Queen and Adam Lambert in June

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby AngelR » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:59 am

Peavy wrote:Haha, let's see if there's a difference - I was also in Munich last time, but afair the audience was really loud there, biggest positive reaction from the crowd I saw at Olympiahalle so far besides Roger Waters last week.

Looking forward to the show today! Have to catch the train... :D


Hurry up, there are fans already queueing up since 5am this morning :)
 
AngelR
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby AngelR » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 am

Nicki79 wrote:
AngelR wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:So, after Germany lost in the football world championship :roll: , I wanted to listen to the live stream of the QAL-show in Oslo. Found out, they started early today, but the sound is nice and clear.
http://mixlr.com/queenieno/

Commiserations, Nicki! We are all surprised Germany lost. :shock:
Have great time tomorrow. I heard that Berlin shows are the best in Germany.

Thank you! The German team played bad enough, I wasn’t surprised by that outcome. :?
And yes, I‘m really looking forward to the show tomorrow! :) I don’t think, that the audience in Berlin is special.
But Adam is usually in a great mood: he loves the city, since he had stayed here for almost half a year in 2003 ( he played in the musical „Hair“), when he was 21. Coming from the US, he really and completely enjoyed the free spirited life here. He left the US as a blond, innocent and inexperienced young man and came home as a black haired guy with a new clothing style, who wasn’t innocent any longer and whom his friends and parents barely recognized. He loves Berlin. And you can see it every time, when he performs here. The shows have some extra kick. I hope, it will stay this way! :lol:
And I will be able to compare the audience as well: I‘ve seen QAL now in Berlin (2015), Cologne (2016), Prague, Munich, Wembley (all 2017) and now again in Berlin. I think, the best audience so far was Munich. Maybe, that will change tomorrow. :biggrin:

Interesting insight, Nicki! We will find out tonight if your theory about 'extra kick' is right :D
 
AngelR
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby Peavy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am

AngelR wrote:
Peavy wrote:Haha, let's see if there's a difference - I was also in Munich last time, but afair the audience was really loud there, biggest positive reaction from the crowd I saw at Olympiahalle so far besides Roger Waters last week.

Looking forward to the show today! Have to catch the train... :D


Hurry up, there are fans already queueing up since 5am this morning :)


Lol what?!
 
Peavy
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 pm
Location: Munich, GE
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby AngelR » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:30 am

Peavy wrote:
AngelR wrote:
Peavy wrote:Haha, let's see if there's a difference - I was also in Munich last time, but afair the audience was really loud there, biggest positive reaction from the crowd I saw at Olympiahalle so far besides Roger Waters last week.

Looking forward to the show today! Have to catch the train... :D


Hurry up, there are fans already queueing up since 5am this morning :)


Lol what?!


The girl who turned up at 5:06 am was the 10th in the queue about 8 hours ago, accordingly to twitter. :lol:
 
AngelR
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby Peavy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:39 am

AngelR wrote:
Peavy wrote:
AngelR wrote:
Hurry up, there are fans already queueing up since 5am this morning :)


Lol what?!


The girl who turned up at 5:06 was the 10th in the queue about 8 hours ago, accordingly to twitter. :lol:


Which queue? Sorry, don't know what you are talking about. Queuing up for what? I have a ticket and will go there in the evening...are you lining up to get as close as possible to the stage when they let you in??
 
Peavy
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 pm
Location: Munich, GE
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby AngelR » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:59 am

Peavy wrote:
AngelR wrote:
Peavy wrote:Lol what?!


The girl who turned up at 5:06 was the 10th in the queue about 8 hours ago, accordingly to twitter. :lol:


Which queue? Sorry, don't know what you are talking about. Queuing up for what? I have a ticket and will go there in the evening...are you lining up to get as close as possible to the stage when they let you in??

Talking about the General Admission folks...they have to queue up to enter. If you have a seat you can relax of course and turn up when you like. :)
 
AngelR
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby Nicki79 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm still alive! The Show in Berlin yesterday was the best I've seen !!!!! The band, the audience, everybody was up to a great party. The audience loved to sing, and the band really enjoyed the gig. I had a great time, got to the barrier and I'm still completely pumped (one day later). I checked my pictures and the few videos, I've taken today. I need to get some sleep though, since the last night was more than short. :lol:
I might come back to write a recap tomorrow.
Some pics (I don't know, how to post them here, so here are the links) and videos. They might not be the greatest, but they are mine. :)
http://twitter.com/Nimili79/status/1009225003609546752
http://twitter.com/Nimili79/status/1009438733177950208
http://twitter.com/Nimili79/status/1009452025229271040
http://twitter.com/Nimili79/status/1009439825198534656

Under Pressure
phpBB [video]

Love of my Life
phpBB [video]

Who wants to live forever
phpBB [video]

Somebody to love / Lucy / We are the Champions (short snippets of each song)
phpBB [video]
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby Peavy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 am

I also enjoyed the show in Berlin A LOT! :D I'm so happy to have finally been able to see (and especially HEAR) those two music legends live, now even for the second time! The veeeery long applause for those two just after Adam talked about them...such a great feeling to see how appreciated and loved they are. The Red Special sound to me is one of the most beautiful things ever I can listen to and hearing it for 2 hours live is just a pure joy.

The setlist changes were nice and welcome, especially seeing them last year already. "The Show Must Go On" live was great, but to me "I Want It All" kinda was the highlight of the show in both Munich and Berlin - what a brilliant live song and what a shame we never got to hear it with the original line-up! "Love Of My Life" was again magic, I always liked Brian just sitting down with an acoustic, talking a little bit with the audience, in this case a little bit German (in Munich even a little bavarian^^) and then singing with the audience...and the ending with Freddie is just the pure magic.

Adam did a great job again and especially in "Who Wants To Live Forever" he is just amazing...damn, can that guy sing! He doesn't have the most powerful and special voice imo, but damn, can he sing! I agree that some of the jokes seem a little silly being THAT scripted (almost identical everything to Munich), but that's just a minor thing.

The production and stage was again amazing...to me the most impressive show so far in that regard besides Roger Waters. The opening with Frank, Brian's solo, the stage being "Red Special sized", all the many and beautiful lights, lasers etc. and the wonderful ending...they really give you something special.

After the show outside of the arena on the way to the train, there was someone playing his own version of "Too Much Love Will Kill You" with guitar, really nice. I'm really glad that I'll now listen to Brian's solo albums after finally giving Freddie's albums a lot of time lately, especially since Brian's are still almost completely new to me. :D

Overall, a wonderful concert, and I hope for sure not the last time I've seen them, but I'm optimistic - don't see them ending this anytime soon, as long as there are no health problems.
I'd also like some Blu-ray release finally...with PR there were two, with AL none so far...this tour should definitely get one...maybe the Vegas shows.
 
Peavy
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 pm
Location: Munich, GE
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby Nicki79 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:35 pm

A new interview for Irish TV. A little longer and some nice, new background information (for me).
phpBB [video]
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby Nicki79 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Almost the whole show from Berlin.
From the description: „This is a collaboration between two fans. Ivka loves Adam Lambert and Queen and kindly agreed to film the whole Berlin concert. Mr.Scully hates Adam Lambert but loves Queen so he agreed to supply his audio track. This is the result.“ :lol: It’s great!
phpBB [video]
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby cmsdrums » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Peavy wrote:I'd also like some Blu-ray release finally...with PR there were two, with AL none so far...this tour should definitely get one...maybe the Vegas shows.


There were actually three official video releases with PR - Return of the Champions, Super Live in Japan and Live in Ukraine.
 
cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 am
Location: Kent ,UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:24 am

Here is a review from the Show in Berlin (not mine). It's written by a Queen fan and I found it a really good and realistic one. It's not only a review of this particular show, but also of a QAL-concert as such. Here is my translation ("google translator" helped, I tried to smooth it up). They also have some nice pictures on their site.

Queen + Adam Lambert in Berlin: Freddie Mercury would have liked this show
From: https://www.musikexpress.de/queen-adam- ... s-1075363/

Queen with a new singer as a substitute for the irreplaceable: is that possible? And if so, is that really needed? We were at the concert in the Berlin Mercedes-Benz Arena on 19 June 2018.

I had very mixed feelings going into such a concert. Queen was my first true favorite band. There were times in my early teens, when they were more important to me than myself. Well, maybe that's overkill, but after all, we're dealing with queens of grand gestures here. Anyway, I could never quite shake off my fan-existence, although I know by God, I tried. Because the border-busting, cosmopolitan Queen had never ever been cool, while more traditional cock rockers like Led Zeppelin had been.
Of course, as a loyal Freddie Mercury purist, I never recognized his successor. In the case of Paul Rodgers and the dog-dead joint album THE COSMOS ROCKS that was probably a sensible decision. How should this shirt-sleeved pub type, with all due respect, convincingly sing a Bohemian Rhapsody? It was different with Adam Lambert, the talent show star from the United States: over and over again voices were heard, according to which, what they do together, is not that bad - for what it is. But I have always questioned this "what": That can be as good as it wants, but does it have to be? It is best to give yourself a picture of the situation.

Freddie Mercury would have liked that
First of all, the deadly robot known from the cover of the 1977 album NEWS OF THE WORLD breaks through its screen, an animated wall, to the audience. The robot was first depicted in its original form in 1953 on the cover of a sci-fi magazine. He is transformed into the mascot of the band, accompanies the audience in the not sold out Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin through the set, according to Adam Lambert he is called "Frank", aha.
Very fitting with the fall of the (Berlin) Wall, 2/4-Queen bravely start with "Tear It Up" from the not-so-popular 1984 album THE WORKS. Drummer Roger Taylor is assisted by a second drummer who often plays the same as himself. Dr. Brian May wears a shirt with a guitar pattern behind his "Red Special", which produces probably the warmest guitar sound in rock history. And Adam Lambert? He cuts a very fine figure: looking fantastic in all his make-up, he sings quite differently than his overpowering predecessor, but with just the same self-assurance and apparently completely effortless. After crowd pleasers like "Seven Seas Of Rhye" and "Tie Your Mother Down", he is driven up from the stage cellar to "Killer Queen", sitting on "Frank’s" head. The gag "Frank gives robotic head" fails, because not everyone understands it, because of the language barrier, but - I suspect very strongly - Freddie, who is known for his provocative vulgar humor, would have liked it.

Lambert then addressed Freddie himself and explains in a lengthy speech - standardized as the whole evening - his place in the band next to the "rock'n'roll legends" May and Taylor: "Some of you are looking at me right now and think : Hmm ... He is no Freddie. - Really now? No shit? "Of course, he was not, there was only one" Rock God "Freddie Mercury and his legacy was here and now to celebrate. This is Lambert's job as a fan, who has been asking himself for six years in the lineup of the group: "Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?". And he does this job truly masterfully. What else do you want to say against it, when two older men want to remind tens of thousands of willing people of their truly stunning life's work? That's ... okay, right?

Of course, it’s more of a show than a concert. But are the Rolling Stones, Depeche Mode or Guns N 'Roses not doing the same? And weren’t Queen, in their hayday, not always in the mood for the big show - did not Mercury himself - before his death- order, that the show must go on? In addition, the band had never made a secret of their commercial aspirations, in all creative adventures and games with all imaginable genres. Mercury himself compared his songs to disposable razors - "disposable pop". When Brian May was concerned about releasing his solo single, "Driven By You", in the face of Mercury's imminent death, Mercury destroyed his doubts on the grounds that his death would be the best possible promo for the song.

What they are doing is definitely not a sell-out. And yet, in Queen concerts, Mercury always created moments of deep honesty. You could feel, what he was singing. Of course Lambert can not provide these moments. He is an actor. Before he came to fame with "American Idol" in 2009, he played in musicals like "Hair" - also here in Berlin. Each of his syllables, however well sung, is craft. That must be clear. But how could he sing a deeply autobiographical song like "The Show Must Go On" with the power Mercury’s, if he does not face death? He can not (and in this case one can only be thankful for that). But he can strut on his platform boots, he can throw in dirty jokes and he is really able to be the center of this band, to which he actually does not belong. As much as May tries to steal the show, for example, by encouraging the crowd to take a selfie or by asking them in German to help out with singing on "Love Of My Life". At the end of that song, Freddie Mercury appeared on the big screen for the first time, live from Wembley in 1986.

Adam Lambert can form the center of this band, which relies on the big hits
The band relies on the big hits, and it has so many, that one does not notice, how many are not on the setlist ("Now I'm Here," "A Kind Of Magic," "One Vision," for example). The concert was worth attending already by "I Want It All", a song that Mercury could not perform live, but which is just made for the big stage. David Bowie's part in "Under Pressure" is taken by the underrated singer Roger Taylor, while "Bicycle Race" is actually Lambert's ride on a decorated bicycle. The only song from Lambert's solo career is "Lucy", on whose studio recording in 2015 Brian May has already participated. As fan pleasers, "You Take My Breath Away" is briefly played as an intro to "Who Wants To Live Forever" and May mixed up his "Brighton Rock" solo with his 1992 solo piece "Last Horizon". The animated Frank may animate to the iconic hand clapping to "Radio Gaga". After the obligatory double hit "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions", he waves grinning goodbye to the sound of "God Save The Queen". You might find that silly, because 41 years ago he killed all band members on the artwork of NEWS OF THE WORLD. But that remains a rare nonsens. I fearfully had expected much more of that.

The show goes on, but I felt something unexpected: Over the decades charged with countless impressions of this music, the groundbreaking videos, the concert shots in front of gigantic crowds, these songs shrink live somehow - even in this huge arena. The evening leaves an impression like the return to the own elementary school after 20 years, when one realizes with surprise that this is just a house and not a monstrous castle. Queen is not accountable for this. They can’t change that. It is purely subjective. Like this text, which then follows the previous consensus conclusion: As a tribute show Queen + Adam Lambert are as good as it is possible. If you are not interested, you can let LIVE KILLERS blow you away at home. The main thing is: the show continues. In ones head - or in front of it.
Queen & Adam Lambert live on June 19, 2018 in Berlin - the setlist:
Tear It Up
Seven Seas Of Rhye
Tie Your Mother Down
Play The Game
Fat Bottomed Girls
Killer Queen
Don’t Stop Me Now
Bicycle Race
I'm In Love With My Car
Another One Bites The Dust
Lucy
I Want It All
Love Of My Life
Somebody To Love
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Under Pressure
I Want To Break Free
Who Wants To Live Forever
Last Horizon
The Show Must Go On
Radio Ga Ga
Bohemian Rhapsody
Encore:
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions
God Save The Queen


I still think, these songs are a huge castle. :)
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Having recently viewed many of the uploaded QAL clips on YouTube, I have to confess that I believe this outing their best yet. And I do not mean just in terms of the production side of things or set list, etc. I mean more in the sense that they have really nailed it as a group. They seem more natural now and have really grown into something quite special.

I am a diehard. Yet I have always remained open-minded about QAL. And I have always stated that they are not for me, but good luck to all those who do dig them. Now I feel as if I would actually go and watch them perform - which I would never have done before. The music is the thing that does it...but, boy, does it help that it is performed by two absolute musical legends who can still play on fire and a lead singer with a voice that is in a class of its own (and I say that as a Freddie worshipper). Adam's vocals on this tour (well, the clips I have seen) are out of this world and - at times - quite, quite beautiful.

Also, whereas before I saw Queen and QAL as two very separate identities, I now see them more connected. Quite simply, it is the continuation of a legacy fronted by a man who has earnt his right to be up there on that stage singing those songs. Adam really has become part of the Queen family.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:17 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Having recently viewed many of the uploaded QAL clips on YouTube, I have to confess that I believe this outing their best yet. And I do not mean just in terms of the production side of things or set list, etc. I mean more in the sense that they have really nailed it as a group. They seem more natural now and have really grown into something quite special.

I am a diehard. Yet I have always remained open-minded about QAL. And I have always stated that they are not for me, but good luck to all those who do dig them. Now I feel as if I would actually go and watch them perform - which I would never have done before. The music is the thing that does it...but, boy, does it help that it is performed by two absolute musical legends who can still play on fire and a lead singer with a voice that is in a class of its own (and I say that as a Freddie worshipper). Adam's vocals on this tour (well, the clips I have seen) are out of this world and - at times - quite, quite beautiful.

Also, whereas before I saw Queen and QAL as two very separate identities, I now see them more connected. Quite simply, it is the continuation of a legacy fronted by a man who has earnt his right to be up there on that stage singing those songs. Adam really has become part of the Queen family.

Maybe you should think about going, as long as they are still touring. :) I saw, that there are still a few tickets for the London gigs next week available.
For me the Show on Tuesday was the best show, I have seen from them. And like you said: Adam has become a part of Queen: In this last interview from Irish TV, Adam is talking about Queen and their songs and suddenly changes from „they“ to „we“. :lol: (about 5-6 minutes into the interview).
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Queen and Adam Lambert in June

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Having recently viewed many of the uploaded QAL clips on YouTube, I have to confess that I believe this outing their best yet. And I do not mean just in terms of the production side of things or set list, etc. I mean more in the sense that they have really nailed it as a group. They seem more natural now and have really grown into something quite special.

I am a diehard. Yet I have always remained open-minded about QAL. And I have always stated that they are not for me, but good luck to all those who do dig them. Now I feel as if I would actually go and watch them perform - which I would never have done before. The music is the thing that does it...but, boy, does it help that it is performed by two absolute musical legends who can still play on fire and a lead singer with a voice that is in a class of its own (and I say that as a Freddie worshipper). Adam's vocals on this tour (well, the clips I have seen) are out of this world and - at times - quite, quite beautiful.

Also, whereas before I saw Queen and QAL as two very separate identities, I now see them more connected. Quite simply, it is the continuation of a legacy fronted by a man who has earnt his right to be up there on that stage singing those songs. Adam really has become part of the Queen family.

Maybe you should think about going, as long as they are still touring. :) I saw, that there are still a few tickets for the London gigs next week available.
For me the Show on Tuesday was the best show, I have seen from them. And like you said: Adam has become a part of Queen: In this last interview from Irish TV, Adam is talking about Queen and their songs and suddenly changes from „they“ to „we“. :lol: (about 5-6 minutes into the interview).


I am seriously considering going.

I, too, noticed that Adam used 'we' for the first time when talking about the songs. As a Queen fan I took no offence at all to that: at the end of the day he is singing those songs night after night with Brian and Roger - and has been doing so for six/seven years now (?); why shouldn't he say 'we' instead of 'they''? Of course they will always be Queen songs as opposed to QAL songs, but he is helping to extend the life of those songs, as well as bring them to a whole new audience...

...and I just feel deep in my soul that Freddie would have adored Adam on stage, vocally and show-wise. Yep, the man has definitely earned a place as a part of this band.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 4271
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 455 times

PreviousNext

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests