Future boxsets

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Leigh Burne

Re: Future boxsets

Post by Leigh Burne »

Dali wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:32 pmI really admire what Pink Floyd are doing with their boxsets - first came The Early Years, this year they released The Later Years and some time in the future there will be The Middle Years. They cost an arm and a leg, but they're pretty much exhaustive (especially the first one).
I don't see how anyone can "admire" The Later Years. It's one of the most disgracefully overpriced music sets to have come out. Over £400 for a box consisting predominantly of rehashed material. It might've been more palatable if it had been a veritable treasure trove of unreleased stuff like The Early Years was, but as it is the price tag was just insulting. By far the best thing in it seemed to be the expanded Delicate Sound of Thunder, and thankfully that's getting a sensible stand-alone release.

There's also the fact so many people had problems with shoddily-manufactured video discs in The Early Years that have started falling apart after a few years. Not something you'd expect from such a prestige box set.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Price point isn't something that's ever really bothered me.

Market forces will ultimately decide how much something is worth.

I collect Queen stuff, so if something comes along with an obscene price tag, a la blue vinyl Bohemian Rhapsody, then I think "Hmmm, four grand, or live without it?" The decision is easy.

Ray

Post by Ray »

There is still a difference between something being a pure collectors item (like a blue Vinyl), or if it's unreleased material that would be interesting to way more people than who are okay with paying hundreds for that.

I'm really glad they release the restored "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" concert film separately soon for a normal price, still I wish I could also have the really special live DVD of Venice from the Boxset...so it's definitely not the most fan-friendly way to release old stuff.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

It is useless to wait for any box set if QPL can only reissue old material.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It's ALL old material.

Stating the obvious, Freddie died nearly thirty years ago.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Dali wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:32 pm I really admire what Pink Floyd are doing with their boxsets - first came The Early Years, this year they released The Later Years and some time in the future there will be The Middle Years. They cost an arm and a leg, but they're pretty much exhaustive (especially the first one). They also release a companion CD of rarities, to promote the box sets. In fact, while they were working on The Later Years, they realized they had enough material left over from the Division Bell sessions for a "new" album.
It should be considered, that it took a very long time, before Pink Floyd opened the archive. And also they have a different archive, cause they developed most of their music live on stage before going into the studio.

I think Queen have released over the years more concerts and archive material than most of their contemporaries. Here are some examples:

ABBA - a handful of unreleased songs, some edited together as a medley
Van Halen – no archive release of outtakes, no live album from the early essential years
Supertramp – no archive release of outtakes
Roxy Music – no archive release of outtakes
Police – no archive release of outtakes
Rolling Stones – no archive release of outtakes from the 60s.
ELO - no archive release of outtakes
Slade – no archive release of outtakes
Dire Straits - no archive release of outtakes

And what happens, when literally „everything“ is released, can be seen with T.Rex.
The band around Marc Bolan recorded 10 original albums plus several singles between 68 and 77. After Bolan's death his complete archive was released on countless labels, ranging from good alternate takes to poor early demos. The so called „Unchained“ series is the worst, that has ever happened to a deceased artist, publishing private recordings, that were never intended for release.