Brian: How Adam joined the Queen family

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Brian: How Adam joined the Queen family

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:17 pm

This is an article, that appeared in Classic Rock last year, but I haven’t seen it before and I couldn’t find it in this forum. It’s actually an excerpt from Brian’s book „Queen in 3D“. I have the book, so the content isn’t new to me. There is a whole chapter about QAL, where Brian explains a bit more, how they work together. But I guess, not everyone bought it. ;) (And I actually got it from Santa last year...)
Source: http://www.loudersound.com/features/bri ... een-family

Brian May: How Adam Lambert joined the Queen family
By Brian May November 28, 2017 Classic Rock

Brian May's book 'Queen in 3-D' tells the band's story, from first album to the arrival of 'Madam Lambert'. Here, May reveals how the American Idol star became part of the Queen family

By 2009 we were well into the age of dominance of social media – but also of ‘Idol’ type TV talent shows. I suddenly started getting messages saying: “There is this incredible guy on American Idol who has sung one of your songs in the competition, and looks like he may win the whole season.”

So I immediately checked out YouTube to find out what was going on; and, sure enough, there was this amazing young chap singing Bohemian Rhapsody – Adam Lambert. And it was evident that he was something completely out of the ordinary. And into my inbox came a deluge of people saying, “You must get together with this guy; he is the natural successor to Freddie; he is the guy you should be touring with.”

Then we got a call, Roger and I, inviting us to come and play in LA on American Idol, with the two finalists, one of whom was Adam. So we went over and did our live dramatic heroic entrance with these two boys, and it really was a fun experience. They were both good singers and both had a good presence on stage, and it was easy to interact with them. But it was really blindingly obvious that there was a chemistry already between us and Adam. It just happened completely naturally and made us all smile. The public reaction was massive, and so I think from that moment the idea of us working with Adam was seeded in our brains.

The thing snowballed very quickly, and we started a long and very fruitful association with Adam in which he has become one of us, part of our family. He’s never attempted to be Freddie, and I think that’s what endears him to the fans, apart from the fact that he is an extraordinary singer with an extraordinary presence.

Roger and I have seen literally thousands of singers in our lifetimes including some great ones auditioning for our We Will Rock You show (which, did I mention, ran for 12 solid years in The Dominion Theatre on the Tottenham Court Road in London?) but we’ve never seen or heard anything like Adam. I always think that Freddie, with a wicked smile, would say something like “I hate you, Madam Lambert,” because even Freddie would have been gobsmacked at his range and his ability to reinterpret these songs which the four of us originally created together.

There are people out there who think it’s something quite unforgivable that we should be touring at all. They think we should pack up our gear and go into an old people’s home.

But it’s been very obvious that not just the old folks, but at least two new generations around the world have absolutely latched on to Queen music, and love it, and have woven it into their lives; and they love seeing us play it live with this ‘boy’.

He is a little older now, but still a boy compared with us old rockers. But the age difference doesn’t matter. We have the same work ethic, the same enjoyment of the material, and in these arenas and larger places that we’ve played all I see are happy faces, people who feel, like us, that it’s a privilege to share these kinds of moments, long after Freddie has gone. And – my God – it’s fun!

This is excerpted from Queen in 3-D by Brian May, published by the London Stereoscopic Company.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Re: Brian: How Adam joined the Queen family

Postby zso » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm

I wish Marc had been on Idol in 2008.
I consider him as a superior musician compared to Adam.

zso
Spread Your Wings

Postby eiricd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:21 pm

zso wrote:I wish Marc had been on Idol in 2008.

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:04 pm

I don’t believe, that it would have changed anything, had Marc been on idol. Brian and Roger knew Marc, before they started working with Adam.

Marc might be the better musician or more complete musician, being able to play instruments and all.
I believe, that Adam is the better singer, but I know, that‘s subjective in many ways. So, I‘m well aware, that there are music fans, who will never take to Adam’s singing and will always prefer Marc.

The thing, that really sets Marc and Adam apart for me is, that I consider Adam a performer. In this way, I think he‘s much closer to Freddie than Marc will ever be. Adam goes on stage to entertain, to give the audience a show. That’s the reason, why he was so successful on idol. And that’s why B&R took notice. Roger said, it has been Adam‘s performance of Led Zeppelin’s „Whole lotta love“, that captured Spike Edney in front of his TV and made him call Roger in the UK. It’s not only Adam’s ability to sing their songs, but also his ability to perform in a way „fitting for Queen“ ;) . That‘s why they took notice.

And the main fact is in my opinion, that Brian and Roger simply get along very well with Adam. It’s not only the work ethics, that‘s described by Brian. When you see them behind the scenes, it gets clear, that Adam has a great connection to Brian and I think an even closer one to Roger. Adam and Roger even spent two vacations together. I actually can’t see a friendship between Marc and Roger. From what I know about these two, they are too different.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby sharon20 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Nicki79 wrote:

I don’t believe, that it would have changed anything, had Marc been on idol. Brian and Roger knew Marc, before they started working with Adam.

Marc might be the better musician or more complete musician, being able to play instruments and all.
I believe, that Adam is the better singer, but I know, that‘s subjective in many ways. So, I‘m well aware, that there are music fans, who will never take to Adam’s singing and will always prefer Marc.

The thing, that really sets Marc and Adam apart for me is, that I consider Adam a performer. In this way, I think he‘s much closer to Freddie than Marc will ever be. Adam goes on stage to entertain, to give the audience a show. That’s the reason, why he was so successful on idol. And that’s why B&R took notice. Roger said, it has been Adam‘s performance of Led Zeppelin’s „Whole lotta love“, that captured Spike Edney in front of his TV and made him call Roger in the UK. It’s not only Adam’s ability to sing their songs, but also his ability to perform in a way „fitting for Queen“ ;) . That‘s why they took notice.

And the main fact is in my opinion, that Brian and Roger simply get along very well with Adam. It’s not only the work ethics, that‘s described by Brian. When you see them behind the scenes, it gets clear, that Adam has a great connection to Brian and I think an even closer one to Roger. Adam and Roger even spent two vacations together. I actually can’t see a friendship between Marc and Roger. From what I know about these two, they are too different.

I agree 100% with that, I couldn't imagine them having fun with Marc and enjoying touring with him. As to being a musician, they have plenty of them on stage they just need Adam to be the showman and connect with the audience, something he's very good at.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby AngelR » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:58 am

eiricd wrote:

Yeah, Martel's latest album is a masterpiece - every song is a Classic Rock hit, Lambert can't compete with that :lol:

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby Nicki79 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:18 am

AngelR wrote:
eiricd wrote:

Yeah, Martel's latest album is a masterpiece - every song is a Classic Rock hit, Lambert can't compete with that :lol:

Good one!

And just imagine: Had Adam recorded anything similar, many Queen fans would have quartered and guttered him. So to speak. ;)

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby sharon20 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm

AngelR wrote:
eiricd wrote:

Haha, yeah he's such a great songwriter!!

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
And just imagine: Had Adam recorded anything similar, many Queen fans would have quartered and guttered him. So to speak. ;)

Yeah they would, thankfully I'd say there's zero chance of that ever happening.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby AlexKx » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Well, he has his new solo studio l.p. coming out I guess he will tour for it before the QUEEN tour. Time for QUEEN to start recording with him.

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Nicki79 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:04 pm

A nice fan video, that shows the „family“ on stage. They really get along very well and you can always see it at the concerts.Always happy faces!
phpBB [video]

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Little video from QAL 2017 in the US. Adam protects Brian from the smoke canon. That scene had been discussed some time ago, but I don’t think, we had video evidence. So, here it is. Brian plays his solo during „I want it all“ and forgot about the smoke machines.
For some time now, he’s playing his solo on the B-stage, far away from these canons. :lol:
Although I believe the reason is, that Brian’s hair used to be blown up by these machines as well.
Link: http://twitter.com/granpabri/status/107 ... 51936?s=21

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby AngelR » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:04 am

Nicki79 wrote:Little video from QAL 2017 in the US. Adam protects Brian from the smoke canon. That scene had been discussed some time ago, but I don’t think, we had video evidence. So, here it is. Brian plays his solo during „I want it all“ and forgot about the smoke machines.
For some time now, he’s playing his solo on the B-stage, far away from these canons. :lol:
Although I believe the reason is, that Brian’s hair used to be blown up by these machines as well.
Link: http://twitter.com/granpabri/status/107 ... 51936?s=21

Yes, I remember there was a 'discussion' here about that incident ;)

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert