Greatest Hits

The studio albums, live releases, compilations and box sets
Kes

Re: Greatest Hits

Post by Kes »

Sat there with a pen, rewinding them.

I see the attraction of resurgance of vinyl. Looking back, cassettes at the time had an advantage of being portable, small and convenient, and the disadvanage of not being able to withstand heat, magnetism, they seize up and stretch the tapes, or being f*cking eaten by the machines that played them.

In fact they're absolutely hideous, and compared to minidiscs, cds, downloads and streaming, are largely pointless.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Sir Didymus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:13 pm While it's certainly a niche market, there's definitely scope for a full set of Queen studio albums being reissued on cassette. I doubt I'd buy them myself, but they'd do enough business on them to justify it, I reckon!
Really? Something like 150,000 cassettes sold last year in the UK, and you think enough of those people might want a full set of Queen albums AND not already have them?

Ray

Post by Ray »

Kes wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:37 pm Sat there with a pen, rewinding them.

I see the attraction of resurgance of vinyl. Looking back, cassettes at the time had an advantage of being portable, small and convenient, and the disadvanage of not being able to withstand heat, magnetism, they seize up and stretch the tapes, or being f*cking eaten by the machines that played them.

In fact they're absolutely hideous, and compared to minidiscs, cds, downloads and streaming, are largely pointless.
Exactly. I was really surprised when I suddenly saw some cassettes in my local Saturn market last year, only about 20 of them, but still, and the "Bohemian Rhapsody" soundtrack was one of them. I grew up with cassettes and liked them at the time, but today I see absolutely zero sense in buying them except for the usual collecting for collecting's sake. It's the same as with VHS, just outdated in every sense.

Aside from that, I haven't heard to Greatest Hits in years. My first three Queen albums were "Live Killers", and then both GH 1+2. Not a bad start at all in general, the problem is though that after having three compilations it's weird to listen to the actual albums. You then have your GH and LK tracks there mixed with the still new other ones in between. It took me years to stop seeing the studio albums like that and actually see them now as album tracks alongside the others, not as "the song from GH/LK".

That's why I don't like compilation albums in general. They're good for the many "casual fans" who just want a collection of the big hits. But if I really like a band/musician, I want to listen to the actual albums, at best even in chronological order.

The only thing that still remains from the GH albums to me is the different version of "I Want It All" that I still prefer to the album version...the song just flows way better there than with that weird order of song parts on the album version. I always get a little annoyed when the solo doesn't yet start at the part where it "should" start...like I know it from the GHII version of the song. :lol:

Kes

Post by Kes »

If you look at the history of I Want It All in the US, One of the major releases was screwed up. I'm not sure if it was the first Capitol album issue, or the first Hollywood album issue. It had half of the first chorus chopped out.

To add in the confusion, there's a third version that's on Queen Rocks, which is a hybrid between the single and album versions, it's effectively the album version with the single's intro.

I guess I feel similar about the US 7" of Radio Ga Ga, it has edits, that just sound wrong to me, everywhere else got the full album version as a single release,, the US got an edit.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Generic username wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:37 pm
Sir Didymus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:13 pm While it's certainly a niche market, there's definitely scope for a full set of Queen studio albums being reissued on cassette. I doubt I'd buy them myself, but they'd do enough business on them to justify it, I reckon!
Really? Something like 150,000 cassettes sold last year in the UK, and you think enough of those people might want a full set of Queen albums AND not already have them?
100%. Because cassettes are incredibly popular with younger 'collectors' at present. And hell, if Bjork can sell a whole series of her albums reissued on cassette, I'm pretty sure Queen can, especially to newer fans who hopped on board with the film. Plus you have the collectors who just want a copy of everything, and the ebay scalpers who think they'll be worth reselling at inflated prices.

Honestly, press 1,000 copies of each, sell them at £8 a pop, and watch them fly. Maybe do them in batches of 4-5 at a time... but they'll absolutely sell out in a matter of days. One look at the amount of tat that sells out on the QOL store can tell you that much.
Kes wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:37 pm Sat there with a pen, rewinding them.

I don't see the appeal either, and the only ones I've bought in the last decade have been ones that came as a 'bundle' with something else and I haven't bothered playing them... and yet, there they are, making easy cash for a lot of artists right now. IIRC, there were SEVEN different versions of Kylie's latest album on cassette (standard, deluxe, and then five limited edition covers) and all of them played their part in securing that #1 chart placing. Clearly from the looks of TM Store, there's enough of a market in cassettes now to make it worth it - they're cheap to produce and highly collectable til this bubble bursts... so why not have one last print run for them?

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

They could definitely do a cassette version of the studio collection, make all the cassettes different colours etc and put them in a nice box.

I don't know how many they'd actually have to sell to break even though and wouldn't want to guess. I do sort of see the cassette revival stalling though as, unlike vinyl, there's not really as many reasons to actually want your music on cassette. With vinyl, you lose convenience but can argue you prefer the sound over digital alternatives. Not sure if as many people would argue the same about cassette.

Having said that, did anyone buy the Studio Collection on vinyl to listen to? I bought that purely for collecting, and wouldn't even risk those records on my turntable. I wonder if most people who bought it are the same or not?

Ray

Post by Ray »

Sure, if they can sell perfume, socks and coins, they can as well sell cassettes. If Brain was into old home video stuff as much as he is into 3d photos, we would have Wembley even on Super 8 and laser disc...(better google quick)...lol, there even IS a laser disc of Wembley. :lol:

Kes

Post by Kes »

Ray wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:58 pm ..(better google quick)...lol, there even IS a laser disc of Wembley. :lol:
Apparently, still a very popular format in Japan.

Certainly every Queen home video release up to Queen Rocks is available on laserdisc.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Since we never had those, I was so surprised when I ever heard of them...giant CDs with movies on them. :lol:

So glad we have Blu-rays today. Also from Queen. I wish there will come the day we get all Greatest Flix on Blu-ray as well. The DVDs are still great, but for a band like Queen it would be the right thing to also bring those over to Blu-ray.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Being fair, the quality on them is a bit crap, but they had a few advantages over VHS tapes, sound quality being one of them. I've got a player for them, but probably haven't watched one in five years.

As regards Greatest Flix on blu-ray, you are one of many to wish for this, and many complain about things like the aspect ratio on the past DVDs GVH 1 & 2. Their best solution is to put as many formats on there as possible original aspect ratio, cropped, widescreen, original stereo, 5.1 surround, remastered stereo. Etc etc.

They were looking at chucking them out in 3D, not really neccessary in my view.