A Queen fan's final take on Adam Lambert

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

A Queen fan's final take on Adam Lambert

Postby Michael Allred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:35 am

First I say this, I fully support this collaboration and have no personal issues with it at all. In fact I wish Queen would be open to more of their catalog and allow him to sing them. 

Having said that, after these many years of live shows, my conclusion is this. Adam has a great voice and is a great singer. However what Adam is not is a great performer. He's usually almost standing still and when he does move it's usually the same hip gyrations and whatnot. Also his audience interaction leaves quite a bit to be desired. 

So there's good and there's bad but to me, overall it works just fine. 
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
The Show Must Go On

Re: A Queen fan's final take on Adam Lambert

Postby PiscesGirl » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:02 am

Are you serious? Standing still?? He is on Frank’s head, he is in the audience for Radio GaGa, he is behind the drum set for BoRhap and elevated for BoRhap, he is on each side of the stage, in the middle and front and center. What do you want him to do? Cartwheels? He is the most movable member of the band. He was on his knees the one other night......he was flat on the floor for Get Down Make Love, he does a dance at end of AOBTD. He rides a bike.....he does 5 costume changes. Standing still?? I don’t think so

PiscesGirl
Spread Your Wings

Postby AngelR » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:14 am

I guess Adam doesn't want to dominate the show and to destract crowd from Brian's solos? I've noticed he would disappear into the background often (during the last show I saw) and Brian would be in the spotlight. :)

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby sharon20 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:24 am

AngelR wrote:I guess Adam doesn't want to dominate the show and to destract crowd from Brian's solos? I've noticed he would disappear into the background often (during the last show I saw) and Brian would be in the spotlight. :)

Yeah I personally think he has a great balance of showmanship and being the focus and blending into the background when needed to allow the others their time in the spotlight, I find it respectful and love the interaction between them all on stage, they have great chemistry.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Michael Allred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Sitting on a robot head or lazing on a couch is hardly a dynamic performance.
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
The Show Must Go On

Postby sharon20 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Michael Allred wrote:Sitting on a robot head or lazing on a couch is hardly a dynamic performance.

If you're comparing to Freddie or expecting an Axl Rose type performance then I'd agree, but Adam does things differently. It's personal taste I suppose, IMO he's from theater so his performance style is more about facial expressions and sort of acting like you would in a stage show, it's not a typical rock concert but that said thousands are loving it. He's found a way to make stepping in for Freddie work probably because he doesn't imitate or do things the same as Freddie did. Each to their own, they can't please everyone.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenUSA » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:40 pm

The show I saw last year had the audience eating out of his hand. Lots of enthusiastic response when he addressed them.

QueenUSA
The Show Must Go On

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:56 pm

That's a new one. Interesting perspective. I just read a random comment on twitter this week, where someone, who had just seen the show for the first time, wrote exactly the opposite. That Adam really worked the stage and was constantly moving around.
That doesn't make your opinion wrong, of course. It just shows, how different perceptions are.

I completely agree with sharon: If you compare Adam to Freddie, who was the master of quick moves, then Adam is rather stiff. If I compare him to all the other artists I've seen so far this year, he is one of the two most dynamic ones. As for the hip-actions: I agree, that less would sometimes be more.
I haven't seen much of the Vegas concerts so far. But since the stage there is smaller, I've the feeling, Adam is moving less. The 30m thrust to the B-stage is missing. So no dancing around there. :P

Just to get an impression of a "normal" Adam behavior on stage:
QAL in Berlin: Seven Seas of Rhye, Tie your Mother down and Play the Game. A mix of more and less moves. You can also see, that Adam often gives the center of the stage to Brian, as some posters mentioned before.
phpBB [video]

And from Wednesday in Vegas: Show must go on. Adam is really mostly standing and singing. But I think it really fits the song. And I LOVE that performance! I think, it's one of their best of TSMGO. :)
phpBB [video]

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby eiricd » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:42 pm

He’a completely wrong for the job. That’s my final take :)

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby sharon20 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:48 pm

eiricd wrote:He’a completely wrong for the job. That’s my final take :)

That may be true for you but clearly he isn't objectively wrong for the job or no one would bother to see them and certainly not more than once. I've seen loads of tweets in the last few days saying "went to last nights show and had to get tickets for tonight as well now" or variations of that. Loads of tweets saying the show's amazing, best they've seen etc. It's never going to suit everybody but it works.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:30 pm

I said many years ago that he is 'wooden' on stage and I still maintain that. At least he's where he belongs now anyway....well, ok, it's not a cruise ship, but he's almost there.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby sharon20 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:44 pm

fairydandy wrote:I said many years ago that he is 'wooden' on stage and I still maintain that. At least he's where he belongs now anyway....well, ok, it's not a cruise ship, but he's almost there.

Well wooden seems to be rather popular then and there's no cruise ships in his immediate future so it's all good.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Another_Roger » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:48 pm

For me Adam Lambert is a sad chapter in Brian and Rogers history. Since 1992 I have been interested and excited by all of their performances live. When Lambert took over the vocal duties I lost interest for the first time in my time as a Queen fan. And for me thats about 10 years of live excitement lost. I am happy for Brian and Roger if they have fun. I am also happy for all the fans who likes this. But personally I hate the collaboration and wished it never happened.

Another_Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:56 pm

They lost your interest in them as a live band, while they gained mine.
Not every singer is for everyone. I‘m sorry for you, although I‘m glad the collaboration came to be. And no, I didn’t know Adam before I saw him with Brian and Roger. I just went to a gig and liked what I saw (and heard).

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert