Queen covers for the MPT - no Adam?

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Queen covers for the MPT - no Adam?

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:44 am

I listened to the newly released cover of „Under Pressure“ by Shawn Mendes. It‘s OK and since he‘s the most current artist at the moment, it might be great exposure for the upcoming BoRhap film. And it’s for a good cause, since the money goes to the Mercury Phoenix Trust ( http://www.queenonline.com/news/press-r ... or-the-mpt ).

I don’t know yet, who the other three artists will be, who recorded covers for this. I only know, that I feel kind of sad and disappointed, because there is still no official record with Adam out there. Everytime I want to listen to him singing Queen‘s songs, I need to go to YouTube or a rather crappy rip from there. :(

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want Adam to re-record the Queen catalogue or even their greatest hits. I‘m fine with a live recording from the shows. I just feel disappointed, that I can now download a cover from Mendes and soon two others, but NONE from or with Adam. He has been their singer for more than ) years FFS! :onfire:

Sorry, I just needed to express that. I will eat my words, if Adam actually recorded one of the other two covers. But I really doubt, that he did.

Anybody feel the same? Or: Do you like Shawn‘s cover?

Edit: That song was one of my absolute highlights on every tour, performed by Roger and Adam. Shawn doesn’t come even close to it!

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Re: Queen covers for the MPT - no Adam?

Postby BitterTears » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:32 am

I can't really explain why but I feel like the fact that Adam sings with Brian and Roger is exactly why he can't cover Queen songs. I don't know,, does that make sense to anyone else?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Peavy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:12 am

I like Adam live and the possibilty to still be able to see those concerts with Brian and Roger today, but I wouldn't need a studio version or even live version just to listen to it. If I want to hear that song or any other Queen song, I always prefer the original. HOWEVER, I would love to see the current tour (wouldn't mind the previous one either since I didn't see it live) being released on Blu-ray - that's where Adam's vocals are in the absolute perfect place and I just want to see the whole show with it, like I did live twice. But yeah, for just listening to Queen music, I always go with Freddie studio or live versions. Hope that Blu-ray is finally happening!

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:18 pm

Here are the 3 songs of the EP. I like Killer Queen, Somebody to love is okayish. I don’t like that version of Under Pressure.

Killer Queen by 5SOS
phpBB [video]

Somebody to love by Troye Sivan
phpBB [video]

Under Pressure by Shawn Mendes
phpBB [video]

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby rpt81 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:48 pm

BitterTears wrote:I can't really explain why but I feel like the fact that Adam sings with Brian and Roger is exactly why he can't cover Queen songs. I don't know,, does that make sense to anyone else?

No, I think I get where you're coming from. The point of these covers seems to be hearing how fresh voices take on the tracks. With Lambert, it's been his job to sing them for several years now, so (with all due respect to him and his fans) there wouldn't be any real uniqueness or point to him making a studio version of a Queen track.

rpt81
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:07 pm

So Adam‘s voice is ‚old‘? :lol: ;)

He has been on the same TV shows with Troye and Shawn. They know each other. I know, what you mean. Adam isn’t a hip (very) young artist.
I still think, that one Adam cover would have been a nice touch. I don’t believe at all, that people outside of the Queen fan-bubble have heard his take on Queen songs. And he doesn’t sing them like Freddie did.
AND he sings them much better than these two. That version of Under Pressure would have never made me a fan of that song.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert