Greatest Hits III [Special Edition]

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Kes

Re: Greatest Hits III [Special Edition]

Post by Kes »

It's not til you go looking, you realise.....

Two and a half sets of Japanese mini-vinyls, the US Crown Jewels set in the blue velvet box, a complete set of Polish book albums, the picture Cd set in the wooden box, 2 complete sets of 2011 remasters, all the 1991/2 Hollywood remasters, all the CDP catalogue albums, all the 0777 catalogue albums.

...And that's just scraping the surface.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

I'm reminded of the moment in The Rocky Horror Picture Show when Janet Weiss decides to tell Frank N Furter she doesn't like men with too many muscles. ;)

More compilations absolutely should come, even if they're not for 'us'. Personally, I welcome as many as they want if it keeps the music relevant. I just hoped that along the way they could put right the one they fucked up. :D

Dali

Post by Dali »

I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm repeating someone else's point. The band had an unwritten rule about the Greatest Hits compilations: If it didn't make the UK top 30, it didn't go on the record. Brian May, quiet egomaniac that he is, has gone on record saying that it bugged him that Tie Your Mother Down couldn't be on Greatest Hits, because it got to 31 in the UK. A heartbeat away from greatness.

Oh, well...

Kes

Post by Kes »

Princes Of The Universe was on there. The Bejart Ballet version of TSMGO was on there.

Action This Day

Post by Action This Day »

Dali wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:32 pm If it didn't make the UK top 30, it didn't go on the record. Brian May, quiet egomaniac that he is, has gone on record saying that it bugged him that Tie Your Mother Down couldn't be on Greatest Hits, because it got to 31 in the UK. A heartbeat away from greatness.
And with that simple decision 'Tie Your Mother Down' will never be known by the general public the way 'Flash' is. Actually 'Flash' was the highest charting UK single solely credited to Brian within Freddie's lifetime. All the other three had written Top 3 hits by 1984.

Anyway fully agree with Didy. GH3 was a mess and a complete cash-in. Has anyone even mentioned that it appeared 2 years early? It should've been a simple roundup of the remaining Top 40 singles not already on GH1/GH2, they had enough by 1999.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Of course, by the time of HITS 3, Tie Your Mother Down had been a double a-side with No One But You and reached #13, so....

Action This Day

Post by Action This Day »

Sir Didymus wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:04 am Of course, by the time of HITS 3, Tie Your Mother Down had been a double a-side with No One But You and reached #13, so....
Yes I've always wondered why they didn't put it on GH3.

Mind you Queen had a habit of breaking their own rules - even for GH2. They excluded songs which charted higher (Las Palabras de Amor) or which matched the chart placing of others that were included (Body Language, Scandal).

Strictly speaking, 'I'm Going Slightly Mad' and 'Who Wants To Live Forever' should have been left off the album as they didn't chart high enough. But they were probably included due to having good videos.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Come to think of it, if they'd waited until 2001 to release it, it almost certainly would have had that ghastly 5ive collaboration on it, so I guess we dodged a bullet, there... :lol:

Kes

Post by Kes »

First time We Will Rock You was actually a chart hit in the UK, though.

I know it's subjective, but in my opinion, it's not half as "please switch the f*cking stereo off!" as bad as the Wyclef nightmare.

"Yo, Freddie Mercury, where you at?"

Dead, mate. Didn't anyone tell you?

I know it's hard to bear, but the Queen fan club sent out tickets for this, at the Millenium Skyscape (the Dome complex), for a Japanese TV special, and I was there. Guess which bit is actually "live"? Roger only played for about two minutes, and I've got one of his totally mullered drumsticks from this!

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Wasn't Wwry a double a side in the UK with watc?

Flick of the wrist should have been on Gh1 on that basis as well