Q+AL: "The Crown Jewels" Las Vegas - Sept.2018

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Q+AL: "The Crown Jewels" Las Vegas - Sept.2018

Postby fairydandy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:35 am

sharon20 wrote:And you really can't compare the WWRY show to seeing half the original band, much as I'm sure you'll argue it's more like the WWRY show, but I've seen both live so I know the difference.

Well, I have watched enough of the videos of him screeching to know that it's not that much different to the WWRY shows. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the leads at the WWRY shows were actually better singers than him.

I saw Queen many times. I have no desire these days to see Brian and Roger play live as I have seen that many times too. Curiously, one of the best Queen related events I ever attended was Freddie's 60th at the Dominion. The atmosphere was electric, it was packed with wall to wall Queen fans and it was great. But...well, there's only so many times you can do these things before they become boring and to me QAL is very high on the bore-o-meter. :roll: It's rather like going to Brian's website and seeing those idiotic videos of him cycling on that fucking exercise bike....and for some unknown reason the videos he shows are not played once, but keep rotating on a fucking loop.

Have a nice day....

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:50 pm

I am sure Brian, Roger and Adam ain't going to be crying over one old fan not liking them. Thankfully, they have a whole new army of fans now.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Oh...I was a little confused by what you were saying, fairydandy...I guess I didn't realize you think someone can only be a fan of one band and no others.

And, nice unwarranted and irrelevant "fat-bashing" too. Classy as usual!

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby sharon20 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:43 pm

fairydandy wrote:
sharon20 wrote:And you really can't compare the WWRY show to seeing half the original band, much as I'm sure you'll argue it's more like the WWRY show, but I've seen both live so I know the difference.

It was packed with wall to wall Queen fans and it was great. But...well, there's only so many times you can do these things before they become boring and to me QAL is very high on the bore-o-meter. :roll: It's rather like going to Brian's website and seeing those idiotic videos of him cycling on that fucking exercise bike....and for some unknown reason the videos he shows are not played once, but keep rotating on a fucking loop.

Have a nice day....

We'll disagree on the singing. Not expecting you to like them, just don't see the point of bashing something that clearly makes a lot of people including Brian & Roger happy. It's not the same but then I don't expect it to be, it is what it is but it definitely wasn't boring. And yeah those vids do loop, it's instagram, you only get around 15 seconds and it goes back to the beginning, very annoying, I wish they'd make it so it stops after playing.

And thanks I did have a nice day!!

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:I am sure Brian, Roger and Adam ain't going to be crying over one old fan not liking them. Thankfully, they have a whole new army of fans now.

I need them about as much as they need me. That's to say, not at all. I met Brian a few times and I have to say I didn't really like him. I wouldn't even want to meet Roger to be honest, he strikes me as a right twat.

It's no problem is it, I mean they have had their day, I have had mine too.....yeah, I'm kind of old, but it's not an issue. People like me have clung on for like 45 years now, celebrating a group that was around for like 18 years...now I'm supposed to like the fact that some fat American is singing karaoke with them? I honestly couldn't care less. I still cling to the hope that I will get more Freddie and who knows, maybe I will, but Lambert is totally meaningless in every way.

I just enjoy slagging him off, it's kind of fun to me after a hard day at work... ;-)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby dave4343palace » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 am

I kind of empathise with many of these different views.

I'm just returning from Vegas having travelled there from the UK to see two Q+AL concerts (and get married, as it happens :P ).

I've seen Q+AL multiple times with family (three generations of Queen fanatics) and friends, tying in many fantastic overseas trips in the process. Often huge investment from my side, but well worth every penny as I've had some truly amazing times that wouldn't have happened otherwise and I get to see Brian and Roger live... which never fails to give me an amazing buzz no matter now many times it happens (and I've completely lost count over the years). When Brian goes for it live, it still takes me somewhere I never experience anywhere else... and I unashamedly feel really lucky for that. And when Roger is behind him, the magic is still there for me.

I take the Q+AL concerts for what they are, and have long got over the disappointment of the set lists etc. I can't stand AL for parts of the proceedings (the Freddie speech, Bicycle Race, Killer Queen and all the other piss taking moments)... but they are all good opportunities for bar/toilet breaks and I can also fully appreciate his qualities for other parts of the concerts. We have great nights out, usually surrounded by great people no matter what country we're in (as with the odd poster on here, there's been the occasional Glambert looney, but its usually a good blend of Queen fans and normal people wanting to hear great music). I absolutely want Brian and Roger to carry for as long as they can perform to this standard, and if AL is the vehicle then all well and good (and lets face it, he will be their last singer).

I was a huge fan of Q+PR and was once again lucky enough to see them live multiple times. I can't really compare the incarnations as I took Q+PR as a proper collaboration with a proper singer up front... and I LOVED the way the Free and Bad Company songs were 'Queenified'. I've read the bollocks on here in recent times that apparently Q+PR was a failure, which is total rubbish. From my extensive experience, the reaction at the end of Q+PR concerts was just as good as Q+AL and apart from the ill judged 2006 US tour, Q+PR filled pretty much the same venues as Q+AL in 2005 and then again in 2008.

For me, Q+AL is what it is. And I can understand the comparisons to the WWRY musical in terms of AL's performances, but not at all in terms of the quality of musicianship (let alone the production etc).

For what its worth, IMO the sound at the Park Theatre was definitely the best of all the arenas and stadiums I've seen them play in. Absolutely fabulous venue and fully recommend it to anyone lucky enough to go there in the future.

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:27 am

Dave, congratulations! :D :bigups:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Echoplex » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:19 pm

dave4343palace wrote:I kind of empathise with many of these different views.

I'm just returning from Vegas having travelled there from the UK to see two Q+AL concerts (and get married, as it happens :P ).

I've seen Q+AL multiple times with family (three generations of Queen fanatics) and friends, tying in many fantastic overseas trips in the process. Often huge investment from my side, but well worth every penny as I've had some truly amazing times that wouldn't have happened otherwise and I get to see Brian and Roger live... which never fails to give me an amazing buzz no matter now many times it happens (and I've completely lost count over the years). When Brian goes for it live, it still takes me somewhere I never experience anywhere else... and I unashamedly feel really lucky for that. And when Roger is behind him, the magic is still there for me.

I take the Q+AL concerts for what they are, and have long got over the disappointment of the set lists etc. I can't stand AL for parts of the proceedings (the Freddie speech, Bicycle Race, Killer Queen and all the other piss taking moments)... but they are all good opportunities for bar/toilet breaks and I can also fully appreciate his qualities for other parts of the concerts. We have great nights out, usually surrounded by great people no matter what country we're in (as with the odd poster on here, there's been the occasional Glambert looney, but its usually a good blend of Queen fans and normal people wanting to hear great music). I absolutely want Brian and Roger to carry for as long as they can perform to this standard, and if AL is the vehicle then all well and good (and lets face it, he will be their last singer).

I was a huge fan of Q+PR and was once again lucky enough to see them live multiple times. I can't really compare the incarnations as I took Q+PR as a proper collaboration with a proper singer up front... and I LOVED the way the Free and Bad Company songs were 'Queenified'. I've read the bollocks on here in recent times that apparently Q+PR was a failure, which is total rubbish. From my extensive experience, the reaction at the end of Q+PR concerts was just as good as Q+AL and apart from the ill judged 2006 US tour, Q+PR filled pretty much the same venues as Q+AL in 2005 and then again in 2008.

For me, Q+AL is what it is. And I can understand the comparisons to the WWRY musical in terms of AL's performances, but not at all in terms of the quality of musicianship (let alone the production etc).

For what its worth, IMO the sound at the Park Theatre was definitely the best of all the arenas and stadiums I've seen them play in. Absolutely fabulous venue and fully recommend it to anyone lucky enough to go there in the future.

Interesting view of the current arrangement.

As a long standing Queen fan and fan of Free and Bad co I was really excited at the idea of those live shows, which I enjoyed. But my experience of seeing a number of Q+PR was that although good, it at times seemed like two different camps getting on in a rehearsed business kind of way. On several nights Paul seemed to put more effort into performing his songs, the use of Jamie Mosses kind of changed the musical dynamic and dare I say resulted in Brian playing differently to how he used to.

The US tour didn't sell period (ill judged) can sound like an excuse. Queen's drawing power had diminished in 82 in the States, Rodgers too by the 2000's, if not before. The U.K.dates on both tours soldier in most venues if not came close in others, Europe sold well too, but not as well. The stage production on those tours didn't look very Queen like and was put together with obvious budget constraints.

Fast forward to Q+AL, they sell huge amounts of tickets world wide, the shows are very much in the Queen tradition, big scale banks of colour with lights arranged vertically or overhead in close vertical or horizontal arrangements,bad Queen tradition. What they have now is a brilliant contemporary version of a Queen show.

Also like him or loath him Lambert has connected with the audience, and together they produced more of a spectacle then the Q+PR shows did. Brian seems to have found a new lease of life in his playing, being free of a second guitar maybe. His playing certainly sounds more like he used to live than he did with the Rodgers lineup.

You're sound observation about the Park Theatre is spot on, a smaller room than an arena will almost always sound better, a property designed theatre want have bare brick or concrete it won't have an 80 foot high ceiling for sound to escape into then bounce back of steel roof panels and the back row won't be two hundred plus feet from the stage.

The Vegas shows must be amazing to witness as the show was designed for venues twice the size or bigger. I remember the impact they had in 79 on the crazy tour with a slightly scaled down arena show!

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby Craftalefan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Coming over from the UK for the last two shows , is there any sort of meet ups with fellow fans before the concerts?

Craftalefan
Spread Your Wings

Postby dave4343palace » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Craftalefan wrote:Coming over from the UK for the last two shows , is there any sort of meet ups with fellow fans before the concerts?

We got into conversation with many different fans in the Queen shop in the venue :D

Have a great time. Assuming you are into Q+AL, the quality venue will ensure you are in for a real treat...

dave4343palace
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:02 pm

So, after QAL had the week off, they played two shows this weekend and changed the setlist! Ha. But before you get exited: They „only“ added „I want to break free“. I don’t know, if the rest stayed the same or if another song is scratched? Has anyone seen a setlist from this weekend?

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Peavy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:45 am

Nicki79 wrote:So, after QAL had the week off, they played two shows this weekend and changed the setlist! Ha. But before you get exited: They „only“ added „I want to break free“. I don’t know, if the rest stayed the same or if another song is scratched? Has anyone seen a setlist from this weekend?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queen-ad ... 98079.html

This is the setlist of Friday.

Don't think they'll change more than something minor like this...

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby slightlymad1970 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:14 am

Wow this run of shows seems to have flown by. By all accounts they have sold very well although we have yet to see official ticket sales / boxscore. The availability of the 3 remaining shows is below, hopefully at least 2 of the remaining 3 shows should sell out!

19/09/2018 - 27 Tickets Available
21/09/2018 - 409 Tickets Available
22/09/2018 - 98 Tickets Available

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby slightlymad1970 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 am

slightlymad1970 wrote:Wow this run of shows seems to have flown by. By all accounts they have sold very well although we have yet to see official ticket sales / boxscore. The availability of the 3 remaining shows is below, hopefully at least 2 of the remaining 3 shows should sell out!

A quick update on the 3 remaining shows

19/09/2018 - 27 Tickets Available (3 Tickets Remaining)
21/09/2018 - 409 Tickets Available (178 Tickets Remaining)
22/09/2018 - 98 Tickets Available (26 Tickets Remaining)

It's looking highly likely that we will get the boxscore results once the residency is complete......hopefully :-D

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby AngelR » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:12 am

slightlymad1970 wrote:
slightlymad1970 wrote:Wow this run of shows seems to have flown by. By all accounts they have sold very well although we have yet to see official ticket sales / boxscore. The availability of the 3 remaining shows is below, hopefully at least 2 of the remaining 3 shows should sell out!

A quick update on the 3 remaining shows

19/09/2018 - 27 Tickets Available (3 Tickets Remaining)
21/09/2018 - 409 Tickets Available (178 Tickets Remaining)
22/09/2018 - 98 Tickets Available (26 Tickets Remaining)

It's looking highly likely that we will get the boxscore results once the residency is complete......hopefully :-D

Thank you for the updates. Looks like yet another success tour then, especially considering the prices reaching nearly $1000 per ticket!

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert