Is It Time

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Is It Time

Postby metalbones » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:34 am

:(
Hi Guys...
I've been a Queen fan for a very long time. My first memory was Son and Daughter. My Aunty had just bought Queen, ON release, and I think as a 8 yr old boy at the time, I was fascinated that someone was swearing in a song. You never got that in the Wheels on the bus or Jack and Jill.....
My collection is that of it needs it's own house, I've seen the gang many many times, including Adam..
Deep in my heart, I will always be a Freddie fan. It still hurts that he isn't with us in body.
But, I think Adam is a Godsend to. He does the job beyond perfect.
Having said this, The solo stuff of Roger, John Brian and Freddie, is perfection in huge gold and platinum letters.
Also, Adam can spin a tune
The new tour. Vegas, doesn't surprise me that the band are about to won USA again, they did it with Freddie many times.
Now, what I'm about to ask, pains me. I don't want to but I am.
The band are using similar stage graphics year after year, same set lists,. I was disgusted on the NOTW anniversary that they dropped track tunes for their home leg here in the UK.. But, putting that aside......
Do you think it's time to drop the tours? Become an album band only?
I just don't feel that "buzz" anymore?
I apologise deeply for saying this... But, I just had to.....
"Mother Mercury
Look what they've done to me..."

metalbones
Spread Your Wings

4:00am. No sleep.....My Fairy King doing the biz

Re: Is It Time

Postby icy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 am

No. Touring and live shows are one thing. Recording is another. I think Brian's and Roger's best songwriting days are behind them, and AL is no great songwriter. Nope, I couldn't and wouldn't support a Q+AL studio album.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby sharon20 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:32 am

metalbones wrote::(
Hi Guys...
I've been a Queen fan for a very long time. My first memory was Son and Daughter. My Aunty had just bought Queen, ON release, and I think as a 8 yr old boy at the time, I was fascinated that someone was swearing in a song. You never got that in the Wheels on the bus or Jack and Jill.....
My collection is that of it needs it's own house, I've seen the gang many many times, including Adam..
Deep in my heart, I will always be a Freddie fan. It still hurts that he isn't with us in body.
But, I think Adam is a Godsend to. He does the job beyond perfect.
Having said this, The solo stuff of Roger, John Brian and Freddie, is perfection in huge gold and platinum letters.
Also, Adam can spin a tune
The new tour. Vegas, doesn't surprise me that the band are about to won USA again, they did it with Freddie many times.
Now, what I'm about to ask, pains me. I don't want to but I am.
The band are using similar stage graphics year after year, same set lists,. I was disgusted on the NOTW anniversary that they dropped track tunes for their home leg here in the UK.. But, putting that aside......
I apologise deeply for saying this... But, I just had to.....
"Mother Mercury
Look what they've done to me..."

Interesting comment.

I think the fact people are still going out in droves to see them means they are still viable as a live act so I can't see them hanging it up anytime soon, I think they'll carry on until their health and energy means they can't any longer or if the numbers at the shows starts to drop. I do think they'll take a break after Vegas, they've been doing this last tour for over 18 months with breaks and since Adam will be releasing album 4 it's a good time to have a break.

As to recording, I would love them to but I'd be beyond surprised if they did, I just don't see it happening at all. Roger would probably record something together in a heartbeat but Brian & Adam both seem very disinterested in the idea. I think they could write something together if they wanted, TCR was written with Paul's range and style of voice in mind so it didn't have that Queen feel, with Adam they could write the way would have for Freddie so I could see that making it easier but like I said I just don't think it's what they want to do.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby statoil^ » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:07 am

I don't know. I guess they want to reach 1000 concerts anyway, before they even retire...

Hmm.. I was counting.
The real original band that we now is called Queen did the last show 1986. In total they had 700 performances, although when i take away some tv appearances, mimed performances etc, it is 695 shows.

If you add shows with Queen +...

First Paul Rodgers... that is I think 109 gigs.
And now Adam Lambert we are up in 188 gigs, including all dates in Las Vegas.

So 695+109+188 give me: 992 concerts.
Maybe someone could correct me if I am wrong?

Anyways... If that IS correct it is ONLY 8 gigs until they reach 1000 concerts playing Queen music, at least. Together, under name of Queen or Queen +.

So if they feel like, OK let's do it, let's get crazy. We do 8 more big gigs. Let's call it Innuendo. We add some odd numbers and just don't get a f'ck. People come anyway. Of course we have to play all the hits... Ah, the hits... Damn! :P

statoil^
Spread Your Wings

Postby smitto78 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 am

Just wanted to add my two cents about this, and finally, this is the topic calling for my story:

I discovered Queen when Freddie was on his deathbed. I had no idea that was the case. I was 9 years old and my favorite basketball player, Magic Johnson, announced he had HIV....a month later, the lead singer of a band called Queen just happened to pass away from complications of AIDS. Little did I know, this happening would lead me to learning about a band, and a man, which words can't describe. I can't tell ya what it was like to start loving a band named Queen in the Midwest (United States) after what happened to Freddie. It was the early 90's. A very different time. I realized I was onto something. I am very proud that, at a very young age, I realized sexual orientation should not define a person. Yes, I'm patting myself on the back for being, what I would consider, normal. The United States is a mess right now in case you didn't know.

I feel Brian and Roger are doing fans, like myself, justice. I grew up thinking I had discovered a band I would never see. I know I'm not seeing Freddie and John...I get it. BUT, I like to think there are more than a few fans of this band, like me, that want to see this music brought to life. I've now seen this incarnation of Queen 4 times since 2014. I saw them 3 times last year, and even took my dad to a show in Nashville, TN.

It means a lot to me that they keep touring, and it means a lot to those who never got the chance to see Freddie, that this incarnation of Queen continues to do shows. Freddie may not be at these shows in body, but you can't make it through a song without thinking about him.

Just my opinion...
"Dom. DAH-DAH! Huh?" – Fred

smitto78
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peavy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:42 am

Can't even imagine that, lol. I don't think they'll ever record an album as QAL, they tried once with TCR and it wasn't really worth it in the end in their opinion. There is also no need for it, it doesn't really count as Queen anyway and can't add a lot to the legacy they left with the studio albums up to MIH.

Live on the other hand, they can take this legacy and present it to millions of people around the globe. And that's I think the best they can do right now with Queen music, and I also think they enjoy this the most and won't stop anytime soon, as long as health is with them. The movie now is another thing that will for sure awake the interest in Queen music again or for the first time for many, many people everywhere. Especially then I can't see the demand for QAL concerts declining. They're performing as good as they can, have a huge production and people want to see and hear it.
I'd also want them to mix up the setlists a little bit more with more interesting tracks, but hey, I've seen them only twice so far and never being able to see the original Queen, I won't complain. I'm glad I can get this and hopefully a few more times in the next years. Becoming a Queen fan after Freddie's death kinda sucks in that regard, so QAL is really a great way to experience Queen music live with at least half of the band remaining, especially Brian's guitar sound being the most important aspect to Queen music aside to Freddie's voice imo. Hearing and seeing that original Red Special in concert is still unbelievable to me!

I'd only wish for them to release more concerts on DVD/Blu-ray...I would LOVE to get at least one 77 and one 79 concert some time, as most of you too I guess. Aside from that, I hope to see QAL again, and soon, the movie. :) The last year was for sure one of most exciting ones as a Queen fan for me, seeing QAL twice and the movie coming up. I never had the pleasure of waiting for an upcoming Queen album or a tour back then, all the guys who experienced that should really appreciate how lucky they were!

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:53 pm

metalbones said:

Becoming an album band? I mean, they haven't recorded an album for more than 10 years. Actually nothing at all with Adam. And from all the interviews I've listened to or read, they don't seem to have any intention to go into a studio together. So, that will hardly happen.
Although it would be my dream come true for me, to get new music from them. Under whatever name. And play that song on tour, of course. ;)

I agree with you, that they will need to change their show to a big deal, when they go on another tour in Europe. And I'm also sure, that they know that. Yes, they used similar graphics in 2014/15 and 2017/18 for AOBTD and RGG. But there were also many new ones, which I absolutely loved (IAKOM!) or that were just new. The whole stage set and the incorporation of Frank was new. I loved it. I still do, although it for lost its "buzz". But that's only for me, because I've watched it too often. :lol:

Now they toured North America, Europe (part1), Australia, Europe (Part 2, mostly cities that were left out in part1) and Las Vegas. Will they bring this tour to Asia and/or South America as well?
We might be fed up with it, especially thanks to the internet. Many fans haven't had the opportunity to see this show (live).

As for your counting of shows: You are right, that QAL will have played 188 showes by the end of the Vegas residency. But just from the looks an Brian's and Roger's faces, I'm sure, they are not ready to stop. :)
And I would also bet, that none of them has counted their shows.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby fairydandy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:48 pm

No, they should never make an album. Why would any Queen fan possibly want it? Karaoke is one thing, but new songs would be as pointless as The Cosmos Rocks.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:18 pm

They should never ever do an album. Never!

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby AlexKx » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:20 pm

Yes, they should do many new studio l.p.s plus songs that are from different sources (singles, e.p.s, compilations, etc.). At this point in time they should be at least starting on working on new music even if it just goes into the vaults at this point. And, yes, Roger said back when they were in Nashville, Tennessee I believe it was that they were going to record new music for a studio l.p. and even started some things in a studio there. I am so excited for the possibilities! :onfire:

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Jimi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:30 pm

fairydandy wrote:No, they should never make an album. Why would any Queen fan possibly want it? Karaoke is one thing, but new songs would be as pointless as The Cosmos Rocks.

So true

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert