Q+AL performing at the Oscars 2019!

The forum to discuss the ongoing collaboration with Adam Lambert. Talk about the tour etc in here but please and chat type stuff into the designated chat thread in Fried Chicken.

Q+AL performing at the Oscars 2019!

Postby Nicki79 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 pm

It was announced today, that they will perform at the Oscars 2019, February 24th.
Now: Will they play BoRhap or a medley? Exited! :D
Last edited by Nicki79 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Re: Q+AL performing at they Oscars 2019!

Postby BitterTears » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:07 pm

They won't have 20 minutes to do the whole thing but wonder if they might do a mini Live Aid set. The piano section of Bo Rhap, a verse and chorus of Gaga, Rock You and Champions. I'm sure Brian would love to do the guitar section of Bo Rhap though.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Re: Q+AL performing at the Oscars 2019!

Postby sharon20 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:08 am

The other musical acts are only doing one song I think so maybe that's all the time they'll get as well? Hope they get longer but it's possible they won't.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Re: Q+AL performing at they Oscars 2019!

Postby Writergirl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:27 am

My guess is that they'll open the show, possibly doing "We Will Rock You" and maybe go into a medley as clips from the year's movies are played. It'll probably be between 7-10 minutes.

I think it would be super cool if they'd open with the BoRhap scene where Brian is showing the others how to do the WWRY stomp, and it segues into the band onstage doing WWRY and encouraging the audience to join in.That would be very cool.

However, to be proper, it has to include Freddie. As a screen projection or whatever. I would also like to see the cast included somehow.

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby AngelR » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 am

Here is how Queen started the collaboration with Adam in 2011 - about 7 minutes medley.

phpBB [video]

Very excited, can't believe Queen + AL are going to to Rock the Oscars. Brian was a very convincing liar a couple of weeks ago :-D
Does it mean the movie's getting all Oscars for it's nominations??? :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

AngelR
The Show Must Go On

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:53 am

ABC announced, that QAL will open the show:
http://twitter.com/abcnetwork/status/10 ... 26565?s=21

Why and especially how would they include the film cast? They aren’t musicians. I don’t believe, they will do that. It’s only 5 days to go, when would they rehearse all together?

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Writergirl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Nicki79 wrote:ABC announced, that QAL will open the show:

Why and especially how would they include the film cast? They aren’t musicians.

Good question. This is how I would do it:

The show opens on a dark stage with a large red curtain across it.

In front of the curtain are Ben Hardy, Joe Mazzello, Gwilym Lee, and Rami Malik, costumed as Queen.

They reenact the scene in BoRhap where Brian teaches them the WWRY stomp.

After Rami asks "What's the lyric?" the curtain flies up, there's Queen+AL, and they perform WWRY with a montage of the year's movies showing on a big screen behind them, timed to the beat of the music.

That's how I'd do it.

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 pm

Writergirl wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:ABC announced, that QAL will open the show:

Why and especially how would they include the film cast? They aren’t musicians.

Good question. This is how I would do it:

The show opens on a dark stage with a large red curtain across it.

In front of the curtain are Ben Hardy, Joe Mazzello, Gwilym Lee, and Rami Malik, costumed as Queen.

They reenact the scene in BoRhap where Brian teaches them the WWRY stomp.

After Rami asks "What's the lyric?" the curtain flies up, there's Queen+AL, and they perform WWRY with a montage of the year's movies showing on a big screen behind them, timed to the beat of the music.

That's how I'd do it.

Sounds interesting. But I think, that puts too much emphasis on the movie Bohemian Rhapsody.

I believe, the Academy wants Queen to open the show, because their music is on the top of the charts worldwide (in streaming) for months now. They are hip. The Oscars also go without a host this time, so that opening slot was vacant. With QAL they now have a great opener, that will for sure gather the attention of the viewers. AND they qualify, because their film has been nominated. The Academy and ABC are advertising them a lot since yesterday.
As much as fans of the movie might want it, I don’t believe, they will include the cast.

Length of their medley: „6 bloody minutes“? :lol:

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby BitterTears » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:43 pm

Don't think there's any issue with their performance heavily leaning on Bohemian Rhapsody (the movie) as that's the only reason they are there. I just worry if it would come off as corny if the cast as involved, especially if they are in character.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Writergirl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Nicki79 wrote:Sounds interesting. But I think, that puts too much emphasis on the movie Bohemian Rhapsody

The movie is why they're there at all. It's the Academy Awards, which is all about the movies. If they don't reference the movie in some way, there isn't any point to them being there.

As for the cast being involved being "corny"...again, it's an award show that is 100% about the movies. It's not the Grammys, and it's not a QAL concert. A lot of people are going to be expecting the cast to be involved in some way. They'll be disappointed if they aren't. The Oscars have done corny things lots of times; look on YouTube, there are lots of examples.

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby Nicki79 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Writergirl wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:Sounds interesting. But I think, that puts too much emphasis on the movie Bohemian Rhapsody

The movie is why they're there at all. It's the Academy Awards, which is all about the movies. If they don't reference the movie in some way, there isn't any point to them being there.

As for the cast being involved being "corny"...again, it's an award show that is 100% about the movies. It's not the Grammys, and it's not a QAL concert. A lot of people are going to be expecting the cast to be involved in some way. They'll be disappointed if they aren't. The Oscars have done corny things lots of times; look on YouTube, there are lots of examples.

Sorry, I think, if the cast was included in the QAL performance, then the casts for the other movies nominated for the best picture would have to be included in the show at some points as well. Otherwise the audience will call the show biased. I don’t think they will do it, because the show is already too long without that.

To add:
Why should they point to the fact, that the cast can’t actually perform these songs? Of course, most people know that. But there are also fans out there, who actually believe, that Rami should take Adam’s place for that performance, because he sang in parts of the film.. :roll:
Let the cast look mighty fine in their tuxedos is my opinion. First on the red carpet, then in the audience. No need to put on stage make-up, wigs and costumes in between.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Writergirl » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:02 am

Just to be clear, when I say the cast should be involved I mean doing an introduction or something like that. Obviously NOT playing, since Queen will be doing that. I just didn't want people thinking I meant that they should be up there pretending to play instruments or anything. :-)

Writergirl
We Will Rock You

Postby timmah1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:44 am

This is an easy one - just have them recreate The Miracle video :)

timmah1
Spread Your Wings

Postby Freddies Mic Stand » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:03 am

timmah1 wrote:This is an easy one - just have them recreate The Miracle video :)

There we are, the daddies :)

Freddies Mic Stand
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:38 am

All the kids in the Miracle video are like 40 now. What a thought. Damn you, time!

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to Queen + Adam Lambert