Lambert onStrictly

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Re: Lambert onStrictly

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Nicki79 wrote:First of all: Happy Birthday! :cheers:

Thanks!

Nicki79 wrote:And then I‘m curious, why you can’t stand him.

sharon20 wrote:I was about to ask the same thing. I wonder if some people who don't like him see him as a bit aloof, I noticed last night he can appear like that if looking from an outsider's point of view, especially on a show like strictly where they don't even talk to the guest singers.

Fundamentally he just rubs me up the wrong way. I think he's a prat.

Coming out with shite like "Two Fux" in his solo career certainly doesn't help my opinion of him.

But beyond that, I can't really view him as anything more than a disposable mouthpiece. He's just another generic ex-talent show contestant who blurs into insignificance alongside all the other generic ex-talent show contestants out there (I f*cking hate TV talent shows and the manufactured shite they typically churn out :P). Seeing him with the band makes me long for the days when they were touring with Paul Rodgers. Someone with some actual credibility as a musician. Sure, Lambert has a brilliant voice, but you could go to literally any musical stage show in the West End and see someone who can sing just as well as he can. I wouldn't want to see them heading up Queen, and I have zero interest in seeing them while they're fronted by Lambert.

I've got nothing against Brian and Roger wanting to tour with him - it's their decision, and if they're happy, fair play to them - and likewise I've got nothing against people who do like him. But in my eyes he's just a voice box with no real substance beyond that, and frankly I want better for my favourite band of all time.

And I do have to wonder - would anyone today honestly give a shit about Lambert ten years after Pop Idol or whatever it was he was on if he wasn't now fronting Queen?
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Peavy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:15 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
And I do have to wonder - would anyone today honestly give a shit about Lambert ten years after Pop Idol or whatever it was he was on if he wasn't now fronting Queen?

Well, the fact he IS fronting Queen since years and people like Brian and Roger chose him (they could have chosen pretty much everybody if they wanted to...) means a lot more than where he started from. I understand your negative view on those TV shows (I don't like them either), but that doesn't take away from his talent and appeal to Brian and Roger (and lots of Queen fans worldwide). I mean, most singers only front one band, most don't even do solo stuff (he does), so this question above kinda doesn't lead to anything imo...if a band gets aware of you as a musician because of a talent show or because they see you in a concert with another band, or because you audition for them - doesn't matter really, if a band wants you, that's what counts. And in Adam's case, the band was Queen. And of course nobody is forced to like Brian's and Roger's decision, but that's who they chose. And they toured with the best rock singer on the planet before, so they had their reasons I guess. ;) I think you wouldn't like him much more if he wasn't hired by them thanks to that TV show but otherwise either...the TV show thing just "stamps" him for you as something you don't like anyway. ;)

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:28 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:First of all: Happy Birthday! :cheers:

Thanks!

Nicki79 wrote:And then I‘m curious, why you can’t stand him.

sharon20 wrote:I was about to ask the same thing. I wonder if some people who don't like him see him as a bit aloof, I noticed last night he can appear like that if looking from an outsider's point of view, especially on a show like strictly where they don't even talk to the guest singers.

Fundamentally he just rubs me up the wrong way. I think he's a prat.

Coming out with shite like "Two Fux" in his solo career certainly doesn't help my opinion of him.

But beyond that, I can't really view him as anything more than a disposable mouthpiece. He's just another generic ex-talent show contestant who blurs into insignificance alongside all the other generic ex-talent show contestants out there (I f*cking hate TV talent shows and the manufactured shite they typically churn out :P). Seeing him with the band makes me long for the days when they were touring with Paul Rodgers. Someone with some actual credibility as a musician. Sure, Lambert has a brilliant voice, but you could go to literally any musical stage show in the West End and see someone who can sing just as well as he can. I wouldn't want to see them heading up Queen, and I have zero interest in seeing them while they're fronted by Lambert.

I've got nothing against Brian and Roger wanting to tour with him - it's their decision, and if they're happy, fair play to them - and likewise I've got nothing against people who do like him. But in my eyes he's just a voice box with no real substance beyond that, and frankly I want better for my favourite band of all time.

Thanks for your reply. That last question can hardly be ever answered, because Adam is fronting Queen.

Just yesterday he sang at „The Kennedy Center Honors“ a tribute for Cher, a very highly regarded event in Washington DC. People in the music industry do respect Adam very much, many of them from the beginning of his career.
He might not be your cup of tea, but he isn’t a prat. ;-)

I understand your feelings and respect your opinion. I know, my mother looks at Adam and probably thinks the same. I showed her some YouTube videos some time ago and she wasn’t thrilled. :lol:

If you’re not interested in him, you won’t look behind the stage persona. I won‘t write down, how I would describe or characterize him, because I don’t believe, you’re interested in that. I will just say, that I felt very similar about Freddie. I always liked Queen‘s music. But when I really explored their music for the first time in 2001, I also went to YouTube. And I didn’t like the live performances. So I didn’t dig further. I was happy with my CDs (Platinum Edition, which was just released). :)

After a fantastic QAL concert, I started to look into Queen again. And into Adam. By now I‘m a fan of both. And I got to know the person behind Freddie’s stage persona, that was for me much more likable. I also learnt, what a genius songwriter he (and also Brian) was. Of course, I also learnt a lot about Adam. Since he’s still alive and very active in many ways, that’s not too hard. Behind his stage persona is a pretty complicated soul. He’s not like Freddie, but they do have a lot in common in many ways. And they are completely different in many others.

I think, it simply depends on what we l ike. And thank god, we are all different, because life would be boring otherwise. I like Two Fuxx. And no, I don’t like all of his songs.
Last edited by Nicki79 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby sharon20 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:Fundamentally he just rubs me up the wrong way. I think he's a prat.

Thanks for answering, I respect your opinion but I have to disagree with a lot of the points.

I don't judge him by the fact he went on that talent show it was a door opener and it worked but he was talented and had already been working in the industry for years without getting a break.

I don't think he's a prat and the Two Fux song was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment on the fact that everyone has an opinion about everyone/everything on social media and at some point you have to think it's ok to say I don't care and not take it all so seriously or it starts to really get to you.

He was taken seriously from the start for his voice but some of his choices hurt him career wise and it's taken a while to get that back. I'd say he's succeeded in recent times, he's constantly asked to appear at things, give speeches and tributes etc, all unrelated to Queen things and he's well respected in his own right. His fans would always have stood by him regardless of if he'd been with Queen or not and the reason is because he's a genuinely decent guy so even if his solo music career hadn't taken off I honestly believe he would have still been doing something in entertainment, he's extremely personable and well liked by everyone who interviews him or has him on their show and because of his professional attitude people like to work with him.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:42 pm

I didn't like it, I can say after watching it a couple of times. First of, I don't think it was a good song choice in that setting.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby icy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Peavy wrote:
Leigh Burne wrote:

Well, the fact he IS fronting Queen since years and people like Brian and Roger chose him (they could have chosen pretty much everybody if they wanted to...) means a lot more than where he started from. I understand your negative view on those TV shows (I don't like them either), but that doesn't take away from his talent and appeal to Brian and Roger (and lots of Queen fans worldwide). I mean, most singers only front one band, most don't even do solo stuff (he does), so this question above kinda doesn't lead to anything imo...if a band gets aware of you as a musician because of a talent show or because they see you in a concert with another band, or because you audition for them - doesn't matter really, if a band wants you, that's what counts. And in Adam's case, the band was Queen. And of course nobody is forced to like Brian's and Roger's decision, but that's who they chose. And they toured with the best rock singer on the planet before, so they had their reasons I guess. ;) I think you wouldn't like him much more if he wasn't hired by them thanks to that TV show but otherwise either...the TV show thing just "stamps" him for you as something you don't like anyway. ;)

He isn't fronting Queen. AL himself says he is a guest.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Peavy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:52 pm

icy wrote:
Peavy wrote:
Leigh Burne wrote:

He isn't fronting Queen. AL himself says he is a guest.

You know what I meant. ;)

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:55 pm

icy wrote:He isn't fronting Queen. AL himself says he is a guest.

Yes, while his Twitter header said „Frontman for Queen“ :lol:
He’s a nice, clever and polite guy, who knows Queen‘s fans.
Last edited by Nicki79 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Nicki79 wrote:

He’s a nice, clever and courteous guy, who knows Queen‘s fans.

Well, you know how I feel. He will never be the front man for Queen for me. ;)
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Nicki79 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:03 pm

icy wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:

He’s a nice, clever and courteous guy, who knows Queen‘s fans.

Well, you know how I feel. He will never be the front man for Queen for me. ;)

I know. :)

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Nicki79 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Here is the backstage interview from Strictly. The second half is about QAL.
phpBB [video]

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby AlexKx » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:58 pm

Well, he has his new solo studio l.p. coming out I guess he will tour for it before the QUEEN tour. Time for QUEEN to start recording with him.

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Previous

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert