Frank

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Frank

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:10 am

I was 10 when i first got into Queen, introduced to Jazz by a friend at school and became hooked, the first album i searched for when looking at their back catalog was News of the World. This was based on one thing...the iconic artwork design. I looked at it in detail for hours whilst playing the album over and over in my bedroom.
Loved the whole concept. Great visuals across the gatefold sleeve with fantastic music inside.
The robot for me was always symbolic of something scary and evil, full of destruction as blood trips from his mechanic fingers whilst ripping the band from a concert auditorium mid show...visually it resonated in so many ways to a young 10 year old ( even gave rise to some nightmares ) but that was not a bad thing in my opinion.

So today as i see images of 'Frank' being wheeled out in Las Vegas with a crown tilted on his head he has lost that sinister villain like appeal and now sadly just seems a little 'pantomime'

I was really happy that the band decided to use the iconic images and understand that in this day and age such visuals that were used for the original artwork are probably not welcome to a wider audience. I can't help feel however that had they stuck a little more to the original theme it could have been even more dramatic and visual throughout the show.
Perhaps others have mentioned this on the forum previously so apologies for that if so.
I would guess that if the band keep touring in the future Frank will be retired from the show for something new, possibly to live out his days in a cheap Vegas Motel...lol

BTW...please do not construe this post to be in anyway detrimental to either Adam or the band playing Vegas or continuing to tour as Queen + AL it is giving thousands of people much happiness and a chance to see Brian and Roger ( sometimes for the first time ) so all good as far as i am concerned.

Just a comment on the use of 'Frank'

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Re: Frank

Postby sharon20 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:36 am

It's funny you should mention 'pantomime', Brian described the show as "very themic, slightly cartoonic" so that is what they were going for with the design. I think they probably were trying to appeal to a wide audience and their shows are very upbeat, light and fun filled so I suppose a darker more sinister Frank wouldn't really fit the vibe.

Brian posted on Instagram the other day that Frank would likely be retiring after this run so I think if they do another tour it will be a completely different theme.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Totally agree with this.

I don't really feel like the Frank that's on tour with our boys is the same guy.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Personally, I think it's a big shame that AL has managed to take the piss out of one of the most iconic images n the Queen history. It's not even funny, witty.
*All IMO*
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Peavy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:07 am

Having a different view on this...not growing up in the 70s and knowing "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" (and "Sheer Heart Attack" and "Spread Your Wings") long before getting to know the rest of "News Of The World", I never liked the cover a lot.

To me the robot design of Frank always looked super boring, tbh I was surprised when he became that huge part of the show of the current tour. Of course it makes sense with the originally intended NOTW-theme, still I think they gave Frank lots more "personality" with that show than he ever had. To me that album cover design was always a little bland and dated, so it was refreshing that they made a lot more out of it with the current tour.

The opening of the show with Frank smashing the wall, looking through it, kinda "welcoming the audience" and basically lifting the whole stage up is just awesome and impressive and I have enough humour to not mind Adam sitting on his head and making a joke here and there. Brian getting lifted on his hand during the solo also is really cool and NOW I like the NOTW cover a little bit more therefor, because there is actually more than that little artwork behind the idea of Frank. He is really a part of the show and therefor far more a part of Queen to me now than he was before.

I so hope for a Blu-ray release of that tour...this really deserves a great release and not to be forgotten in time!

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:42 am

Peavy wrote:Having a different view on this...not growing up in the 70s and knowing "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" (and "Sheer Heart Attack" and "Spread Your Wings") long before getting to know the rest of "News Of The World", I never liked the cover a lot.

To me the robot design of Frank always looked super boring, tbh I was surprised when he became that huge part of the show of the current tour. Of course it makes sense with the originally intended NOTW-theme, still I think they gave Frank lots more "personality" with that show than he ever had. To me that album cover design was always a little bland and dated, so it was refreshing that they made a lot more out of it with the current tour.

The opening of the show with Frank smashing the wall, looking through it, kinda "welcoming the audience" and basically lifting the whole stage up is just awesome and impressive and I have enough humour to not mind Adam sitting on his head and making a joke here and there. Brian getting lifted on his hand during the solo also is really cool and NOW I like the NOTW cover a little bit more therefor, because there is actually more than that little artwork behind the idea of Frank. He is really a part of the show and therefor far more a part of Queen to me now than he was before.

I so hope for a Blu-ray release of that tour...this really deserves a great release and not to be forgotten in time!

I'd agree with all of that and people seem to have been loving Frank's inclusion, I've seen quite a lot of comments about him, I think the designer's did a great job with his expressions and the moving eyes etc, just makes for a fun show IMO and yeah the opening part was amazing. I really hope there's a DVD of this one as well, it really would be a shame not to do one of this tour.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby hotspace1966 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:09 am

Must admit that is the first time i have heard someone refer to the original artwork for NOTW as 'boring' but then again art is very subjective which is what i love about it.
Not disputing the effect it has had on the show and how well the visuals have been designed and are incorporated within the concert,for me personally i would have enjoyed seeing the robot truer to his perceived character from the original artwork and i am sure this could have been worked around just as well as the choice they have gone with and still been enjoyed and had the same impact.
Funny i suppose depending on your age holding a cd version or looking at a download will never be the same as holding the original gatefold sleeve album in your hands...at least not for me anyway but then again i am old school and still like physical copies of everything, what a dinosaur...lol

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby Peavy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:26 pm

hotspace1966 wrote:Must admit that is the first time i have heard someone refer to the original artwork for NOTW as 'boring' but then again art is very subjective which is what i love about it.
Not disputing the effect it has had on the show and how well the visuals have been designed and are incorporated within the concert,for me personally i would have enjoyed seeing the robot truer to his perceived character from the original artwork and i am sure this could have been worked around just as well as the choice they have gone with and still been enjoyed and had the same impact.

I guess they didn't want him to tear apart the audience until they bleed... ;)

hotspace1966 wrote:Funny i suppose depending on your age holding a cd version or looking at a download will never be the same as holding the original gatefold sleeve album in your hands...at least not for me anyway but then again i am old school and still like physical copies of everything, what a dinosaur...lol

Growing up with CDs (ok well, and cassettes in the 90s^^), I absolutely agree with you though! I love that LPs returned in the multi media stores I usually visit, having bigger and bigger shelfs over the last years. I remember a time when there were no LPs at all anymore in those stores! But I almost always go to the LP section and spend some time there looking at some album covers in much bigger size and enjoy this a lot. I absolutely understand people prefering LPs to the small plastic CD cases, it's just a different feeling and LPs (and the artwork) just feel much more special thanks to the size and the weight alone.
However, it's way too late for me to start all over with collecting LPs, having already hundreds of CDs at home. ;) Still I sometimes buy some LPs that have really nice artwork, just for that alone - looks nice putting them on a shelf at home. I also want to buy a Queen LP some time, though it for sure won't be NOTW...rather Queen II, or Made In Heaven...just because I prefer the artworks there. ;)

But I have every album I like as CD in my collection...wouldn't like to have it digital only, i just rip them for having them on the go on my phone, too. I don't like this streaming trend at all, same with movies. I always want to have some album or movie with nice artwork, at best in a nice digipack/steelbook, that you can put in a shelf.

"Young dinosaur" here going to an ELO concert today evening also. ;)

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby hotspace1966 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Yup, stopped collecting LP's a few years back and like you everything is on cd and then transferred to my ipod.
I like the physical copy as mentioned. I am glad LP's are making a comeback but will now only purchase on cd and have to get a magnifying glass to read the linear notes...lol
Whilst i love the artwork for NOTW, i still also appreciate Innuendo, Jazz, Queen 2 and Live Killers as sleeve designs.
The Game silver reflective sleeve is also dear to myself.
Useless bit of info, when the Game was released it was a time when you just had to have these on the day of release, i found myself on holiday in Poole with my parents and dragged them to the shops on day of release, purchased the album but had no record player to play it on for 2 weeks. Anyhow when i phoned my friend who introduced me to Queen back in 78 to discuss the purchase it seems back home in London the album was delayed in some stores and when he was finally able to purchase it was without the reflective sleeve and no inner notes, he was gutted.
Not sure what happened back home on that album release but i was fortunate...
Enjoy ELO

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert