it at the time – but there was an instant comfort and connection to them.”

Placing second on American Idol (side note: he was robbed), Adam dropped his debut album For Your Entertainment later that same year and kept in touch with Brian and Roger throughout. Two years later they asked him to join them to perform a special Queen medley at the 2011 MTV EMA, which then turned into a handful of shows in the UK and Europe and then the rest “sort of snowballed into bigger and bigger tours” over the following years, all whilst balancing his solo career throughout. And you thought you had a busy week, eh?
“At the beginning of working with Queen I was completely intimidated by the idea!” Adam laughs. “I was like ‘What? Are you serious? You guys really want me to do this?’ I was intimidated by what fans would say and probably expect of me. Being in the shadow of Freddie Mercury is kind of a mind-fuck, you know? But over the years, I got comfortable with the show and the set of songs. I went from being intimidated and freaking the fuck out to feeling like it was an honour to continue carrying on a torch for the band and for a man who was so ahead of his time and who was taken from us way too soon. These songs they wrote are timeless and I feel like it’s a real treat to bring that to fans everywhere.”
The role that Adam has taken on as the vocalist for Queen has not been one he’s taken lightly. Although he has one of the most incredible voices in pop and a range that would make Beyonce jealous, he’s singing the songs that the most gifted vocalist to ever walk this earth has performed. “I knew that it would be confusing for an audience, and even for me as a singer, because I don’t want to imitate Freddie but at the same time I can’t get too far away from the original recording because I fell in love with it just like the fans did.” He explains. “I was trying to figure out ‘okay, maybe, this isn’t what he did with his voice but it’s the same intention on an emotional place or a storytelling place and let’s look at that from what I’m doing on stage.’ That’s been a really interesting study.”

“I think it’s had a pretty positive reception.” He continues. “I’m just honoured to be up there and like I’ve said over and over again, I’m just a fan just like the people in the audience! So it’s been like, ‘hey, let’s just enjoy this music and let’s celebrate Brian May and Roger Taylor who were part of the best rock band of all time getting to do what they were born to do!”

And celebrate you should, because seeing Queen + Adam perform is an experience like no other. Making it totally his own, Adam is a flawless performer who is unapologetically himself. This is a trait that he also maintains off-stage. [...]

Link: http://www.wonderlandmagazine.com/2018/ ... m-lambert/

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Nicki79 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:45 pm

There is a new, long interview, in which Adam talks about his work with Queen, the upcoming movie, he is asked to characterize Brian and talks about his solo-music and other things. http://www.nme.com/blogs/simon-cowell-m ... DkLey87.99

Here are a few outtakes, that I found interesting and concern Queen:

It’s interesting what you said about being exposed to middle America, because Queen were massively camp in a time when it was more taboo to be out and gay. You wonder how this incredibly camp, pretty obviously gay music connected with such a mainstream audience in the late ‘70s

Adam Lambert: “Well, yeah, but it was almost in fashion to be [sexually] ambiguous in the ’70s. It was cool to be effeminate, androgynous. Is he? Isn’t he? That was all very rock ‘n’ roll. Bowie was doing it. Freddie, Mick Jagger. It was a product of the time. People were post-free-love’60s. There was a lot of partying going on, a lot of sex, a lot of rock ‘n’ roll. Then the Reagan administration came in. Everything was every conservative, with reforms like The War On Drugs. And then AIDS hit; everyone freaked the fuck out. It made all of that very dangerous and very wrong. Everyone clammed up quite a lot. Look at George Michael – he was fighting it his whole career.”

Bowie and the Stones felt countercultural in a way that Queen didn’t, though

“With Queen in particular I think there was something very coy and clever about it. Freddie was flirting with the taboo of [his sexuality]. It was taboo in the media; they were a little scared of it. A rock fan didn’t even want to face it, didn’t want to question it. There were songs that were whimsical and silly and flamboyant, but [the band] would balance it with a hard-rock banger.”

About the upcoming film "Bohemian Rhapsody":
What did you think about the controversy around Sasha Baron Cohen’s departure from the project? He claimed the band were too involved, and had tried to manipulate the narrative

“I mean, how would you feel if you’d lost a job? [Cackles] You’re bound to say all sorts of things.”

He said they wanted Freddie to die halfway through, and then the movie would be about how they continued to thrive without him

“I don’t know, I wasn’t there. I don’t how it went down. Again, how would you feel if you lost a job? You’re bound to say anything.”

Some people have claimed that the trailer is guilty of ‘heterosexual-washing’ Freddie…

“The trailer? How can a trailer…?”

… And playing down his sexuality. We don’t really see Freddie with a man, for example

“I saw him with a man. At the piano.”

The official Fox office synopsis says it’s about him dealing with a “life threatening illness”, but shies away from saying that that life-threatening illness was AIDS

“I haven’t seen it, and it’s not my film. I would like to wait and see the film until I have an opinion on that. Not a trailer. It’s a little bit jumping to conclusions, isn’t it?”

About Brian and Roger:
Finally: how would you sum up Brian May?
“He’s a thinker and a feeler. He likes to tune into the heart of things whether it’s emotional or scientific. He’s hyper focussed on the feeling he wants to achieve. He takes a minute. He’s not impulsive. Roger’s fiery and impulsive. He’s a drummer; he’s flashy and glam. He’s very rock n’ roll that way. They compliment each other really well. They were the original founding members before Freddie. They have been so open for me and warm. We’ve become a family and we trust each other.”

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby TheHero » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 pm

phpBB [video]

How it all began.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert