Greatest Hits

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Sir Didymus

Re: Greatest Hits

Post by Sir Didymus »

I've been refreshing the web store periodically today just in case they sprung another random picture disc on us or something... thought it was interesting to note that, if they produced an equal amount of the individual Greatest Hits tapes per band member, then they've sold out in the order of Roger first, then Brian, then John, with only Freddie still available.

Ray

Post by Ray »

I'd say this actually shows they didn't make equal numbers of the individual tapes...the Freddie one for sure wouldn't be the last to be sold out, rather the first. So they most likely made more Freddie ones than of the others.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

If they manufactured the same number of John's as Freddies, that would be insanity

Ray

Post by Ray »

John is the actual biggest star of Queen...it just never showed until those member-specifiic cassettes were made. ;)

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-ne ... rt__33563/

"Sour - the UK’s biggest album of 2021 so far - finishes the week just 270 chart sales ahead of Queen’s Greatest Hits, extending Olivia’s reign as the only artist to spend more than a week at Number 1 this year on the Official Albums Chart."

Looks like they should've done that picture disc after all... ;)

robdeighton

Post by robdeighton »

Sir Didymus wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:23 pm
The Kurgan wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:53 am
Sir Didymus wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:27 pm Just got my signed bundle in the post. The signatures are, as pictured, on a cd-booklet sized letter stock inside the sealed copy of the CD. Still, nice to have them as I somehow didn't have anything autographed by a Queen member prior to this.

And the four tapes look adorable. I don't need to play them but I'm very happy to frame them!
Can you post a picture of the signatures please?
Here you go...

I still think they should of stuck with the original 1981 typography- not a fan of this one used since 2011

Kes

Post by Kes »

I guess it's a bit like early bands experimenting with stereo. When it started, people used to put vocals on the left, drums on the right, but over the passage of time, a "standard" has won through that if you can only hear one channel, you get an overview of the whole song, a kind of conformity.

Imagery, and graphic design has followed a similar pattern. It's all about what they think puts them across to the most people.

Ray

Post by Ray »

As someone who wasn't around in 1981, I just looked up the original cover, surprised to learn they changed it a bit...or I forgot about it because I didn't listen to the GH albums anymore since they were the first two (after Live Killers) that got me into Queen. And I rather wanted to know the songs in the context of their original studio albums, since I wanted to listen to everything anyways.

Imo the font they used is not that big/significant a difference...but what looks really silly to me is the photo of them that's in that weird angle. oO I guess that looked kinda cool/futuristic in 81? To me it just looks silly and the new version without that weird angle looks much better. They could have stayed with the old font, but I guess the original one looks a bit dated compared to the new one by now. Overall, I think the new cover is better and I get the changes.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

At the three quarters mark, Greatest Hits is the third biggest album in the UK for 2021.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-ne ... ar__32850/